advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If I were going to buy an EV, which one?
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 05, 2023 04:48PM
Here is how I drive.
Mostly around town. Most trips are under 20 miles, but might go up as much as 40-50.
Occasionally , I would need to go on a 200-250 mile RT drive.
Would be great to get the $7500 rebate next year, but not a deal breaker if not.
I don’t want a large car. I prefer a hatchback with 4 doors or a compact SUV.

I would like to spend less than $50K

I drive a Kia Soul now and had a Scion Xb and a Miata before that.
I do need to seat four, for when family and friends are with me.

I would like it if it was compatible with the Tesla chargers, if that’s possible.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If I were going to buy an EV, which one?
Posted by: hal
Date: December 05, 2023 04:50PM
I test drove a kia niro hybrid, but it comes in EV too. Pretty spiffy little car.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 05, 2023 04:54PM
Dont think any 3rd party maker is Tesla charger ready yet.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: fromish
Date: December 05, 2023 05:05PM
Take a look at the little Volvo EX30. Comes out 2024, costs $37 before options but including shipping. No rebate but it's a fast, comfortable, useful car.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 05, 2023 05:41PM
Model Y rear wheel drive would be under $50k total.
Date: December 05, 2023 05:52PM
jdc

Can you use an adapter or something?

Date: December 05, 2023 05:53PM
hal
I test drove a kia niro hybrid, but it comes in EV too. Pretty spiffy little car.

I was looking at the Kia website. I’ll have to look more closely at the Niro

Date: December 05, 2023 05:55PM
fromish
Take a look at the little Volvo EX30. Comes out 2024, costs $37 before options but including shipping. No rebate but it's a fast, comfortable, useful car.

I’ve never driven a Volvo. I’ll look at it.

I need to see which body style that is. I’ll give it a look.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 05, 2023 05:57PM
Currently looking into the Chevy Blazer EV but for the vast distances in Utah, I am open to looking at PHEV. Utah is also a cold weather state so I a factoring that in as well. Base EV Blazer is $57k though.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 05, 2023 05:59PM
rgG
jdc

The automakers that have announced Tesla compatibility will have adapters as a stop gap measure although they may have varying dates of availability.
Date: December 05, 2023 06:05PM
Gareth
rgG
jdc

The automakers that have announced Tesla compatibility will have adapters as a stop gap measure although they may have varying dates of availability.

Ah. I thought there was something like that.
Thanks.

Date: December 05, 2023 06:07PM
fromish

I like the looks of that little Volvo.
I wish it was currently available so I could actually see/drive one, but no till summer, it seems.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 05, 2023 06:08PM
For your kind of driving I wouldn’t worry about a charger, just plug it in every night when you get home.
Date: December 05, 2023 06:12PM
rgG

I think the Model Y might be a little too big for your tastes.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 05, 2023 06:13PM
rgG
Gareth
rgG
jdc

Thanks.

There are plenty of other chargers out there. EvGo network is pretty robust.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 05, 2023 06:18PM
Carnos Jax
rgG

Model Y is pretty much the definition of a compact SUV.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 05, 2023 06:22PM
Carnos Jax
rgG

Yeah, it’s not the best shape for me. I like a bit boxier, if that makes sense.
I am not a fan of extremely raked rear glass.

Date: December 05, 2023 06:22PM
jdc
Carnos Jax
rgG

Model Y is pretty much the definition of a compact SUV.

I believe it’s significantly bigger than the cars she mentions. It’s more of a midsize SUV. Bigger than our GLK 350, maybe the same size as our RX 350 (we’ve had them side-by-side).
Date: December 05, 2023 06:23PM
Carnos Jax
For your kind of driving I wouldn’t worry about a charger, just plug it in every night when you get home.

Yeah, fair point.

Date: December 05, 2023 06:24PM
vision63
rgG
Gareth
rgG
jdc

Thanks.

There are plenty of other chargers out there. EvGo network is pretty robust.

