advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any problems upgrading an M1 Mini From Monterey to Ventura or Sonoma
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 04, 2023 10:42PM
So this is an M1 Mini (16GB RAM, 2TBSSD) and there's some software I want to use that requires at least Ventura. But...I remember much gnashing of teeth about the user interface in Ventura, and I haven't heard anything amazingly good or bad about Sonoma.

So what says the collected MRF wisdom? Any reason not to upgrade? Anybody upgrade and regret it?

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any problems upgrading an M1 Mini From Monterey to Ventura or Sonoma
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: December 04, 2023 10:45PM
Ventura is still buggy. I get weird glitches and hangs in the Finder every once in awhile and apps that won't relaunch shortly after quitting because the OS still thinks they're open. Network operations from the Finder are strangely laggy sometimes, too.

Sonoma is basically ugly lipstick on Ventura.

That said, they're small annoyances.

Posted by: jonny
Date: December 04, 2023 10:53PM
Nope.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 04, 2023 10:58PM
I am on an M1 Mini running Ventura and didn't have issues coning from Monterey. No major issues from what I recall.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 04, 2023 11:15PM
So it's okay to take my 13" Touch Bar M1 MacBook Pro to Ventura but wait longer on Sonoma?

Grateful11
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 05, 2023 12:42AM
I would be on Sonoma right now but I am working on a big project that has been months in the working. I'd rather not tempt fate.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: TheTominator
Date: December 05, 2023 05:51AM
Two days ago I made the jump from Mac OS 11 to Mac OS X 14 on my 8MB M1 Mini.

I haven't had any issues yet, but I haven't finished testing all of the software.
It does appear to be better at handling memory.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 05, 2023 09:11AM
Some software at work does not work on Sonoma, so waiting.

Ventura was not a major difference over Monterey on any of my Macs.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 05, 2023 10:15AM
anonymouse1
So this is an M1 Mini (16GB RAM, 2TBSSD) and there's some software I want to use that requires at least Ventura. But...I remember much gnashing of teeth about the user interface in Ventura, and I haven't heard anything amazingly good or bad about Sonoma.

So what says the collected MRF wisdom? Any reason not to upgrade? Anybody upgrade and regret it?

Thanks!

anonymous,

I got my M1 mini shortly after they were introduced. I can't remember what OS came with it, but I have been updating regularly as soon as the new OS is introduced. I have had a few of the problems commonly found and have survived with very little effort. I have had a number of nuisance/PITA problems that I found were due to the installation of the updates. A couple of settings get changed with each update, and are never the same settings. Sometimes Mail or Messages or Safari won't get properly installed, and has some glitches.

The fixes: 1) Log out then log in your account. 2). Restart the Mac. 3) Run disk Utility First Aid on ALL internal volumes. If none of these work, I have reinstalled the OS (did not erase first). I have rarely had to reinstall the OS.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 05, 2023 05:37PM
Thanks, all. I upgraded to Ventura-I found lots of reports on bugs in Sonoma, so I'm going to give it another 3 months or so of updates.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 347
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020