advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
local stores checing receipts at exit
Posted by: gadje
Date: November 27, 2023 06:10AM
I know you agree to this when you enroll in Costco membership but I thought the practice was illegal otherwise. I noticed that Walmart now checks receipts, and I also notice the sign at the local grocery store that they reserve the right to check receipts, although there was no one there to check receipts.

I guess retail theft is on the rise everywhere...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: local stores checing receipts at exit
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 27, 2023 06:40AM
Gadje,

Nope. The practice is legal.

<[www.lawyers.com];

Membership stores like Costco has fewer requirements than a regular retail establishment about what it can and can't do if you refuse the request. It all depends on what is in the membership agreement, which is at heart, a contract between you and the store.

Robert
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 27, 2023 06:51AM
It varies by store, none of the stores in this area do it.

The only place I have encountered it is at Sam's Club. By my observation, it is a fairly useless way to detect theft unless someone is trying to take a basketful of stolen goods. If someone wants to take something, they could just put it on the bottom under other items. The checkers never move anything to scan. I'm surprised they haven't just gone to RFID tags.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 27, 2023 07:29AM
The only place I've ever encountered receipt checking is at the local BJs Wholesale Club. I'm sure for a similar reason as Costco.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: November 27, 2023 08:09AM
I just smile and say "no, thank you." From the link Robert M. posted:

Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 27, 2023 08:26AM
It annoyed me at first but I've gotten used to it. They're not going to do anything if you find a way around them.

I think they do it to 'mark the receipt' as you're leaving - so you don't load up with the same goods again right away.

At least thats my theory.

Posted by: rz
Date: November 27, 2023 08:51AM
I don't know if they still do it, but Best Buy used to. The frickin' annoying part is that you would literally walk 5 feet from the register to the checkout guy, with him watching you the whole time, where he would demand to see your receipt. Where is the sense in that? The guy literally just saw you pay for your item and walk directly to him. Was a stolen item supposed to magically appear? I could understand (a little) if the registers were off to the side and he wasn't right there watching you check out. After reading about it (probably here), I started just saying "no thanks" as I walked by the guy. I was never detained when I did that.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 27, 2023 08:53AM
….at least they don’t check your drawers…..

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 27, 2023 09:04AM
The Walmart on the bus line does it, but not the others. BJ's does. Our local grocery does not. Nothing at the HD or Lowe's, and that's about it.

I let them do what they want.I don't try to get around them or attempt to refuse. I am not insulted. It's the job they were asked to do. If it means they don't start locking everything behind doors, then have at it.

On the bright side, it employs some of the people who werereplaced by the self check-out---hmmmmm.....if you need to hire people to protect the self-checkout....*rubs chin*

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2023 09:07AM by Acer.
Posted by: Numo
Date: November 27, 2023 09:09AM
It’s a small inconvenience that I put up with at Costco.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 27, 2023 09:18AM
rz
I don't know if they still do it, but Best Buy used to. The frickin' annoying part is that you would literally walk 5 feet from the register to the checkout guy, with him watching you the whole time, where he would demand to see your receipt. Where is the sense in that? The guy literally just saw you pay for your item and walk directly to him. Was a stolen item supposed to magically appear? I could understand (a little) if the registers were off to the side and he wasn't right there watching you check out. After reading about it (probably here), I started just saying "no thanks" as I walked by the guy. I was never detained when I did that.

Yeah, they did that. But in this state the practice had to be strictly voluntary, as there is no laws supporting it except for membership agreements. So I just ignored them. No idea if they still do, I stopped buying from Best Buy over a decade ago.
Posted by: mspace
Date: November 27, 2023 09:20AM
I don't mind the exit check as much as I mind some of the local supermarkets trying to get me to leave any other bags I have with a check-in desk as I enter. Refuse to do it. They are welcome to check me as I leave.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 27, 2023 09:23AM
JoeH
rz

Yeah, they did that. But in this state the practice had to be strictly voluntary, as there is no laws supporting it except for membership agreements. So I just ignored them. No idea if they still do, I stopped buying from Best Buy over a decade ago.

While it is voluntary, the store can also ban you for life and then trespass you if you come back if you do not cooperate with the voluntary check. So yes, you are well within your rights to say no thanks and walk out and they are well within their rights to tell you to never come back again.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: November 27, 2023 09:31AM
Since the Costco receipts are different colors depending on whether you do self checkout or not, I imagine they scrutinize the self checkouts more closely.
Date: November 27, 2023 09:41AM
C(-)ris
JoeH
rz

While it is voluntary, the store can also ban you for life and then trespass you if you come back if you do not cooperate with the voluntary check. So yes, you are well within your rights to say no thanks and walk out and they are well within their rights to tell you to never come back again.