I think she’ll be frustrated by the reliability of third party chargers, if she has to use them frequently enough. Hopefully that gets better going forward. And if her needs for away from home charging is rare, then it’s probably no big deal.
Posted by: jardster
Date: December 05, 2023 06:27PM
I've had my Tesla Model 3 for 5 years, and it's been great. Best car I've owned. I now drive the BMW i4, and while the inside is more luxurious than the Tesla, the it doesn't get as good of milage and charging out in the real world is more difficult (although I charge 100% at home).

Date: December 05, 2023 06:52PM
rgG
Carnos Jax
rgG

Yeah, it’s not the best shape for me. I like a bit boxier, if that makes sense.
I am not a fan of extremely raked rear glass.

Go visit and sit in the back seat of a Model Y. The roof glass and view is impressive.

The second row seats are quite comfortable IMHO.
Date: December 05, 2023 06:53PM
jardster
I've had my Tesla Model 3 for 5 years, and it's been great. Best car I've owned. I now drive the BMW i4, and while the inside is more luxurious than the Tesla, the it doesn't get as good of milage and charging out in the real world is more difficult (although I charge 100% at home).

I just cannot recommend a non-Tesla Supercharger compatible EV to a first-time EV owner.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: December 05, 2023 06:57PM
Hyundai Ionic 5 sounds like it might fit the bill for you Rhonda.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 05, 2023 07:12PM
I own a Volt, love it.
What I REALLY want is an Ioniq 5. Love everything about the car, but don't want
to pay for it, LOL. Can't have everything tho.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: December 05, 2023 07:16PM
DinerDave
I own a Volt, love it.
What I REALLY want is an Ioniq 5. Love everything about the car, but don't want
to pay for it, LOL. Can't have everything tho.

Dave

Loved owning a Volt, son has it now - serving him well.

I think the Ioniq 5 looks great, just need to wait until the end of 2024 for the NACS/Tesla charger compatibility.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 05, 2023 07:25PM
IMO you should try to drive a good number of them. Sometimes research doesn't compare to seeing the real thing in person.

Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 05, 2023 07:28PM
I would worry about Kia and Huyundai unless the new models have solved the "steal this one" that we are hearing about here in western WA. Almost all the smash and grab crimes involve one of these cars because they are so easy to steal.
Date: December 05, 2023 07:28PM
mattkime
IMO you should try to drive a good number of them. Sometimes research doesn't compare to seeing the real thing in person.

Yep. I will definitely do that.
Just trying to get a short list together.
I need to see how big that Ioniq 5 feels. It is bigger than what I have now, just not sure how much bigger.
I wish the Volvo was available, but who knows how long my search will take.

Posted by: bfd
Date: December 05, 2023 07:29PM
If you are not dead set against it, the new Prius Prime is a really nice car. Hard to believe, but true. And you would likely be mostly on EV given your driving description. The PHEV is so well refined by now, that it is hard to beat. However, there are valid arguments around hauling the battery/motors along with the weight of the ICE. Who needs both? Still, if your driving is mostly what you've described, the Prius is non-pricy option and you would still get a $4500 rebate/credit for the PHEV.

Regardless of what you decide on, you will likely want to install some infrastructure changes at home such as, a 240v/40A line to support Level 2 charging, and that will add on some cost. Charging with 120V/15A would take all night, but it could be ok for awhile.

Charging at "away" stations isn't a great strategy unless you're long-distance driving. That's where current infrastructure besides Tesla is lacking for many areas - and often undependable in areas away from home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2023 07:30PM by bfd.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 05, 2023 07:37PM
vicrock
I would worry about Kia and Huyundai unless the new models have solved the "steal this one" that we are hearing about here in western WA.

While there are a lot of models affected, it's the simple key start models that are affected. Models with push-to-start buttons are not affected. I don't believe there are any Kia/Hyundai EV's that are affected.

Car and Driver
Around 9 million Kia and Hyundai vehicles were potentially affected by the Kia Challenge. The list of affected vehicles is below, with the easy-to-steal versions mostly the entry-level trims that did not have push-button ignitions. There are websites for Kia owners and Hyundai owners to get more information about their specific vehicle.

