advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TV buying advice
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 28, 2023 09:04PM
I'd like to buy a new tv for mom and step-dad but need a little advice. I should have bought the LG OLED55B3PUA which was selling for $996 this last weekend at best buy. Unfortunately it sold out and the cheapest I can find it now is $1200 at abt.com which I am unfamiliar with.

So I have a few choices.
1) Wait and see if the OLED55C3PUA comes back to Amazon or Bestbuy at a good price
2) Buy it at abt.com and call it a learning lesson
3) Drop down to the 55QNED85UQA at $996 (various sellers)

Opinions? I'm stuck on the LG brand and the 55" size but flexible within the various versions.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TV buying advice
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 28, 2023 09:25PM
OK, i will bite.

Is there some reason they need an OLED 65" TV? Woudlnt a $400 65" TCL work fine? I mean its your $$, but...

abt has been around for years, FWIW.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2023 09:25PM by jdc.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 28, 2023 09:31PM
I’m stuck on LG and the 55” size but flexible between models. OLED would be nice but maybe I missed the good pricing. Rub your crystal ball and make a prediction.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 28, 2023 09:41PM
I predict they wont be able to tell the diff between a $400 and $1200 TV.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 28, 2023 10:49PM
davemchine
I’m stuck on LG and the 55” size but flexible between models. OLED would be nice but maybe I missed the good pricing. Rub your crystal ball and make a prediction.

You won't see that price again until early next year, when the one-two combo of the Super Bowl and the new model year announcement will drive prices down.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2023 04:13AM
jdc

True.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: gadje
Date: November 29, 2023 05:59AM
jdc

You never know. Some LCDs are pretty bad.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 29, 2023 07:29AM
Speedy
jdc

True.

They may not care, but I think they could definitely see the difference.
Now, since they won’t see them side by side, they would probably be happy with the regular LCD, but I could tell a big difference when I got my new LG OLED a few weeks ago.
Are you upgrading them to a bigger size or for a better picture?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 29, 2023 09:09AM
One thing to consider with the TCL is the remote. If they have cable TV and are use to going directly from one channel to another (say channel 13 to channel 143), it does not allow that. There are no number inputs, only up/down arrows. So you have to step through every channel to get where you want to go. That can be bypassed if they have a cable box and cable remote, but if it is a direct feed, no.

TCL's do have excellent pictures though.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 29, 2023 09:24AM
I bought my 70" Samsung, just before they included Airdrop, or whatever it is called. Would be convenient for me to bring up something on my phone and send it to the tV
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 29, 2023 10:38AM
If they have cable TV and are use to going directly from one channel to another (say channel 13 to channel 143), it does not allow that. There are no number inputs, only up/down arrows. So you have to step through every channel to get where you want to go.

That's one of the biggest frustrations I've found with Roku and its remote, after cutting the cord (FiOS). Still getting used to that.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 29, 2023 11:28AM
wurm
If they have cable TV and are use to going directly from one channel to another (say channel 13 to channel 143), it does not allow that. There are no number inputs, only up/down arrows. So you have to step through every channel to get where you want to go.

That's one of the biggest frustrations I've found with Roku and its remote, after cutting the cord (FiOS). Still getting used to that.

Yea, you'd think given the number of streaming "cable operators" now and the hundred+ channel listings, we'd be making more remotes with numeric keypads, not less!
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: November 29, 2023 12:03PM
That’s nasty, I was not aware, and I’ve kept that brand in the back of my mind for bang for the buck.
Does anybody know what happens if used with a universal remote?
Posted by: Spiff
Date: November 29, 2023 12:04PM
Another thing to consider, which I have found very helpful, is that OLED has a significantly wider viewing angle than typical LCD screens. That has come in real handy with my LG OLED TV. YMMV
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 29, 2023 12:47PM
If your parents have a habit of spending lots of time on the same channel(s), the OLED might not be your best option. The burn in on those - despite what they will tell you - is still a problem. Most viewers will flip around enough that it's not ever going to be an issue, but for older folks who tend to, say, keep their TV tuned to a news channel for hours at a time during the day, or even watch the same channel every night for entertainment, some of the more intrusive chyrons will make a mess of that screen in a year's time.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 29, 2023 12:54PM
So you have to step through every channel to get where you want to go.

There's no Favorites button?

That would be a huge issue, then.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 29, 2023 12:56PM
My dad would have turned any new TV to garbage because he thought he was being shortchanged somehow by letter-boxing, and would fsck with the settings until the screen was filled, gosh darn it. No amount of explaining that different aspect ratios exist for films and TV and that the letter box format shows you the entire image as it was shot, rather than lopping off chunks of it to make it fit your TV, cured him of this

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 29, 2023 02:07PM
bfd
If your parents have a habit of spending lots of time on the same channel(s), the OLED might not be your best option. The burn in on those - despite what they will tell you - is still a problem. Most viewers will flip around enough that it's not ever going to be an issue, but for older folks who tend to, say, keep their TV tuned to a news channel for hours at a time during the day, or even watch the same channel every night for entertainment, some of the more intrusive chyrons will make a mess of that screen in a year's time.

Good advice. Resistance to burn-in on recent LG panels (post-2020 or so) has been greatly improved but not completely eliminated.

Another variable to consider is whether the TV screen will be subjected to direct sunlight. OLED panels are damaged by long-term exposure to direct sunlight, whereas LED panels are completely unaffected.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 29, 2023 02:38PM
jdc

I can see the difference between the LED and OLED LG tv's when I look back and forth. And I'd bet most of us can. But, when I just walk up and look at the $400 LG LED it looks great. So we just bought a couple from Costco recently. No regrets.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 29, 2023 06:50PM
The TCL/Roku remote, the fast select buttons are set and cannot be reprogrammed. Volume controls are on the side. A universal remote with numbers doesn't work.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 29, 2023 06:52PM
Ombligo
The TCL/Roku remote, the fast select buttons are set and cannot be reprogrammed. Volume controls are on the side. A universal remote with numbers doesn't work.

I was at my sister in laws, and there was an Roku tv in my room. I had the hardest time figuring out where the hell the volume buttons were.
I hate side buttons.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: November 29, 2023 06:57PM
Wow!
I can’t believe the amount of trashing the AppleTV remote gets after seeing this one.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 30, 2023 03:07PM
Forget it Jake, it's Apple.

I could see some basis for annoyance, but the trashing was just First World Whining to me.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020