Good luck banning someone you have no idea of who they are as they didn't stop. You are assuming they stopped you, that becomes false detention and then trying to ban you becomes unlawful retaliation. Lawyers here would and did have a great time with that, and Best Buy and other stores with that policy paid out in settlements when employees forced a stop when they did not hav actual evidence of shoplifting.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: November 27, 2023 09:47AM
At least stores have mostly quit demanding photo ID with charge cards. They were always helpfully informing me that it was "for my protection," and were really upset that I didn't wish to be protected.
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 27, 2023 09:53AM
I understand that you can refuse, but I say why contribute to the problem.

These poor workers are just doing there job.

And theft has gone crazy.

Is this where you're going to draw the line in the sand?

Just let them check receipt and go on your way.

Then go serve at a homeless shelter, or donate time to something worthy.

Your rights aren't being taken away.

I watched one Sovereign Citizen video on YouTube, and now I see there are a full bucket of people that are drinking that Sovereign Citizen stuff.

Come on, Traffic Lights, Speed Limits, School Zones.... Parking Restrictions,,, Licenses, makes us an organized society..
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 27, 2023 10:03AM
I just ignore them and walk on by.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: November 27, 2023 10:20AM
Microman
I understand that you can refuse, but I say why contribute to the problem.

These poor workers are just doing there job.

And theft has gone crazy.

Is this where you're going to draw the line in the sand?

Just let them check receipt and go on your way.

Then go serve at a homeless shelter, or donate time to something worthy.

Your rights aren't being taken away.

I watched one Sovereign Citizen video on YouTube, and now I see there are a full bucket of people that are drinking that Sovereign Citizen stuff.

Come on, Traffic Lights, Speed Limits, School Zones.... Parking Restrictions,,, Licenses, makes us an organized society..

This 1 million percent

I go one step further - at Best Buy for example, I *always* offer my receipt and open my bag to the employee parked by the door who, probably 95% of the time, just say 'you're good' and let me go on my merry way

Pick your battles people

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Date: November 27, 2023 10:38AM
freeradical
I just ignore them and walk on by.

…..Dionne Warwick does this too……

Posted by: d4
Date: November 27, 2023 11:07AM
OMG, just show the damn receipt to the store worker. They are asking everyone. No need for drama and indignation, tough girl/guy online attitude.

Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: November 27, 2023 11:07AM
I refuse to patronize any establishment that wants me to check my bag at the door when I enter.

I don’t like to carry anything in my pockets so I carry a small bag for my wallet, keys, and phone.
If the ladies are allowed to bring in their purse then I can certainly bring mine!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: November 27, 2023 11:37AM
note to self...per members of this forum, it is perfectly reasonable to walk out of a store with a cart full of stolen merchandise
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 27, 2023 11:40AM
I say, “No thanks.”

One time shopping for windshield washer fluid on my way to work at 5:30am I was chased down as I was about to exit a Walmart by an employee who demanded to see my receipt (she was not at the door). There was one cashier who checked out my single case of windshield washer fluid, I bought nothing else and the case was all I had in my cart. I declined but she insisted. I told her that if she thought I had stolen something she should call the cops. I was probably the only customer in the store so it would have been an easy check with the cashier who wasn’t more than 50’ away. As I walked on she said, “Have a nice day.” Otherwise no one has ever said a word.

In other countries I comply.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 27, 2023 11:41AM
doesn't bother me in the least.
I look at it protecting me from the theft of others, with the probable outcome from that theft of rising prices.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 27, 2023 11:58AM
Last time I have dealt with this was at Wal-Mart, later in the day on Black Friday. They had a nice Stanley rolling toolbox for a pretty good price. I grabbed one and after paying I was heading out and saw a line with about 2 dozen people waiting at the door. I walked by and two woman employees about freaked out! One woman grabbed my cart and said I had to wait in line to get my receipt checked. No way I was waiting in line for this! I told her she probably should let go of my cart, and if she thought I was stealing something she was welcomed to take further action. She immediately let go of my cart and I left.

Sorry for the people that don't think it's a big deal to show your receipt. Some of us DO believe our rights are being violated by this behavior. Just because YOU don't have a problem with it doesn't mean others should follow your beliefs.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: gadje
Date: November 27, 2023 12:17PM
SDGuy
note to self...per members of this forum, it is perfectly reasonable to walk out of a store with a cart full of stolen merchandise

Huh?
Date: November 27, 2023 12:22PM
SDGuy

Note to you, that is not what anyone said. A store wants to stop someone they actually observed taking items and not paying for them is fine. But this general assumption that everyone walking out the door is a suspect is just f-ing wrong. Either hire the people and train them properly to do checkouts, or take the consequences they have chosen by their business model. This also applies to stores that arrange things such that their is a disconnect between checkouts and the exit or decide to replace cashiers with self checkouts.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 27, 2023 12:57PM
Checking my pocket Constitution for the relevant passage, but I'm not seeing it.
Posted by: Diana
Date: November 27, 2023 01:09PM
Just a data point.

