advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A promising breast cancer vaccine trial is underway
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 08, 2023 11:58AM
A groundbreaking vaccine created through decades of research at the Cleveland Clinic and developed by Anixa Biosciences in San Jose, California is driving innovation by targeting triple-negative breast cancer, the disease's deadliest and most aggressive form.

"This vaccine could potentially eliminate breast cancer," said Dr. Amit Kumar, Anixa CEO.

The vaccine's findings from its first trial with 16 women were published Wednesday, with each participant reporting no bad side effects and no resurgence of their cancer so far.

Several years of tests on animals showed 100% effectiveness. The developers have received approval for further human trials in 2024. Those trials would involve more than 600 women in a double-blind test.

If those tests go well, and the FDA approves, the drug could be ready for distribution in five years.

[www.yahoo.com]

I truly hope this works and is kept affordable enough for widespread distribution throughout the world. The world needs some good news.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A promising breast cancer vaccine trial is underway
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 08, 2023 02:51PM
I heard about a new crispr therapy that was just approved for the treatment/cure of sickle cell.
It sounded incredible, but the cost was 2.2million per patient.

The rational for that price was that it would cost over twice that for conventional treatment of the effects of the disease.

[www.nbcnews.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: gadje
Date: December 08, 2023 03:12PM
Hopefully the antivaxers refuse the treatment.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 08, 2023 05:09PM
It needs to be called a breast cancer CURE because half of the country does not trust any vaccine.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: December 08, 2023 06:01PM
rgG
I heard about a new crispr therapy that was just approved for the treatment/cure of sickle cell.

The rational for that price was that it would cost over twice that for conventional treatment of the effects of the disease.

[www.nbcnews.com]

It involves four months of preliminary therapy, a full bone marrow transplant, and a two-month hospital stay.

Typical price just for a major bone marrow transplant is $7-800,000.

CRIPES! The side effects... Even if it were affordable, this would not be for everyone.

Think of it as proof-of-concept for CRISPR therapies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2023 06:05PM by Tiangou.
Posted by: Diana
Date: December 08, 2023 06:15PM
hal
It needs to be called a breast cancer CURE because half of the country does not trust any vaccine.

I understand the sentiment, but calling it a cure when it really isn’t is unethical; this same argument was made recently by the doctor for my mom’s cancer when he called the surgery to remove the tumor a “cure” to mom in my brother’s presence. Keep in mind that my brother spent 15 years as the ethicist on an IRB board for cancer research.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 08, 2023 06:16PM
Tiangou
rgG

[www.nbcnews.com]

It involves four months of preliminary therapy, a full bone marrow transplant, and a two-month hospital stay.

Typical price just for a major bone marrow transplant is $7-800,000.

CRIPES! The side effects... Even if it were affordable, this would not be for everyone.

Think of it as proof-of-concept for CRISPR therapies.

Yes, I just saw this on the news too. While it may be a full cure for those affected, between the financial expense and what the patient has to go through... and then with the possibility of off-target effects and/or side-effects... I dunno. I would want to see what happens to the preliminary set of patients long-term.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 08, 2023 08:15PM
Just heard about a new treatment to wipe out dental cavities. It's a variant of the oral bacterium that outcompetes the tooth decay-causing variety-it produced alcohol instead of lactic acid. Not enough to get you tipsy, though.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 08, 2023 11:54PM
Great news.

Posted by: pdq
Date: December 09, 2023 08:32AM
I’m skeptical. They’ve been working on cancer vaccines for at least 40-some years now (or more) without success.

I would loooove to be proved wrong, but…
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020