advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
pet peeve - websites (always government ones) that have DAILY scheduled downtime
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 02, 2023 11:58PM
WTF

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: pet peeve - websites (always government ones) that have DAILY scheduled downtime
Posted by: MikeF
Date: December 03, 2023 12:35AM
Yeah, that bugs me as well. The only thing I can think of is that if there is no support staff to answer questions/problems they just keep the site offline.
Re: pet peeve - websites (always government ones) that have DAILY scheduled downtime
Date: December 03, 2023 12:37AM
MikeF
Yeah, that bugs me as well. The only thing I can think of is that if there is no support staff to answer questions/problems they just keep the site offline.

Exactly. Just unplug it!
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: December 03, 2023 01:05AM
As someone who works with government IT security teams occasionally, I can tell you that pretty much whenever there's a security patch they are obligated to install it ASAP.

They take their jobs seriously (in that respect).

And you're lucky to have them.

...The late-night scheduled downtime at least makes it predictable for site-visitors. It's a PITA for the server teams to do this stuff after-hours.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 03, 2023 03:23AM
It is annoying but, as Tiangou says, it is necessary. I had thought it was to lessen the chance for bad actors to infiltrate the sites while no one was monitoring.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 03, 2023 09:09AM
Why is it necessary for government sites but not commercial ones?

Date: December 03, 2023 11:10AM
mattkime
Why is it necessary for government sites but not commercial ones?

To start with...

[en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.cisa.gov]

Posted by: Acer
Date: December 03, 2023 12:15PM
The website for my brick and mortar bank is offline pretty much every day at midnight. There can't be that many patches.
Date: December 03, 2023 05:45PM
Tiangou
To start with...

[en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.cisa.gov]

Thats one way to kill a conversation

Date: December 03, 2023 06:01PM
mattkime
Tiangou
To start with...

[en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.cisa.gov]

Thats one way to kill a conversation

First rule for getting lucky with the ladies: Don't talk about NIST and FISMA.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 05, 2023 11:34AM
Matt,

I don't see the issue. If the downtime is regularly scheduled and you're aware of the when the site will be down, it shouldn't be an issue. Just avoid going to the site during the downtime. That's what I do.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020