I was at the self checkout at a Walmart (not somewhere I usually shop) and a lane came open. I walked up, only to find that over $400 had been rung up, but not paid. I stopped, and waited for the next as (mainly) I didn’t have the time nor desire to deal with it. Yes, sometimes things happen and sometimes people make them happen. Sometimes we think we have done something but we didn’t, and sometimes we just don’t do it.

Some stores around here have started pulling the self checkout out and going back to cashiers.

I always stop if there is someone checking the receipts and try to present a pleasant front, even if I’m not happy about it. The person at the door probably didn’t volunteer for this job. I can express my displeasure by ceasing to shop there.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 27, 2023 01:37PM
rz
... Best Buy used to...I started just saying "no thanks" as I walked by the guy. I was never detained when I did that.

I was once, while purchasing some movies during Black Friday some years ago. Door Guy asked to see my receipt as I exited, I said "No, thank you." Next thing I know, Door Guy physically restrained me from exiting the store. Things got hot fast after that.

Manager came over to defuse the situation. I showed him my receipt and I was free to go. I should have a filed a false imprisonment claim against BB, or at least stuck around to make sure Door Guy lost his job. You don't lay your hands on the customers.

It is what it is.
Date: November 27, 2023 01:39PM
C(-)ris
JoeH
rz

Banned from Best Buy? Suits me fine.

It is what it is.
Date: November 27, 2023 01:42PM
SDGuy

If that is truly your takeaway from this discussion, I have serious doubts about your critical thinking abilities.

It is what it is.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 27, 2023 01:42PM
When Walmart started check around here there also seemed to be some racial profiling associated with it, and they always seemed to just wave me through.

But every now and they they have some guy that wants to do a very thorough job and counts the items in the cart and looks at the item count on the receipt and they gets very confused when the counts differ because I purchased sodas and the CA CRV rings up as a separate item on the receipt and add to the total item count.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 27, 2023 01:55PM
rz

I believe that they didn't trust their cashiers to ring up everything.

Other than membership stores, I just walk by. Nothing to hide but...

Edit: I'm not going to stand in another line after waiting to check out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2023 02:06PM by macphanatic.
Posted by: gabester
Date: November 27, 2023 02:08PM
I wonder if anyone who's ever worked in theft prevention at a store could speak to the purpose and effectiveness of this strategy of checking receipts.

I'd wager that the thinking goes, "checking multiple people exiting the store whom we know have not stolen anything puts thieves on alert that they may similarly be checked and therefore are more likely to be caught."

I'd guess that at many such stores casual thieves (think foolish kids / first timers) are deterred upon noticing the exit checks and put back items. A few might brave it and get away with it but be so spooked about getting caught as to not try again.

Of course this strategy will not deter the hardened experienced thieves who will continue with impunity.

g=
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 27, 2023 02:12PM
Acer
On the bright side, it employs some of the people who werereplaced by the self check-out---hmmmmm.....if you need to hire people to protect the self-checkout....*rubs chin*

This makes me nuts. A friend was saying that the self-checkouts don't take away jobs because they have to hire people to guard the self-checkouts from theft. Then just put back the regular checkouts. I am not being paid to work for the store, much less have a guard watching me as if I was a crook. The whole thing sucks.

Date: November 27, 2023 02:15PM
$tevie
A friend was saying that the self-checkouts don't take away jobs because they have to hire people to guard the self-checkouts from theft.

My experience is that one person will be responsible for monitoring up to eight self-checkout stations.

It is what it is.
Date: November 27, 2023 02:16PM
Rick-o
Some of us DO believe our rights are being violated by this behavior. Just because YOU don't have a problem with it doesn't mean others should follow your beliefs.

What right? Where is it written down?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 27, 2023 02:20PM
It's definitely to reduce staffing or to accommodate the lack of people willing to work. One person can oversee multiple self checkouts. Add one or two to watch the door and you're still way ahead.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 27, 2023 02:36PM
gabester
I wonder if anyone who's ever worked in theft prevention at a store could speak to the purpose and effectiveness of this strategy of checking receipts.

I'd wager that the thinking goes, "checking multiple people exiting the store whom we know have not stolen anything puts thieves on alert that they may similarly be checked and therefore are more likely to be caught."

I'd guess that at many such stores casual thieves (think foolish kids / first timers) are deterred upon noticing the exit checks and put back items. A few might brave it and get away with it but be so spooked about getting caught as to not try again.

Of course this strategy will not deter the hardened experienced thieves who will continue with impunity.

