advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple's M3 products, you buying anything?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 31, 2023 06:56PM
iMac
14" MacBook Semi Pro
14" Macbook Pro
16" MacBook Pro

What's looking good to you? Buying anything?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple's M3 products, you buying anything?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 31, 2023 07:00PM
Not yet. I’ve got over $2,000 in points on my Citi card that I could use for a new Mac but I just don’t need one.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 31, 2023 07:05PM
I'm hoping to buy something really cheap that was made "obsolete" by an M3, like a MacBook Pro with an M1 or M2.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 31, 2023 07:07PM
I completed my Apple Silicon transition with M1 Max products, right around the M2 Pro/Max/Ultra debut so I could get things over half off (used) since I like a lot of built-in storage. Which poses a quandary with these new systems. They're so fast that there's no compelling reason to upgrade, and I have so "much" invested in the storage that can't be transferred it presents another "obstacle" to upgrading.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 31, 2023 07:47PM
I'm sort of kind of considering a 14" MBP for the Space Black and T4.

But 512/18 is where I cheap out.

If it were possible (it's not, I know that) to get say 24G for +$200, I'd probably do that.

I could go MBSP, 512/24 for the same price as the above MBP, if I pass on the Space Black and T4.

There may be other stuff but that's probably of no consequence to me.

The main thing is the 14" screen in a box that not much larger than my M1 MBA.

If there were/is to be an M3 MBA, it probably would be available with more than 16-18G, and not Space Black, maybe no T4.

I'm not sure that would tempt me, but my time with this M1 MBA tells me not to own another 'Book with only 8G.

But I'm in no hurry.

Now if the new iron included a lighted Apple in the lid, I'd have ordered already.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 31, 2023 08:01PM
I'm set for now. Have an M2 from work and an older intel MacBook Pro for home use. I suspect I'm good for a long time. I do my part with my monthly Apple One fee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2023 08:03PM by mattkime.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 31, 2023 08:10PM
Only one computer on the shopping list - replacing my son's beloved 2013 MBA.

We ended up getting him a new M2 iPad Pro earlier this year - he actually knows how to use an iPad Pro, and his original 12.9 had all sorts of screen issues.

He has a windows desktop to game, so my guess is his MBA could still serve him for another year or 2.
Posted by: Don C
Date: October 31, 2023 09:07PM
My 2017 iMac can no longer do a simple pivot table in Excel so it is due for replacing and my 2010 MBP is just shutting down every now and again, so new iron is probably calling me. The MBP is mostly a music player for my dance group, and is occasionally called on to run a pivot table so M1 will likely be sufficient. Need to decide if the replacement should be MBP or MBA. I need lots of storage for the music library.
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 31, 2023 09:10PM
Gareth
I completed my Apple Silicon transition with M1 Max products, right around the M2 Pro/Max/Ultra debut so I could get things over half off (used) since I like a lot of built-in storage. Which poses a quandary with these new systems. They're so fast that there's no compelling reason to upgrade, and I have so "much" invested in the storage that can't be transferred it presents another "obstacle" to upgrading.

Yeah. When things are already "scary fast", how much does a 50% speed bump matter? Now for someone crunching some very heavy duty data or trying to run their own AI factory, maybe. But for those of us already in the Silicon Club? Hard to justify. Much easier justification for those who are still nursing a perfectly good Intel Mac along, however, if for no other reason than the global warming those boxes are contributing to on an hourly basis.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 31, 2023 09:11PM
I'll be in the market for an M5

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 31, 2023 09:26PM
Don C
I need lots of storage for the music library.

External.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 31, 2023 09:40PM
Don C
Need to decide if the replacement should be MBP or MBA. I need lots of storage for the music library.

Yup, external will be cheaper, and depends on what you mean by "lots". MBA tops out at 2TB internal storage while the MBP will go up to 8TB, but of course, there's a very heavy Apple Tax to be paid for the larger storage capacities (one reason why I bought my machines used!).
Posted by: Diana
Date: November 01, 2023 12:22AM
The 128GB RAM was interesting; however, the stuff I’m doing has proven to be more than the 300+ GB workstation can handle, so it looks like to use the function I want to use will require the cluster at work. Otherwise, I could determine what the function does, how it does it, and implement the same thing in much smaller chunks. Otherwise, a downsampling is necessary which involves having to run multiple downsampled sets from the complete data, hoping that the rare populations will be represented well enough to pull out of any noise present. Then comes the problem of interpreting each run and consolidating the results.

Truly big data is exciting. Truly big data sucks sometimes as well.

So, to answer the question, not this time around. If they make what was the 5K iMac Pro (512GB RAM) again, I might think about it. I’m not buying a $50K computer with 1.5TB RAM for work purposes. But it would be sweet if work bought one for me (not happening, but I can daydream).
Date: November 01, 2023 10:00AM
I have several external drives (I dunno, did the elves bring them one Christmas eve?) which are large enough to hold the music library, but carrying an external drive to attach to an MBP or MBA is not ideal.

I'll see what is available in the refurbished market once prices reset given the new entries.
Posted by: rz
Date: November 01, 2023 11:32AM
Don C
I have several external drives (I dunno, did the elves bring them one Christmas eve?) which are large enough to hold the music library, but carrying an external drive to attach to an MBP or MBA is not ideal.

I'll see what is available in the refurbished market once prices reset given the new entries.

1TB MicroSD cards are fairly inexpensive and you can leave it in the machine all the time. Not super fast, but if it's just to hold your music you don't really need it to be all that fast.
Date: November 01, 2023 04:39PM
Did not know about microSD cards. Well I have heard of them, but they are not something I would have thought about.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 01, 2023 06:02PM
Nope.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020