advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RIP: Norman Lear at 101 [ TV producer ].....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 06, 2023 08:11AM
....natural causes....

Norman Lear, Legendary Sitcom Producer and All In the Family Creator, Dead at 101

....Legendary television writer/producer Norman Lear died Tuesday at his home in Los Angeles, The New York Times reports. He was 101 years old.

His death was confirmed by Lara Bergthold, a spokeswoman for the family.

A four-time Emmy Award winner for the 1970s juggernaut All in the Family, the New Haven, Conn., native also produced the hit comedy’s spinoffs, Maude and The Jeffersons, One Day at a Time, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman and the Maude offshoot Good Times. Lear was nominated for an Academy Award for writing 1967’s Divorce American Style, was a producer on, among other features, Rob Reiner’s classics Stand by Me and The Princess Bride, was among the first seven inductees into the Television Hall of Fame, and was the subject of the documentary Norman Lear: Just Another Version of You.

Lear in the past several years has been almost as prolific, exec-producing a reimagining of One Day at a Time (featuring a Latino family) for Netflix/Pop TV, as well as ABC’s Live in Front of a Studio Audience franchise of sitcom episode reenactments (which to date has taken on All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Good Times, Diff’rent Strokes and The Facts of Life).......

.....................RIP.......................?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2023 08:12AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP: Norman Lear at 101 [ TV producer ].....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 06, 2023 08:35AM
A huge talent, his resume reads like Television's top hits. Those were the days...

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: rz
Date: December 06, 2023 09:32AM
Truly a legend. RIP.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 06, 2023 09:35AM
Hell of a run and a hell of a resume. R.I.P. Mr. Lear.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 06, 2023 09:39AM
Those were the daaaaaaays!

RIP
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 06, 2023 10:23AM
RIP.

There goes network television creativity.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 06, 2023 11:49AM
He was a womanizer.

He also fulfilled the powerful man’s “traditional” practice of “trading up for a newer model” wife.

Spouses:
#1 Charlotte Rosen - Married 1943. He was 21, she was 22. Divorced 1956. One daughter, born 1947 (2 years OLDER than his third wife!)

#2 Frances Loeb - Married  1956. He was 34, she was 33. Divorced 1985. Two daughters, born 1957 (when his third wife was just 8 years old) and 1959.

#3 Lyn Davis - Married 1987. He was 65, she was 38. One son, two daughters. He was 27 when she was born; old enough to be her father.

“I’m just one selfish cat!”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2023 11:50AM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 06, 2023 12:37PM
Prior to his career in television, Lear dropped out of high school and joined the US Army in WW2. He was a radio operator on a B17, flying 52 missions.

There is so much more to men of his generation than we generally know.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 06, 2023 12:57PM
DeusxMac
He was a womanizer.

He also fulfilled the powerful man’s “traditional” practice of “trading up for a newer model” wife.

Spouses:
#1 Charlotte Rosen - Married 1943. He was 21, she was 22. Divorced 1956. One daughter, born 1947 (2 years OLDER than his third wife!)

#2 Frances Loeb - Married  1956. He was 34, she was 33. Divorced 1985. Two daughters, born 1957 (when his third wife was just 8 years old) and 1959.

#3 Lyn Davis - Married 1987. He was 65, she was 38. One son, two daughters. He was 27 when she was born; old enough to be her father.

Only once; a year difference is completely negligible.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 06, 2023 01:21PM
When the talk turns to breakthroughs and triumphs … so many for just one person.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 06, 2023 03:13PM
DeusxMac
He was a womanizer.

Spouses:

That is the worst case of "frog mouth caused by plastic surgery" that I've seen in a long time.

Did he cheat on these wives?

The age differences of the first two marriages are not even worth noting, and the fact is that the third marriage was a long and happy one so perhaps it was love after all.

Posted by: hal
Date: December 06, 2023 03:23PM
$tevie
That is the worst case of "frog mouth caused by plastic surgery" that I've seen in a long time.

I can't believe that people think it's worth the effort and money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2023 03:23PM by hal.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 06, 2023 09:29PM
hal
$tevie

I can't believe that people think it's worth the effort and money.

I think they must all believe that theirs will be different.
Posted by: Janit
Date: December 08, 2023 07:54AM
$tevie

The age differences of the first two marriages are not even worth noting, and the fact is that the third marriage was a long and happy one so perhaps it was love after all.

I guess some think that 38 year old women still haven't reached adulthood. What do we even know about this woman?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 08, 2023 09:43AM
Janit
$tevie

I guess some think that 38 year old women still haven't reached adulthood. What do we even know about this woman?

"Norman and Lyn first met in 1984 at a dinner party hosted by him and his second wife, Frances, and Lyn was actually on a blind date with one of Norman's friends that evening. Lyn, who was working on her PhD at the time, later reached out to him for help on her thesis."

She was 35, he was 62, and married. I'm sure they both "knew" what they were doing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020