Fry's Electronics was one of the first non-membership stores I frequented that checked receipts on exit. The story was that they didn't trust the accuracy of their cashiers, and there was possibly some instances of cashiers working with friends that were customers "forgetting" to ring up some items.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 27, 2023 02:39PM
JoeH
C(-)ris
JoeH
rz

Good luck banning someone you have no idea of who they are as they didn't stop. You are assuming they stopped you, that becomes false detention and then trying to ban you becomes unlawful retaliation. Lawyers here would and did have a great time with that, and Best Buy and other stores with that policy paid out in settlements when employees forced a stop when they did not hav actual evidence of shoplifting.

Unless you paid with cash they know exactly who you are. There are cameras EVERYWHERE and they can match that up with credit card data.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 27, 2023 02:44PM
Diana

Some stores around here have started pulling the self checkout out and going back to cashiers.

They keep adding self checks here.

More cashiers more jobs. No matter how little they pay.

Probably the best job I had before gr'uping.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 27, 2023 02:46PM
At our Walmart, the cashiers all became pickup shoppers. One, who I kinda knew, told me it was the same pay and none of the stress. So in many instances, those jobs were not taken away as they were transitioned to the new shopping model.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 27, 2023 03:40PM
mattkime
Rick-o
Some of us DO believe our rights are being violated by this behavior. Just because YOU don't have a problem with it doesn't mean others should follow your beliefs.

You're correct. It isn't a right. I wrote that hastily while trying to get out the door.

I just believe I should be able to shop at a store without the staff treating me like a criminal. I will not lie down and "take it" like some do.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: November 27, 2023 03:46PM
……these is how minorities get treated when they shop in certain neighborhoods…..

Date: November 27, 2023 04:22PM
Rick-o
I just believe I should be able to shop at a store without the staff treating me like a criminal. I will not lie down and "take it" like some do.

Thats fine, just factor it in before entering the store.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 27, 2023 04:42PM
I love self checkout.
I used to have to man the self checkout, there were four open usually, and work the regular checkout at HD, before I moved to the paint dept.
When I shop I usually just want to scan my items without the interaction with a cashier.
I am just a tad anti-social that way. grinning smiley

I FIRMLY believe there should always be at least one manned checkout though.
My late mother could never have managed a self check by herself and it would have caused her extreme anxiety.

HD had a hard time hiring and keeping cashiers, so that also has added to self-checkout, IMHO.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 27, 2023 06:06PM
I always let the Costco employees check my receipt.

I signed up for it and don't want to be banned.

Best Buy and I think CompUSA did receipt checks and I ignored them with a "no thanks".

Best Buy was especially irritating because as mentioned, one is literally within a few steps from checker to exit.

One time Fry's came wanted to stop me after I passed, and I told them if they think I stole something they better call a cop. LOL

They backed off immediately but I didn't shop there again.

The right of unlawful search and seizure is usually handled at the state level, and while not written, is implied in what is written — probably cause is required to detain someone, in the case a shopper exiting a store where no 'receipt check' policy is in agreement.

Not written as such, it's still very much a written protection against unlawful search, seizure, and false imprisonment.

This is no different than being traffic stopped for no violation and a cop demanding to search your car.

Even if the stop was legal, a red light or other traffic violation, probably cause is still needed to search a vehicle or your property.

So one should know their state law, lest any exceptions surprise one..

Walmart could get in trouble if claims of profiling are founded and victims want to take action.

All that said, an untrained employee mistakenly thinking they have the right to detain an innocent shopper without probable cause, could still ruin one's day.

There is of course recourse for employee's acting outside the law, but do you want to stand outside a store arguing with someone when showing a receipt at that point or upon exiting, would have avoided all of that.

I've got time.

I don't buy the argument of a store checking receipts to verify a checker's accuracy.

That's not my job.

A store that's suspicious of a checker means they're suspicious of them giving a 'discount' to a co-conspirator and that an innocent shopper might not be innocent.

Fishing expeditions are only valid from a pier or boat.

DAs refusing to prosecute shoplifting crimes have escalated large scale shoplifting, especially raising the state minimum (in CA) to >$950.

Even then it's a wobbler — a crime that can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony, at the discretion of the DA.

Most store don't want their employees to be injured in an altercation, and possibly sued for a mistake.

Earlier this year CA Senate passed a bill that was said to outlaw store employees from stopping shoplifters.

I didn't read it at all, but that sounds very click-bait to me.

Last month, that bill or a modified version was made law, and part of that is to prohibit management from requiring employees to intervene.

Thats fine, just factor it in before entering the store.

The store needs to factor that in before illegally stopping someone leaving their store.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 27, 2023 07:34PM
Sam's Club only checks 3 items regardless of whether you 3 items or a 100.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 314
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020