advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Veterans' Day
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 10, 2023 07:27AM
Seems almost inappropriate to say 'Happy Veterans' Day, so I'll just say "Thanks" to all the veterans on this forum. And remember those who have left us.

-- oops. And as I was just reminded by an older brother, it's also Happy Birthday to the USMC!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2023 07:45AM by wurm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Veterans' Day
Posted by: DP
Date: November 10, 2023 07:38AM
patriot smiley

Something different.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 10, 2023 08:00AM
wurm
Seems almost inappropriate to say 'Happy Veterans' Day, so I'll just say "Thanks" to all the veterans on this forum. And remember those who have left us.

-- oops. And as I was just reminded by an older brother, it's also Happy Birthday to the USMC!

Why inappropriate?

Now "Happy Memorial Day" is kind of an oxymoron...
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 10, 2023 08:23AM
freeradical
wurm

Why inappropriate?

Now "Happy Memorial Day" is kind of an oxymoron...

Veterans Day is to honor those that served. Memorial Day honors those that made the ultimate sacrifice for us.
Posted by: TLB
Date: November 10, 2023 08:28AM
Is it today or tomorrow? Today is just the Federal day off, Veteran's Day is always November 11th.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 10, 2023 08:38AM
Actually, Veterans Day is tomorrow, November 11th, but some may have the day off today as it falls on a Saturday this year.

"Because it is a federal holiday, some American workers and many students have Veterans Day off from work or school. When Veterans Day falls on a Saturday then either Saturday or the preceding Friday may be designated as the holiday, whereas if it falls on a Sunday it is typically observed on the following Monday. When it falls on the weekend many private companies offer it as a floating holiday where employees can choose some other day. A Society for Human Resource Management poll in 2010 found that 21 percent of employers planned to observe the holiday in 2011."
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 10, 2023 09:07AM
What he actually said was 'almost inappropriate.

For a lot of vets, it's just another day, and there's nothing happy about it.

For a lot of vets, the focus recalls memories that aren't happy.

For a lot of vets and others, it is a cause for celebrating survival and appreciation.

Though Veteran's Day and Memorial Day are not the same thing, it's not easy for some vets to make that distinction.

That someone might recognize the dichotomy of 'Happy Veteran's Day' is no doubt appreciated by some of those Vets and families of those beyond celebration.

I'm not one to rain on a parade, and don't believe anybody should feel guilty or awkward about 'happy', as that's what Veteran's Day is about — celebrating the appreciation of answering the call of duty.

Celebrating what we have, and not what we've lost — that's a good thing.

That someone recognizes it's possibly still a day of mixed emotions for others is appreciated.

Giving a nod to the underlying solemness on Veterans Day is appreciated, though certainly not a requirement.

I have mixed emotions about celebrating Veterans Day on any day other than 11 Nov because to me, that trivializes it to having a three-day weekend, which has been done in the past.

That's no cause for celebration, for me.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 10, 2023 09:20AM
RAMd®d
What he actually said was 'almost inappropriate.

For a lot of vets, it's just another day, and there's nothing happy about it.

For a lot of vets, the focus recalls memories that aren't happy.

For a lot of vets and others, it is a cause for celebrating survival and appreciation.

Though Veteran's Day and Memorial Day are not the same thing, it's not easy for some vets to make that distinction.

That someone might recognize the dichotomy of 'Happy Veteran's Day' is no doubt appreciated by some of those Vets and families of those beyond celebration.

I'm not one to rain on a parade, and don't believe anybody should feel guilty or awkward about 'happy', as that's what Veteran's Day is about — celebrating the appreciation of answering the call of duty.

Celebrating what we have, and not what we've lost — that's a good thing.

That someone recognizes it's possibly still a day of mixed emotions for others is appreciated.

Giving a nod to the underlying solemness on Veterans Day is appreciated, though certainly not a requirement.

I have mixed emotions about celebrating Veterans Day on any day other than 11 Nov because to me, that trivializes it to having a three-day weekend, which has been done in the past.

That's no cause for celebration, for me.

No surprise that it's mixed for many Vets, especially those that lost brothers along the way. I never served but have friends and family who did. I see and hear about some of the challenges.
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 10, 2023 09:33AM
You are of course, correct about the date. I saw it on the calendar and missed the "Observed". Happy or otherwise, I'll just go with "Thank you".
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 10, 2023 11:18AM
This isn’t mine but I thought it was a good haiku

Waving flags
Separating patriots
From patriots

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 10, 2023 01:42PM
Birthday!
Marine Corp Birthday!

Happy Happy Birthday Marines!

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Smote
Date: November 10, 2023 06:07PM
Absolutely!!!!!! patriot smiley

"Defending your own life when in immediate danger to me is a basic right of each person. " Lemon Drop 11/17/2023 03:10 pm

Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) Private citizens have the right under the Second Amendment to possess an ordinary type of weapon and use it for lawful, historically established situations such as self-defense in a home, even when there is no relationship to a local militia.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner." Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1982. Digitized September 30, 2008.

From the NYSRPA v Bruen "Today, we decline to adopt that two-part approach. . . . Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many. Step one of the predominant framework is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment's text, as informed by history."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 384
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020