The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
some EV reading
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 05, 2023 01:10PM
5 Best EVs on the Market Right Now

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: some EV reading
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 05, 2023 01:45PM
without looking -- im gonna guess the 5 best are the 5 best selling

So -- 3, Y, mach e, boltEV and... one of the kia/Hyundais?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 05, 2023 01:48PM
Good list and easy to read.

Did not provide a key column - which ones have access to fast charging networks like SuperChargers.

Our recent Tesla Model Y dual motor long range without premium software cost ~$45k (including $7500 US tac break), giving a financial reference not found in the article.

I very much like the looks of the Ioniq 6, and considered it to buy. But they haven't signed up for NACS connectors ASAIK.

I know someone who owned a Ford MachE and loved driving it, just hating the lack of easy charging so sold it for a PHEV.

3 more years, and this particular set of growing pains for the EV industry will be over.

Looking forward to solid state batteries etc. Saw a report for one such battery (critically, not Toyota's vaporware) that will be going into production in 2025. Seemed legitimate, but the timeline is still aggressively marketed. So maybe 2026 for first production cars?

Add 3 more years, and that tech will settle down. Might be time for us to consider a replacement for our first gen Model Y.

And so the technology cycle goes!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 05, 2023 02:01PM
The article made some good points, although including the really expensive BMW and Genesis models, then complaining about the cost of EV's is ridiculous.

By all rights, the EV6, the GV60 and the Ioniq 6 are all built on the same platform. So the Ioniq 5 should have been on that list too. Which one you pick is a matter of style preference.

The Bolt EV and EUV should have been on the list. The article mentions reliability issues...which is really all about the battery issue with early Bolts. Just about all of the batteries have been replaced on the 2017-19 models. Actual issues with the 2020+ models are rarer than getting struck by lightning twice a lifetime. Our Bolts were probably the most reliable cars I have owned. We moved on only to get AWD.

My list would have been:

Model 3
Ioniq 5
Ioniq 6
EV6
Bolt EV/EUV

In no particular order...style, needs and finances being the biggest variables.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: November 05, 2023 02:07PM
Markintosh
The article made some good points, although including the really expensive BMW and Genesis models, then complaining about the cost of EV's is ridiculous.

By all rights, the EV6, the GV60 and the Ioniq 6 are all built on the same platform. So the Ioniq 5 should have been on that list too. Which one you pick is a matter of style preference.

The Bolt EV and EUV should have been on the list. The article mentions reliability issues...which is really all about the battery issue with early Bolts. Just about all of the batteries have been replaced on the 2017-19 models. Actual issues with the 2020+ models are rarer than getting struck by lightning twice a lifetime. Our Bolts were probably the most reliable cars I have owned. We moved on only to get AWD.

My list would have been:

Model 3
Ioniq 5
Ioniq 6
EV6
Bolt EV/EUV

In no particular order...style, needs and finances being the biggest variables.

I agree on the Bolt except they were officially discontinued (before pledging to bring them back). So IF you can find inventory, and are ok with mid-speed charging, go for it.

We ALMOST pulled the trigger on one in Jan before betting on a 2017 Volt instead.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 05, 2023 02:41PM
sekker
Did not provide a key column - which ones have access to fast charging networks like SuperChargers.

Not sure what you mean.

All EVs have access to DCFC.

Only Tesla currently has access to the Tesla supercharging network. The number of Tesla stations that support DCFC to non-Teslas via the Magic Dock are so few as to not be worth mentioning at this point.

Maybe in a couple years when other EVs start shipping with NACS connectors and manufacturers of J-1772 EVs start providing Tesla-approved adapters it will be different.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 05, 2023 03:31PM
sekker
Looking forward to solid state batteries etc.

Solid state batteries with much-improved capacity will be the primary impetus for my next EV purchase some years down the road.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 05, 2023 04:00PM
N-OS X-tasy!
sekker

Solid state batteries with much-improved capacity will be the primary impetus for my next EV purchase some years down the road.

Back in the ‘60’s I waited until I could get what I really wanted, a 400HP car. Affordable ones finally came out in the late ‘90’s. I’m so glad I waited although my ‘61 Opel was getting to be a real rust bucket by then.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 05, 2023 04:50PM
I keep reading great things about the Ioniq cars.

Hurts like a bastid...
Date: November 05, 2023 06:21PM
Lux Interior
sekker

Not sure what you mean.

Only Tesla currently has access to the Tesla supercharging network. The number of Tesla stations that support DCFC to non-Teslas via the Magic Dock are so few as to not be worth mentioning at this point.