Hyundai Models
2011–2022 Accent
2011–2022 Elantra
2013–2017 Elantra GT
2013–2014 Elantra Coupe
2011–2012 Elantra Touring
2011–2014 Genesis Coupe
2018–2022 Kona
2020–2021 Palisade
2011–2012, 2019–2022 Santa Fe
2013–2018, 2019 Santa Fe, Santa Fe XL
2013–2018 Santa Fe Sport
2011–2019 Sonata
2011–2022 Tucson
2012–2017, 2019–2021 Veloster
2020–2021 Venue
2011–2012 Veracruz

Kia Models
2011–2021 Forte
2021–2022 K5
2011–2020 Optima
2011–2021 Rio
2011–2021 Sedona
2021–2022 Seltos
2010–2022 Soul
2011–2022 Sorento
2011–2022 Sportage
[www.caranddriver.com]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 05, 2023 08:42PM
rented a '22 Polestar 2 last year.
It was very nice and behaved well.
Lotta bread though.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Date: December 05, 2023 08:48PM
bfd
If you are not dead set against it, the new Prius Prime is a really nice car. Hard to believe, but true. And you would likely be mostly on EV given your driving description. The PHEV is so well refined by now, that it is hard to beat. However, there are valid arguments around hauling the battery/motors along with the weight of the ICE. Who needs both? Still, if your driving is mostly what you've described, the Prius is non-pricy option and you would still get a $4500 rebate/credit for the PHEV.

Regardless of what you decide on, you will likely want to install some infrastructure changes at home such as, a 240v/40A line to support Level 2 charging, and that will add on some cost. Charging with 120V/15A would take all night, but it could be ok for awhile.

Charging at "away" stations isn't a great strategy unless you're long-distance driving. That's where current infrastructure besides Tesla is lacking for many areas - and often undependable in areas away from home.

Date: December 05, 2023 08:50PM
bfd

I was looking at the Prius, on the Toyota website, before I posted. It sure looks better than it used to.
I might have to actually go see one.

Date: December 05, 2023 10:01PM
rgG
bfd

I was looking at the Prius, on the Toyota website, before I posted. It sure looks better than it used to.

Absolutely worth test driving anything before you buy!

Inventory is also an issue with these Toyotas. I tried to find one earlier this year, and very few were for sale. Most dealers gave me a year plus delivery estimate.
Date: December 05, 2023 10:37PM
sekker
rgG
bfd

Absolutely worth test driving anything before you buy!

Inventory is also an issue with these Toyotas. I tried to find one earlier this year, and very few were for sale. Most dealers gave me a year plus delivery estimate.

They can't find enough doohickeys?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 05, 2023 11:02PM
Have you checked out the Toyota RAV4 and Corolla Cross Hybrids? Well under $40K as well.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 05, 2023 11:10PM
Chevy Bolt. Checks everything on your wishlist.

Isn’t it nice to finally be able to have choices in EVs!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2023 11:11PM by Speedy.
Posted by: gabester
Date: December 05, 2023 11:16PM
A new Fiat E500 is coming for $33k or so, but not eligible for any tax incentives unless you lease.

I wonder what the deal is for EV leases and buyout clauses?

g=
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 06, 2023 12:12AM
The Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Prime can go up to 42 miles on electric.

The regular RAV4 Hybrid has a much smaller battery and can only go about 4 miles on electric (I don’t think they advertise the electric range)

Both are AWD vehicles - the rear wheels are driven by an electric motor.

My 2016 RAV4 Hybrid is still running great with just scheduled maintenance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2023 12:13AM by Forrest.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 06, 2023 12:32AM
mattkime

Perhaps the best advice offered in this thread.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 06, 2023 12:33AM
vicrock
I would worry about Kia and Huyundai unless the new models have solved the "steal this one" that we are hearing about here in western WA. Almost all the smash and grab crimes involve one of these cars because they are so easy to steal.

