advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
LaCie External HD question
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 17, 2023 12:33PM
I have this: LaCie Hard Disk 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive designed by Neil Poulton 301304U

I bought it back in the day but can't find a receipt for it or remember when I bought it. I've been using it for work purposes continuously since Fall 2018*.

I'm getting ready to retire and trying to figure out:
a. how to get them to pay me for this one without a receipt - can't even find prices for it online. I don't want to just "donate" it because TPTB are asses.
b. I want to avoid having to transfer the work files onto something else for them.
c. I'd rather just package this up and send it to them because it's been in continuous use for 5 years and I have others I use for my personal stuff.
d. It's been in continuous use since Fall 2018.

Thoughts? TIA

*I know I should have charged them for it then but don't go there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2023 01:08PM by Lizabeth.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: LaCie External HD question
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: November 17, 2023 12:57PM
Thoughts: That drive is toast. (Statistically, by age.)

Have them buy a new drive, shipped to you. Populate the new drive from the USB 2.0 drive. Send them the new drive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2023 01:47PM by Tiangou.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 17, 2023 12:58PM
"how to get them to pay me for this one without a receipt" - I think 'they' would be the one to ask. I suppose you could go to archive.org and check LaCie's webpage back then and get their retail price. I certainly wouldn't accept that instead of a receipt, but maybe 'they' will.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 17, 2023 01:15PM
I don't know. I think you're just out of luck. If it was me, I'd just "donate" it because that drive isn't worth the trouble and you don't want to bother transferring files.
(And you're "sticking" it to them enough by sending them a "heavy" 3.5" slow hard drive with a power adapter instead of a small bus-powered SSD USB drive).

Historical pricing: [camelcamelcamel.com]

Looks like it was last sold "new" in 2012 for around $85. If an employee submitted a receipt to me for a 10+ year old drive, I'd be like WTF?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2023 01:21PM by Gareth.
Date: November 17, 2023 01:20PM
Gareth
I don't know. I think you're just out of luck. If it was me, I'd just "donate" it because that drive isn't worth the trouble and you don't want to bother transferring files.

Historical pricing: [camelcamelcamel.com]

Looks like it was last sold "new" in 2012 for around $85. If an employee submitted a receipt to me for a 10+ year old drive, I'd be like WTF?

I'm vaguely remembering that I bought it at Tekserve back in the day and it was on sale for less than $100. My credit card statements only go back to 2016 and I'm pretty sure it was before that since Tekserve closed Fall 2016. I miss that place...
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 17, 2023 02:10PM
Lizabeth,

Speaking as the owner of a company, if an employee asked me to refund him/her for the purchase of a drive he/she bought many years ago, my initial answer would be no. The reason is that it is on the employee to provide proof of purchase and ask for reimbursement in a timely manner.

I say initial answer because part of the response depends on the relationship I have with the employee. If the employee has been exceptional over the years, is truly a good person who didn't just come to work to do the job, I'd consider making an exception and give him/her the refund. It isn't like $85.00 will break the bank. Key, though, would be getting my hands on a copy of the data and securely erasing the La Cie drive.

The other option I'd do is buy a cheap 1TB SSD, have you copy the data to it and let you keep the La Cie drive. It isn't like 1TB drives are expensive these days. Even a 1TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 drive can be had for about $50.00.

[www.amazon.com]

Again, key would be getting a copy of the data and making sure the La Cie drive was securely erased.

Robert
Date: November 17, 2023 04:09PM
Robert M
Lizabeth,

Speaking as the owner of a company, if an employee asked me to refund him/her for the purchase of a drive he/she bought many years ago, my initial answer would be no. The reason is that it is on the employee to provide proof of purchase and ask for reimbursement in a timely manner.

I say initial answer because part of the response depends on the relationship I have with the employee. If the employee has been exceptional over the years, is truly a good person who didn't just come to work to do the job, I'd consider making an exception and give him/her the refund. It isn't like $85.00 will break the bank. Key, though, would be getting my hands on a copy of the data and securely erasing the La Cie drive.

The other option I'd do is buy a cheap 1TB SSD, have you copy the data to it and let you keep the La Cie drive. It isn't like 1TB drives are expensive these days. Even a 1TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 drive can be had for about $50.00.

[www.amazon.com]

Again, key would be getting a copy of the data and making sure the La Cie drive was securely erased.

Robert

Thank you Robert this helps clarify things. I believe I will buy a new one and do the transfer and get paid for that HD.

I will say that the LaCie has been a real workhorse. Not a bit of trouble with it over the past 5 years of use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2023 04:14PM by Lizabeth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 349
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020