Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dramatic video of home explosion in Arlington, VA
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 04, 2023 10:10PM
[www.nbcwashington.com]

A home exploded in Arlington, Virginia, on Monday night and rocked a neighborhood with a powerful blast after police responded to a report of someone firing a flare gun, authorities said. Work to extinguish the house fire is ongoing.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dramatic video of home explosion in Arlington, VA
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 04, 2023 10:17PM
I wouldn't think a flare gun alone could do that, but a house that's first filled with natural gas, and then a flare gun is fired seems like a strong possibility.
Date: December 04, 2023 10:19PM
GGD
I wouldn't think a flare gun alone could do that, but a house that's first filled with natural gas, and then a flare gun is fired seems like a strong possibility.

That's why I was thinking.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 04, 2023 10:22PM
had to be
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 04, 2023 10:36PM
WHAT KIND OF ANIMAL DOES THAT?!?!?

I am referring to, of course, recoding video in Portrait mode!

Apple should default to square recording (3024x3024) and let the user crop down as needed.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 04, 2023 10:37PM
...But some stupid with a flare gun
Burned the place to the ground

Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky
Smoke on the water...

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: December 04, 2023 10:42PM
pRICE cUBE
GGD

That's why I was thinking.

The explosion seems to come from the far left side of the house.

My guess is that the flare hit the gas regulator on the side of the house.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 05, 2023 01:44AM
Police received reports of a man firing a flare gun from a home on the 800 block of North Burlington Street at around 4:45 p.m.

Hours later, at around 8:30 p.m., officers were trying to execute a search warrant when the suspect allegedly fired multiple rounds, according to authorities. Then the home exploded.

Assuming it was the result of a gas explosion, a flare might not have been the ignition source.

Discharging a firearm, especially a revolver, could have ignited a gas-filled room, even if not in the room proper.

It's not the same as dropping a match in a container of gasoline.

The suspect, whose name was not immediately released, has not been located.

Maybe he escaped, maybe he didn't.

I wouldn't mind more info.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2023 01:52AM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 05, 2023 07:11AM
RAMd®d
Discharging a firearm, especially a revolver, could have ignited a gas-filled room, even if not in the room proper.
A metal slug hitting anything metallic would cause a spark...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 05, 2023 07:46AM
Idiots and fire.

I have a coworker whose house was damaged when a house three doors down exploded. Thieves had broken in and stolen the copper water pipes, and had damaged the gas line, which filled the house up with gas and an eventual spark lit the fuse.

Fuel Air Explosion….
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 05, 2023 10:06AM
cbelt3
Idiots and fire.

I have a coworker whose house was damaged when a house three doors down exploded. Thieves had broken in and stolen the copper water pipes, and had damaged the gas line, which filled the house up with gas and an eventual spark lit the fuse.

Fuel Air Explosion….

Yep, here locally what somebody thought was an unused gas line inside the home was disconnected during renovations.

With the above result later.
Posted by: gabester
Date: December 05, 2023 10:11AM
Rolando

Apple should default to square recording (3024x3024) and let the user crop down as needed.

Agreed... and I am super curious about the vantage point of the video which seems to be 20-50 feet above the utility poles. I've pulled the block up on Google Maps,

If I had to guess this is the ground vantage point equivalent: [maps.app.goo.gl]

Interesting neighborhood. Boarded up house on the corner with a classic car parked out back.

Here's an interview of the guy who took the video, wherein he says the detonator's name is James Hugh (my guess as spelling) at about 2:45: [www.fox5dc.com]

Apparently the exploded house was a duplex. So one man's idiocy results in another family's loss of their worldly possessions.

(Warning, link is to a Fox channel station, so it is for entertainment, not news, purposes.)

g=

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2023 10:18AM by gabester.
Posted by: rz
Date: December 05, 2023 12:17PM
gabester
(Warning, link is to a Fox channel station, so it is for entertainment, not news, purposes.)

Local Fox news != Fox News

I used to watch a show on Fox that was followed by the local news, so I'd end up watching it sometimes. I would definitely say that the local Fox news was absolutely NOTHING like Fox News. One time they did a story on a local pride march and had very positive coverage of it. I've never seen or heard anything remotely biased on their part. YMMV of course.
Date: December 05, 2023 02:56PM
[www.nbcwashington.com]

A possibility, but if it wasn't a flare intentionally or accidentally detonated inside the residence, my money is on muzzle flash.

TL:RL

Officers tried to execute a search warrant shortly before 8:30 p.m.

Then, the home exploded.

I'd prefer Apple default to landscape no matter how the phone is held, then recode as desired, later.

It's obvious a huge segment of users record in portrait because it's easily done one-handed.

Anybody who's not something of a videographer or photo-journalist would likely commit to the easiest method in a stressful situation.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: December 05, 2023 03:03PM
The articles are poorly written, almost in a stream of consciousness style.

I'd guess also without benefit of a copy editor, or at least a competent one.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: December 05, 2023 05:31PM
“We believe the resident of the home, James Yoo, 56, of Arlington, is the involved suspect,” Arlington County Police Chief Andy Penn said in the December 5 news conference.

[heavy.com]

Penn said police believe human remains found in the home are Yoo’s, but medical examiner officials are still confirming the identity. “We are aware of concerning social media posts allegedly made by the suspect,” said Penn, who added that the suspect was in the residence at the time of the explosion and is “presumed to be deceased.”

According to Penn, police responded to the home around 4:45 p.m. December 4 after a report of a “possible shots fired incident.” He said police believe Yoo “discharged a flare type gun from the residence more than 30 times.” Authorities said the fire department turned off the gas to the home before the explosion occurred and said the cause and origin of the blast is still under investigation.

Posted by: Smote
Date: December 06, 2023 03:37PM
Rolando
RAMd®d

doesn't happen that way in real life. Bullets, which are lead, copper or brass, won't spark. They use pyrotechnics on TV and in film so you can see the "bullets" striking concrete or vehicles. I love it when fiberglass boats spark. Steel core penetrators are enveloped in lead and a brass jacket. No sparks there either.

"Defending your own life when in immediate danger to me is a basic right of each person. " Lemon Drop 11/17/2023 03:10 pm

Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) Private citizens have the right under the Second Amendment to possess an ordinary type of weapon and use it for lawful, historically established situations such as self-defense in a home, even when there is no relationship to a local militia.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner." Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1982. Digitized September 30, 2008.

From the NYSRPA v Bruen "Today, we decline to adopt that two-part approach. . . . Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many. Step one of the predominant framework is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment's text, as informed by history."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020