advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
cynical Amazon pricing question
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 18, 2023 09:57AM
If I'm thinking of buying a particular item and I add it to my Wish List as a way of not having to hunt for it again when I'm ready to buy, which is more likely that Amazon might do?

1: Jack up the price for Black Friday (or the holidays in general)
2: Lower the price for Black Friday (or the holidays in general)
3: Neither, because price changes are totally random

The cynic in me thinks #1. The optimist in me thinks #2. The realist in me thinks #3. What do you thinK?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: cynical Amazon pricing question
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 18, 2023 10:29AM
My cynical expectation is the typical price activity is to jack the price up before the holidays, then drop it to just above 'MSRP' and pretend that a good price. After that adjust the price based on sales up to Cyber Monday. If it has sold adequately, no more reductions. It varies depending on if an item is exclusive or mostly sold by Bez-azon (they jack the price up), or if it's cheap and they want to use it as a loss leader.

For a while, Home Depot was seriously beating my local Fred Meyer on household products that they both stocked. This heavily implies that Freddy was engaging in greedflation/price-gouging like Bez-azon and the meat processing industry.

Likely paywalled
https: //www.wsj.com/business/retail/amazon-used-secret-project-nessie-algorithm-to-raise-prices-6c593706
Apologies for the X link.
https: //twitter.com/accountable_us/status/1709617137927504358

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: November 18, 2023 10:31AM
Both 1 and 2 are about equally distributed, based on what I have saved in my cart for the last couple of months waiting for the sale.

All of the hard drives went up in price before Thanksgiving and for the ones that went on sale, they're now "down" to about 10% above where they were a month ago as we enter the lead up to Black Friday.

The SSDs went up in price by quite a lot, but have all come down for Black Friday, some of them considerably below where they were a month ago.

The other electronics' prices went up/down just a few pennies every few days in the lead up to Black Friday and those on sale now have decent discounts, typically 20% below where they were a month ago.

For the stuff that's not on sale, prices go up/down by a few pennies every day or two. Clearly not random. If I browse for similar items on Amazon, I will usually see these prices drop by any where from $0.10 to a buck the next day. I think the algorithm catches my browsing history and drops prices every so slightly on the premise that I must be ready to jump on it if I'm looking again.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 18, 2023 10:42AM
I'd say 3 from my recent experience.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 18, 2023 11:09AM
Don’t the vendors on Amazon set their own prices there, not Amazon (except of course Amazon’s own products)?

If the vendor wants to climb on the Black Friday (or Cyber Monday) discount wagon, isn’t that entirely up to them?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 18, 2023 11:21AM
Just run the items through camelcamelcamel.com and you can see the pricing history, including what it did last holiday season.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 18, 2023 01:15PM
Sometimes I browse AMZ via Firefox so as not to leave any bread crumbs, or to compare a price to see if it's different from my being signed-in.

Don't know that actually 'saved' me anything.

Maybe even anonymous browsing affects the price.

One of the many things I dislike about AMZ is the notifications when I'm signed in, that prices of items in my cart have changed.

It's almost always by a few cents up or down, seldom more than $5.

Alexa did alert me that an item in my cart was on sale, but I ignored it.

Now I wonder what the item was, would it been on sale for a decent price, would I have still wanted it at that price...

I really could use a 14-16T external drive, but they're annoyingly pricey right now.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 220
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020