Maybe in a couple years when other EVs start shipping with NACS connectors and manufacturers of J-1772 EVs start providing Tesla-approved adapters it will be different.

Have you tried to use the non-Tesla charging networks?!

Actually, CCS-enabled vehicles can charge at Superchargers. There are about 10 such non-Tesla models, with many more to come.

If you are waiting for solid state battery tech, it's going to be awhile because you will also then be restricted to the early models. And those will undoubtedly be rolled out in the high profit margin models, which will be the competitors to the Model S etc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 05, 2023 06:34PM
Speedy
N-OS X-tasy!
sekker

Back in the ‘60’s I waited until I could get what I really wanted, a 400HP car. Affordable ones finally came out in the late ‘90’s. I’m so glad I waited although my ‘61 Opel was getting to be a real rust bucket by then.

I'm completely happy with the Tesla MYLR I purchased a few months ago, but a higher capacity battery wouldn't suck.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 05, 2023 06:41PM
Rivian chargers spotted in Waynesboro, Va today.

It’s a plus they are expanding their network.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 05, 2023 09:48PM
I was born there. My mom was a nurse at the hospital too.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: November 05, 2023 10:25PM
The big thing is that if you live in a single family home and can install a 240v charger, most people would rarely need to visit a DCFC station of any kind.

A huge part of the crush right now is that there are 19 different EV's being sold that include 1-2 years of free charging, mostly at Electrify America. Right now it's the cheapest way for me to charge our Ioniq 5, so that's what we do. But once that is over, at current rates, charging at home is 1/3 the cost of DCFC charging and about 1/3 the cost of equivalent gasoline.

Once a few companies offered this perk, everyone else had to match it to stay in the game. Ultimately that game has to end soon. Then most DCFC stations will be used for travelers and people that are apartment dwellers that have not installed chargers. Where we live all new construction includes car chargers. We plan to install one in the next year, once our savings rebound a bit from building an ADU.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 06, 2023 09:52AM
sekker
Lux Interior
sekker

Not sure what you mean.

Have you tried to use the non-Tesla charging networks?!

Actually, CCS-enabled vehicles can charge at Superchargers. There are about 10 such non-Tesla models, with many more to come.

Yes. I have charged at EA and EVGo chargers. My EVs are CCS/J-1772 only.

And TEN Magic-dock enabled out of how many? Like I said, it's insignificant right now.

Are you trying to say that only Teslas can DCFC? Seriously, I don't understand the point you are trying to make.
Posted by: dk62
Date: November 06, 2023 12:02PM
Does anyone have experience with VW ID4?
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 06, 2023 12:14PM
“ a higher capacity battery wouldn't suck “

You have a higher capacity battery but it is intentionally crippled..
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 06, 2023 12:15PM
VW ID4.
Last year I Turo'd a Polestar 2. Met many other owners at the pump.
One was a ID4 owner. He loved it. Good looking beast too.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: dk62
Date: November 06, 2023 01:17PM
Fritz
VW ID4.
Last year I Turo'd a Polestar 2. Met many other owners at the pump.
One was a ID4 owner. He loved it. Good looking beast too.

Thanks. That is what I am considering if I change jobs and have to start commuting.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 06, 2023 01:54PM
In my day, we had to feed daily whether we went anywhere or not, muck the stall weekly, towel off and groom after every trip. Sometimes the horse, too.
Date: November 06, 2023 02:16PM
dk62

Reading on Reddit, the ID.4 gets panned, mostly for reliability. One discussion on the "askcarsales" thread had salemen suggesting that the ID.4 had resulted in more buybacks than they had seen since Dieselgate.

That said I see a lot of them around here.

Posted by: DinerDave
Date: November 06, 2023 03:51PM
Markintosh
dk62

Reading on Reddit, the ID.4 gets panned, mostly for reliability. One discussion on the "askcarsales" thread had salemen suggesting that the ID.4 had resulted in more buybacks than they had seen since Dieselgate.

"Panned mostly for reliability"
To me this is suspect.
New tech in its infancy, new design car from ground up.
How can you predict poor reliability?

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: kj
Date: November 07, 2023 10:53PM
btfc
“ a higher capacity battery wouldn't suck “

You have a higher capacity battery but it is intentionally crippled..

Huh?
Posted by: kj
Date: November 07, 2023 10:55PM
DinerDave
Markintosh
dk62

"Panned mostly for reliability"
To me this is suspect.
New tech in its infancy, new design car from ground up.
How can you predict poor reliability?

Dave

I thought the software was the main gripe. Supposed to be fixed, but wasn’t.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 277
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020