advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
For new parents out there...
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 29, 2023 12:21PM
My yahoo and gmail addresses are so old, they are my actual name!

So on the advice of Leo Laporte, when my youngest was born, I setup a gmail for her and her older brother with something close to thier actual names, no numbers, state, etc.

He started using it when he got to college.

When she turned 16, I told my youngest about it. She thought it was boring, since she had her cool anime based email addresses... but she added it on to her iPhone mail and changed the PW (Keychain generated).

She started using it for college applications, and this month she thanked me for it.

I told her about my old aol user names (OomShdubi,* Inkarri). She laughed.

*Not sure about the spelling on this one. Based on the refrain from the Stones song, "Shattered"

So tell the parents of young ones...set one up!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: For new parents out there...
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 29, 2023 12:45PM
We got normal people Gmail addys for the kids early on which they've been using throughout. If they want LazerShark420@gmail.com they're welcome to it but the older one now doing college applications has a respectable, useful address which is helpful.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 29, 2023 12:59PM
Rolando,

I've already done two things for Little M. I have a gmail account in place for her that is very close to her real name. She'll likely never use it except for its Google Voice number and/or other services. Once she has a cell phone, she'll give out the Google Voice number instead of the actual cell number.

I have several choice domains registered for her, just like I've done for myself. The domains are one for professional purposes, a personal fun domain and one or two others for online stores and miscellaneous tasks. They'll be configured for use with a reputable email provider, i.e. Fastmail. All email sent to the domains will get funneled into the email account.

The actual gmail address and/or the email address from the email provider will never be given out to anyone. They are repositories for email sent to her via an email address affiliated with the domains.

Robert
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 29, 2023 01:01PM
Back in the day, I registered [mylastname].net domain, and set up addresses. I thought it was kinda cool, and I still use one, but in the end the kids preferred gmail versions.
Date: November 29, 2023 01:08PM
Lew,

Eactly! By the time Little M is aware of email, email addresses and how it all works, she'll be so used to using her own domains and such that it won't occur to her to use the gmail address. It's all about training her well from the start.

And, a respectful professional email address will be critical. College applications. Drivers license. Anything where a respectful address is appropriate and preferred. She can use a nonsense email address with her friends.

Robert
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 29, 2023 01:13PM
listen to old people talk about email!

get your kid a sweet tictok handle

Posted by: gadje
Date: November 29, 2023 01:16PM
Watch out, google started deleting account that are inactive.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 29, 2023 03:28PM
mattkime
listen to old people talk about email!

get your kid a sweet tictok handle

it's aaaaactually TikTok

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 29, 2023 03:40PM
Same here. we have firstandfirst@ mac.com and wife has firstlast@ me.com

Kids names were too common, alhoguth think they both have something close.

oldest has started using her college email... cause its a flex. @calpoly.edu

but it expires 6 month after graduation.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: gabester
Date: November 29, 2023 04:03PM
Just beware that if you are "reserving" a Google account for use down the road, that Google is about to start periodically culling inactive accounts so you'll need to plan to occasionally sign in to those accounts or they will be gone (or possibly just recreated by someone else and you won't be able to use them.)

[www.theverge.com]

g=
Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 29, 2023 05:42PM
While it sounds like a good idea to use your actual name as your email in college applications, during the process, that address will receive hundreds if not thousands of solicitations from colleges all over the place. As I recall, the solicitations went away pretty soon after my kids enrolled, but I'd recommend setting up something like firstlast2024@provider.com for this purpose instead. Save firstlast@provider.com for your resume and job applications.

Like jdc, I have firstandfirst@gmail.com, but I've never used it for much since we don't really share email communications. I keep it active though just in case.
Posted by: d4
Date: November 29, 2023 05:46PM
Related Topic thread from 9 years ago about reserving vanity emails for kids:
[forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 29, 2023 07:04PM
if anything, I would guess that being more anonymous the better. the colleges will have your email in either case, and it's not something that they will pay much attention to at all, unless it is purposefully offensive in some way. kids get SO much mail when they apply to schools that it's obscene, and I'm talking about the physical variety. just goes to show you how many millions are spent on marketing at many schools.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2023 07:58PM
Colleges will give them a college email - .edu

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 30, 2023 07:14AM
Speedy,

That's useful while in college for campus related tasks but the recommendations here are for other purposes. FWIW, I have a couple of college email addresses and they're only used for alumni purposes. I've never used them for any other tasks and even the usage for alumni purposes are rare.

Robert
Posted by: rz
Date: November 30, 2023 09:25AM
We have a unique enough last name that we can setup something for our 15 year old without worrying if it's taken. My wife did set up a gmail account for him years ago, but forgot the password. We'll just use a different variation if we need to.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 01, 2023 08:28AM
Robert M
Speedy,

That's useful while in college for campus related tasks but the recommendations here are for other purposes. FWIW, I have a couple of college email addresses and they're only used for alumni purposes. I've never used them for any other tasks and even the usage for alumni purposes are rare.

Robert

They can be good for small discounts on electronics and time-limited discounts for things like Amazon Prime.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 01, 2023 12:27PM
Speedy,

In the past, definitely. These days? Not really. I've tried it many a time and the discounts weren't enough to make it worthwhile to use a college email address. In many cases, you have to go through hoops and being alumni wasn't sufficient. You had to be an actively enrolled student to get the benefits.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 353
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020