Not Even 6PM and it’s Dark
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 05, 2023 07:35PM
Sigh…
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not Even 6PM and it’s Dark
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 05, 2023 08:10PM
It totally sucks IMO but things will not change unless we speak up.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 05, 2023 10:21PM
Lucky you

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 05, 2023 10:30PM
Just a friendly reminder that the US experimented with year round Daylight Savings time in 1973. During the winter months, sunrise was not until after 8am and the incidence of kids getting run down on the way to school went way up, as well as commute time crashes by adults. I can remember that spooky feeling of waiting at the school bus stop in complete darkness.

If we standardize on one thing, it probably should be standard time. The change is not always easy, but in my mind it makes sense.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2023 10:38PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: November 05, 2023 10:36PM
Didn't someone post this on the forum a few years ago? Wherever it came from, it's always on my mind this time of year
Posted by: Wags
Date: November 05, 2023 10:52PM
I'm north of the 45 parallel, so dark at 4:30 is coming. But hey, you gt it all back in the summer.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 05, 2023 11:04PM
Markintosh
Just a friendly reminder that the US experimented with year round Daylight Savings time in 1973. During the winter months, sunrise was not until after 8am and the incidence of kids getting run down on the way to school went way up, as well as commute time crashes by adults. I can remember that spooky feeling of waiting at the school bus stop in complete darkness.

If we standardize on one thing, it probably should be standard time. The change is not always easy, but in my mind it makes sense.

And in my locale, standard time would mean sunrise a little before 5am in late June.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 06, 2023 12:17AM
I was at Elmendorf one year around the winter solstice.

Sun came up around 10 or so, and back down around 2ish.

Go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark.

Sun never got very high up in the sky. Real weak light.

The summer is much worse. You need blackout shades and drapes to get to sleep.

No fireworks display on the 4th of July since it's still light after midnight, so what's the point.

Very weird. I wouldn't want to live there.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 06, 2023 05:33AM
Personally I like the early morning light.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 06, 2023 09:25AM
Regarding the incidents of school kids getting run over on the way to school I always see brought up, I haven't really ever found any empirical evidence of this, but even if it was one child that's too many.

On the other hand, schools could start at a decent hour instead of zero dark thirty.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 06, 2023 10:38AM
Zoidberg
Regarding the incidents of school kids getting run over on the way to school I always see brought up, I haven't really ever found any empirical evidence of this, but even if it was one child that's too many.

On the other hand, schools could start at a decent hour instead of zero dark thirty.

The internet wasn't really a thing in 1973

Old Fogette

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 06, 2023 11:33AM
Lizabeth
It totally sucks IMO but things will not change unless we speak up.

I have no desire to see any change.

Just because the "against it" crowd are vocal doesn't mean they are in the majority.

I must have been in my 30s or 40s before I even knew that people hated DST.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 06, 2023 01:18PM
Zoidberg

Separate from the DST/standard time thing, schools starting later has been a long-running debate, with some research showing a later start would be beneficial to learning.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 06, 2023 01:29PM
If you serve a population, like a school, at risk for traveling in darkness, you could just begin your organization's day an hour later. Of course, if your population also has parents that work first shift, it would be nice if those organizations also changed their hours for childcare purposes. Which of course, gets messy fast, so let's have everybody adjust their clocks for the maximum daylight in a given season. Who's with me?
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 06, 2023 01:34PM
Just an evil plot by morning people to mess with the rest of us…
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 295
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020