advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
things that make you go 'M'mm?!....new M3 Macbook Air models coming.......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 07, 2023 05:11AM
......March 2024.....

New M3 MacBook Air Models Expected Around March 2024

.....Apple plans to refresh the MacBook Air around March 2024, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said today in a report on Apple's future iPad and Mac plans. Updated 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models are in the works.

As Apple overhauled the MacBook Air's design in 2022 and then introduced a larger model in 2023, no design changes are planned for the 2024 models. The focus will instead be on new internal hardware, including the updated M3 chip.

Introduced earlier this year in the updated MacBook Pro models, the M3 chip is the first chip built on Apple's 3-nanometer process, bringing performance and efficiency improvements. M3 chip benchmarks suggest that the CPU is up to 21 percent faster than the M2, and the GPU is up to 15 percent faster.

According to Gurman, Apple is developing the Macs alongside macOS 14.3, an update that is expected between the end of January and February, but new hardware may ship around the March timeframe. The new MacBook Air models could be timed to launch alongside updated iPad Pro and iPad Air models, which are coming around March.

There is no word yet on when other Macs might be refreshed. The MacBook Pro and iMac models were updated in October 2023, the Mac mini was last updated in January 2023, and the Mac Studio and Mac Pro updated in June 2023.

In the fourth fiscal quarter of 2023, Apple saw a steep decline in Mac sales. Macs brought in $7.6 billion, down 34 percent from the $11.5 billion that Apple earned in Q4 2022. Apple expects Mac sales to go up following the launch of the October MacBook Pro models, and an early 2024 MacBook Air refresh will also help to drive growth.......

.........new MacBook Airs......coming........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2023 05:12AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: things that make you go 'M'mm?!....new M3 Macbook Air models coming.......
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 07, 2023 06:47AM
sadly they will still be missing a bump in base ram and drive.

want a compelling reason for me to switch everyone from their base M1 MBA and minis to M3 ... make the base model same cost with 16/512.

*then* we might upgrade.

Sure, it might piss some peeps off, or maybe even kill some 14" MBP sales... but who cares. MBAs sell far far far more.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 07, 2023 07:19AM
jdc
Sure, it might piss some peeps off, or maybe even kill some 14" MBP sales... but who cares. MBAs sell far far far more.

Maybe give the base 14 inch the same specs with more ports and support for more displays, so there would still be a reason to upgrade...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: gabester
Date: December 07, 2023 08:27AM
Yah I was really hoping the M3 would have more display support capabilities... and rather than at least satisfy the confusion caused by the previous 13" MacBook Pro M1/2 not being able to support more than a single external monitor, Apple made things worse by eliminating the differentiating 13" Pro model which you could at a glance say "that only supports a single display" and putting the M3 into the low end 14" MacBook Pro chassis so now you need to look carefully at the ports on the right side to see whether there's a 3rd USB-C connector to support 2 or more external displays.

BOO!

I hope Apple introduces another color on the M3 MacBook Airs... red or green.

g=
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 07, 2023 08:31AM
I love the form factor of the 15" Air but I need the capabilities of the 16". I am also not looking forward to paying for the 16" either.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: prymsnap
Date: December 07, 2023 10:11AM
I know I'm waaaaay in the minority, but I still hope for another 11" MBAir.
Posted by: gabester
Date: December 07, 2023 10:28AM
prymsnap
I know I'm waaaaay in the minority, but I still hope for another 11" MBAir.

Apple now calls that the "iPad Pro with Magic keyboard case"

If only they'd let us install macOS on an iPad this problem could be solved!

Instead their solution is to move macOS to "feature parity" with iPadOS thereby eliminating most of the best general purpose computing functionality.

g=
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 07, 2023 11:02AM
pRICE cUBE
I love the form factor of the 15" Air but I need the capabilities of the 16". I am also not looking forward to paying for the 16" either.

Or carrying that beast around! If you need portability and can make do with the 14" screen, consider one of the "real" 14" MBP that have feature parity (other than screen) with the 16". 14" MBP screen (3024x1964) is higher resolution than the 15" Air (2880x1864), so you'll have "more" real estate than the 15" Air, but things will appear smaller. 16" is 3456x2234 for reference.

I was shocked at how much heavier the 16" is compared to its Intel predecessors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2023 11:05AM by Gareth.
Posted by: Black
Date: December 07, 2023 11:12AM
Same clunky form factors :-(
Posted by: rz
Date: December 07, 2023 11:38AM
I'm eyeing a used M1 Air for cheap on CL. It's in a town I will be visiting on business next week. The M1 will be plenty for what I would use it for.
Date: December 07, 2023 12:30PM
gabester
Yah I was really hoping the M3 would have more display support capabilities....

Not saying its the answer, but there are some display port devices under $100 that will give you multiple screens. can slow down the Mac if its running minimal ram.

Regardless, its an "air" so Id call multi screen support a "pro" feature, so not bothered by it not having the capability. (yeah, I know, not the 14" semipro)

It would take a vast shift in the entire lineup to make things "better".