I believe their EVs are immune to this.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 06, 2023 12:45AM
The theft spike only affects Hyundai’s and Kia’s which are started with keys. AFAIK, all EV’s are keyless

Hyundai has already fixed their cars with a software update

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2023 12:46AM by Forrest.
Date: December 06, 2023 06:53AM
Thanks for all the recommendations.
I will definitely drive before I buy. I can’t imagine doing otherwise.
I guess the thing i need to check out first is what is in stock locally.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 06, 2023 07:39AM
We'll keep our 2015 Prius Persona, haven't put gas in it since Oct. 25th. If I had to buy something today it would be a Toyota plus-in hybrid aka: Prius Prime or a Rav4 Prime, 40 miles of EV would cover 90% of our driving.

Grateful11
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 06, 2023 12:14PM
I love the EV6, but it's beyond your price range. To me, the Model 3 is a better value and still comes out quite a bit cheaper.

Since you already like your Soul, I'd definitely recommend looking into the Niro. Maybe even the plug in hybrid. Great comparisons here between the EV, the plug in hybrid, and the regular hybrid:

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 06, 2023 01:35PM
The Chevy Bolt, or the slightly larger Bolt EUV is actually a great option in your use case. It's very inexpensive. GM worked out most, if not all, of the bugs over the 10 years they made the Volt, it's hybrid cousin. Depending on which state you live in, you might be able to get one for at or even below $20k new if you include federal and state credits. The downside is that GM plans to discontinue the Bolt this year and bring it back at some later date with different batteries.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: December 06, 2023 01:56PM
datbeme
I love the EV6, but it's beyond your price range. To me, the Model 3 is a better value and still comes out quite a bit cheaper.

Since you already like your Soul, I'd definitely recommend looking into the Niro. Maybe even the plug in hybrid. Great comparisons here between the EV, the plug in hybrid, and the regular hybrid:

[www.youtube.com]

That was a very good video, thanks.
I definitely need to have the Niro on my test drive list.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 06, 2023 04:44PM
ztirffritz
The Chevy Bolt, or the slightly larger Bolt EUV is actually a great option in your use case. It's very inexpensive. GM worked out most, if not all, of the bugs over the 10 years they made the Volt, it's hybrid cousin. Depending on which state you live in, you might be able to get one for at or even below $20k new if you include federal and state credits. The downside is that GM plans to discontinue the Bolt this year and bring it back at some later date with different batteries.

The Bolt is the absolute best value in the used EV category. IMO. I don't think you will find any other EV with as low of a total cost of ownership right now. You can find 2017-2019 models with under 25k miles, brand new batteries that include battery warranties to 100k miles, for under $12k after the tax credit. Even if you only make it to the end of the warranty period you will have a net zero cost vs driving any gas powered vehicle. The total cost per mile is absurdly low, even more so if your electric company has offers as well to charge at a reduced rate at home. The primary downsides are that it isn't a Tesla(so chargers are harder to find) and that it charges slowly even with the optional DC fast charging. Your occasional 200-250 mile drive will be pushing it and depending on the details of those trips it may or may not work for you without major inconveniences.

I don't think I would buy a new one over some of the other options available, the used ones are too attractively priced. I think GM has the right idea discontinuing the smaller Bolt. I'm surprised they couldn't roll over to a new model EUV as a normal model year swap. I know plant retooling and capacity is the largest issue because the plant that makes the Bolt is switching to a different model.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2023 04:45PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: kj
Date: December 06, 2023 05:22PM
rgG
hal

I was looking at the Kia website. I’ll have to look more closely at the Niro

The Hyundai Kona is pretty much mechanically the same car as the Niro, with different styling, so worth a look.

Also, the Model 3 RWD is even less than the Y winking smiley.

The Bolt is good, and that Volvo looks to be a game changer, but I bet it will be hard to get. If you can get one of the new Prius' that would be a great choice. Put your name in soon if that's what you want!

The Fiat 500e will only have 150mi range, so probably only good for around town (but they are surprisingly good cars).

I'm amazed we haven't gotten any Chinese cars yet. They were all over in Europe. The MG and the Smart (which are the same platform, I believe) would do well here, I think.

Out of all these, I think the Niro and the Model 3 are my favorites
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 385
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020