advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
sort of missing the days when sales people tried to, you know, sell
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 01, 2023 05:45PM
I'm looking at used cars, on the cheap side to be sure, but no one seems interested in selling. come on, let's haggle! but, no, I guess. and, no, these cars are not jumping off the lots; at least, what I am looking at buying.

Hurts like a bastid...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: sort of missing the days when sales people tried to, you know, sell
Posted by: hal
Date: December 01, 2023 06:05PM
once I realized how tight the used market was, I refused any offers on my recent sale. I just looked at KBB and chose a highish number. I WAS originally open to the idea of offers, but it quickly became apparent that I underestimated the market. Sold my car at the ask in just a few days. I should have known since I was in the market buying... but I'm glad that it got completed fast and my car is now in the hands of a young woman who really deserved a deal.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 01, 2023 06:09PM
Not sure if I realized the used market was still tight. Is it high new car prices?
Posted by: hal
Date: December 01, 2023 06:19PM
I wanted to go shopping for 'certified used' since that worked out so well for me last time, but there is no stock at all in northern california. There is a great lack of quality used cars. Sounds like mrbigstuff is NOT in this market, but it's all related.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 01, 2023 07:23PM
It depends on the kind of car and where you live.

I can't find it in a search but a local consumer new segment recently said anything in stock at the moment has lost at least 2% from late 2021 prices. Subcompacts have lost 10%.

The real deals are car auctions, but that's a crap shoot for reliability. You have to know a brand/model inside and out, and be able to repair most typical issues yourself.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 01, 2023 08:57PM
Having worked in dealerships when I was younger I am the LAST person a sales guy wants to talk to.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 01, 2023 08:59PM
Some sellers will haggle, some won't. Often depends upon the market as well.

Sounds like they're not in a hurry to move inventory.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 01, 2023 09:56PM
Note all the cars on the lot and the prices. Go back in three months and see if the one you wanted is still there. The (relativity) high prime rate might motivate them a little.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: d4
Date: December 03, 2023 07:20AM
When shopping for a car (used or new), go in prepared to purchase it, but at at time when you DO NOT absolutely need it. Walk out of the dealership with no regrets, run some errands, go home. Repeat in 2 weeks, or however often you run errands.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 03, 2023 02:29PM
d4
When shopping for a car (used or new), go in prepared to purchase it, but at at time when you DO NOT absolutely need it. Walk out of the dealership with no regrets, run some errands, go home. Repeat in 2 weeks, or however often you run errands.

This is a good method. Unfortunately in this case, the car is some distance away, so just to negotiate is a phone or email process. In person is absolutely the best.

Hurts like a bastid...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020