advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have their head wrapped around water softeners?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 01, 2023 08:24PM
I think I'm due to replace my water softener. A city newsletter encouraged replacing older water softeners as a way to put less salt into our lakes. While thats a nice benefit, it would be nice not to haul as much salt into my basement. I think we use about a 50 lbs bag a month for a family of four.

Replacing the unit looks simple enough but I'd like to make sure I'm getting something that works correctly. I have the strips to test the water and our softened water seems to be fine whereas untreated water is quite hard. I'm not sure if there's more to be aware of than that. Looks like it would cost about $600 or so for just the unit although some people fall into the trap of paying 2-3x that.

As side distractions there are whole house filters and drinking water filters than can be added. I'm unsure of the value of these. We're on city water which is reasonably good.

Anyone knowledgeable about the topic? It doesn't seem difficult but the info seems sparse.

--

Its over 15 years old, has a motorized (rather than digital) control, and doesn't allow variation based on day. I'm not sure if these are reasons to replace it but it was stated this probably means its not as efficient as it could be.

This is my starting point for a replacement - [www.homedepot.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2023 09:24PM by mattkime.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have their head wrapped around water softeners?
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 01, 2023 09:00PM
I have one.

I was, once, of the opinion that hey were a ripoff and a waste.

So, now, about 7 years later, just about everything that was ruined in the no softener period has been replaced.
Re: Anyone have their head wrapped around water softeners?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 02, 2023 08:36AM
mattkime
I think I'm due to replace my water softener. A city newsletter encouraged replacing older water softeners as a way to put less salt into our lakes. While thats a nice benefit, it would be nice not to haul as much salt into my basement. I think we use about a 50 lbs bag a month for a family of four.

Replacing the unit looks simple enough but I'd like to make sure I'm getting something that works correctly. I have the strips to test the water and our softened water seems to be fine whereas untreated water is quite hard. I'm not sure if there's more to be aware of than that. Looks like it would cost about $600 or so for just the unit although some people fall into the trap of paying 2-3x that.

As side distractions there are whole house filters and drinking water filters than can be added. I'm unsure of the value of these. We're on city water which is reasonably good.

Anyone knowledgeable about the topic? It doesn't seem difficult but the info seems sparse.

--

Its over 15 years old, has a motorized (rather than digital) control, and doesn't allow variation based on day. I'm not sure if these are reasons to replace it but it was stated this probably means its not as efficient as it could be.

This is my starting point for a replacement - [www.homedepot.com]

Have you tested your water quality? It might meet Federal requirements, but a whole house filter might improve the taste and remove sediment. I wish my rancher had space for a water softener. Public water here is hard a concrete. CLR has been my friend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020