For some reason, making a "true" 14" MBP start @ $1699 is a non starter. Or starting it with 32/1 TB to be a better "value" than a 16/512 MBA. Cause then it means dropping the 16" MBP by $300 as well. Someone somewhere in accounting has done the math and said "even if we sell more for less we wont make more money"... end of discussion.

Its classic apple (well any smart business) "just another $xxxxx more" and all of the sudden you are spending double.

Date: December 07, 2023 05:52PM
Gareth
pRICE cUBE

Or carrying that beast around! If you need portability and can make do with the 14" screen, consider one of the "real" 14" MBP that have feature parity (other than screen) with the 16". 14" MBP screen (3024x1964) is higher resolution than the 15" Air (2880x1864), so you'll have "more" real estate than the 15" Air, but things will appear smaller. 16" is 3456x2234 for reference.

I was shocked at how much heavier the 16" is compared to its Intel predecessors.

I looked at the 14" at the Apple Store and it's just not quite there for me. The 15" is slightly larger but makes my eyes feel like it is the right size. It's going to be the 15 or 16 for me. The 15 is underpowered for what I do and the 16 is a chunky boy.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: sekker
Date: December 07, 2023 07:17PM
pRICE cUBE
Gareth
pRICE cUBE

I looked at the 14" at the Apple Store and it's just not quite there for me. The 15" is slightly larger but makes my eyes feel like it is the right size. It's going to be the 15 or 16 for me. The 15 is underpowered for what I do and the 16 is a chunky boy.

Have you used a fully outfitted 15 MBA? I bet you would be surprised at its capabilities.
Date: December 07, 2023 09:37PM
sekker
pRICE cUBE
Gareth
pRICE cUBE

Have you used a fully outfitted 15 MBA? I bet you would be surprised at its capabilities.

I was loaned a 13" M2 for a project and M2 isn't going to be enough for similar projects. The $1999 M3 Pro MBP might be where I need to compromise. I am traveling more for some projects so maybe the 16" is going to be too bulky for hauling from airport to airport and work on planes.

Date: December 08, 2023 01:49PM
pRICE cUBE
I was loaned a 13" M2 for a project and M2 isn't going to be enough for similar projects. The $1999 M3 Pro MBP might be where I need to compromise. I am traveling more for some projects so maybe the 16" is going to be too bulky for hauling from airport to airport and work on planes.

perhaps a small portable screen for when you do travel.

Lots to choose from, even some tripel screen setups. Basic 16" 1080p is $75 or so?

$200:

Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 08, 2023 02:38PM
jdc
pRICE cUBE

Lots to choose from, even some tripel screen setups. Basic 16" 1080p is $75 or so?

$200:

Wow, I had no idea that kind of thing existed.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 08, 2023 03:30PM
pRICE cUBE
sekker
pRICE cUBE
Gareth
pRICE cUBE

I have a 14" MBP for this very reason - it's quite capable but not as massive as a 16".

If I were you, I would look for a previous generation model on sale. There have been many such deals posted here, and usually under $2k.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 08, 2023 04:05PM
jdc

There are lots of triple screen setups in the 14" size, some in the 15" size. Very few in the 16" size. The "Apple" of triple screen setups is probably [www.monduo.co] at an eye watering $800.

Doubtful there are many true 16" portable screens for under $100. 15.x" 1080p, yes.

But another thing I've learned, is that you want your main screen to be the laptop screen. The portable screens just aren't as nice, sharp or bright. They're great for pallets and other non-primary content.
Date: December 09, 2023 04:52AM
Gareth
Doubtful there are many true 16" portable screens for under $100. 15.x" 1080p, yes.

But another thing I've learned is that you want your main screen to be the laptop screen. The portable screens just aren't as nice, sharp or bright. They're great for pallets and other non-primary content.

Well... it's just a 'travel" screen for more real estate, not a MBP screen replacement. 15.6 @1080p is $75. Like you said perfect for non primary content, email, www, etc.. and work on MBP screen.

I did get a notice from a manufac about an 16" OLED portable, but its was $$.

Have to manage expectations? usefulness vs portability? Technically if I remove the foot on my iMac I can fit it + second 27" screen in a carry-on without too much difficulty ...if I had to travel by plane.

If you are cheaping out with the least amount of $$ and smallest pro -- OWC has $1500 14" M1 PRO 16/1TB + $250 for side screens = a lot of portable apple productivity for $1750. Left screen, email/word/etc -- right screen, browsers -- middle screen, primary apps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2023 04:58AM by jdc.
Date: December 09, 2023 06:44AM
I am seeing more tests that look like the base M3 might be ok for Topaz AI. My traveling for work begins well before spring though. Microcenter cruelly has a new 16" M2 Pro for $1899 but the closest one to SLC is 8 hours away in winter weather. MC loves to rolls out these deals and not ship.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 406
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020