Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Target: 22-Piece Pyrex Glass Food Storage Container Set $22
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 21, 2023 09:52PM
[slickdeals.net]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Target: 22-Piece Pyrex Glass Food Storage Container Set $22
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 21, 2023 10:10PM
Crappy lids and the newer glass. I’ll pass. But thanks for the posting!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 21, 2023 11:04PM
Not only that, it's only an 11 piece set....they're counting the lids as a separate item to bring the total to 22 pieces. What a bunch of frakin liars, why this is not illegal is beyond me!
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 21, 2023 11:23PM
…and I don’t think it’s the “Pyrex” you can put in the oven.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 22, 2023 01:28AM
I have quite a few of these containers. The glass is pretty durable and withstands drops and frequent microwave use. The lids tend to split when placed into the dishwasher so best to hand wash. The lids will also split if placed in the freezer so don't do that either! From what I've read the Sophico silicone replacement lids are much better and I'll be switching to them in the future.

If you are looking for something else America's Test Kitchen picked the OXO Good Grips as their favorite in 2019 and 2018.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Smote
Date: November 22, 2023 03:20AM
thanks for the tip on the Sophico lids. We have a 6 cup we have used heavily for 2 decades for dips and leftovers. Doesn't absorb flavors or stain like plastic.

Yes, I'd rather have my mother's vintage Pyrex, but my sister got them. She does not know I have mom's pyrex potato salad bowl though.

"Defending your own life when in immediate danger to me is a basic right of each person. " Lemon Drop 11/17/2023 03:10 pm

Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) Private citizens have the right under the Second Amendment to possess an ordinary type of weapon and use it for lawful, historically established situations such as self-defense in a home, even when there is no relationship to a local militia.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner." Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1982. Digitized September 30, 2008.

From the NYSRPA v Bruen "Today, we decline to adopt that two-part approach. . . . Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many. Step one of the predominant framework is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment's text, as informed by history."
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 22, 2023 03:37AM
If I recall correctly, the 'new' Pyrex can go in the oven, just not freezer to over like the old stuff.

Or take it from the over and set in on a 'cold' counter, thermal shock being a problem with the newer glass.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 22, 2023 05:38AM
.....just fyi......Pyrex can explode into shards......happened to me twice......if you google it, you will find it happens....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 22, 2023 06:43AM
RAMd®d
If I recall correctly, the 'new' Pyrex can go in the oven, just not freezer to over like the old stuff.

Or take it from the over and set in on a 'cold' counter, thermal shock being a problem with the newer glass.

Yeah, when I was looking this info up the tempered soda glass they are selling under the US Pyrex brandname will handle something like a 90-100 degree differential. The borosilicate glass can handle over 200 degrees of differential. The tradeoff is that the borosilicate is slightly more brittle than the tempered glass and will break a bit easier if dropped or banged into something.

A company in France still has the rights to manufacture and sell Pyrex branded glassware for kitchen utensils.

Edit - meant to say that Pyrex made in France is still borosilicate glass. People still order through Amazon UK and have it shipped here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2023 09:07AM by JoeH.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 22, 2023 08:10AM
I had one pan from the 80's that lasted almost 20 years. I unknowingly replaced it with the new formulation and broke 3 in two years. Can't use the new ones to broil in the oven, ~375 F max.

It's the same thing with Mason jars. Old ones you just dump in the hot water bath, new ones need to be pre-heated or they will break.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: gadje
Date: November 22, 2023 09:06AM
How fragile our glass world has become.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 22, 2023 09:11AM
Carnos Jax
Not only that, it's only an 11 piece set....they're counting the lids as a separate item to bring the total to 22 pieces. What a bunch of frakin liars, why this is not illegal is beyond me!

Most sets of anything has done this in my recent memory judging from what I have seen on store shelves.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 498
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020