The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
where to retire .....
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 08, 2023 05:39PM
The 15 Best Places to Retire

been looking overseas to retire.

if you could retire anywhere, what faves and no fkn way?

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: where to retire .....
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 08, 2023 06:04PM
I loved Costa Rica when I was vacationing there, though it's been 30 years. I'm retired now, but it's still on my list for places where I'd like to live when my wife retires.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 08, 2023 06:38PM
Being close to the people you love isn't given the consideration it deserves.

So not so much a where question, as a who question.

You can always go on trips.

But who is going to be there as the light fades?
Posted by: clay
Date: December 08, 2023 07:08PM
Lemon Drop

Yeah, this is what I come back to when thinking about this.

Still, I could imagine taking extended trips abroad (like 1-3 months at a time) especially early in retirement. I kind of like to get settled in and kind of just have a normal routine and not have to do anything in particular. I might get tired of that, but....nah, who am I kidding, no I won't :-)

But retirement is still a good ways off for me, but it's fun to dream.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 08, 2023 07:20PM
For me, it would be Hawaii, love everything about it.

We are dreaming cost no issue, right?

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: December 08, 2023 07:25PM
dreaming no issues of any kind.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 08, 2023 07:32PM
We owned a couple of acres on a western Caribbean island in my wife's home country but finally sold it last year. The island had about 20,000 expats when we sold (vs. less than 5000 when we purchased in 1998). The locals learned fast to give a wide berth to the invading Norte Americanos.

Living in Florida, I learned a long time ago that there is nothing more aggravating than hearing about how it was done back home.

So the first piece of advice is do not go where tourism is popular, the change we saw once the cruise ships came is frightening. The second piece is to avoid any place that has more than two real estate chains.

Wherever you land overseas, adapt to live like the locals. Do not expect them to adapt to your norms. You found the place desirable for a reason, changing it will not improve it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 08, 2023 07:32PM
Lemon Drop

well, maybe for some. wife and I have practically zero contact with our families.

Ive told my daughters (freshman college and junior HS) they should go wherever the wind takes them, or if they find a partner who has extended family but far way, go for it.

They only have 2 cousins, no contact.

They have lived practically in the same place their whole life -- the Sacramento area (well the oldest is in San Luis Obisbo now) with only one move about 15 miles a few years ago. They enjoy the CA weather... never done snow.

So we have no clue. Maybe ride this house out... but its too big, and would like a single story again. Hawaii would be fine, but prob too far from the kids... wherever they end up.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 08, 2023 08:10PM
Seattle
Vancouver
Hawaii
New Zealand
Costa Rico
Southern coast of France

Those are all assuming I have a single home base, as opposed to a "summer home" and a "winter home"....
Posted by: rz
Date: December 08, 2023 08:12PM
Of the US locations listed in that link:

Sarasota - I'd live there. I'm about 2 hours from there anyway. Florida's west coast is very nice. You're less than an hour from a "big" city (Tampa).

Asheville - Beautiful. Cooler in winter than I'd like, but otherwise nice.

Savannah - Very nice. I'd consider living there.

Santa Fe - Never been there, but sounds nice.

Hilo - Only been to Oahu, but I imagine it's very nice. I was told it's very difficult for non-natives to buy property in Hawaii. A friend who retired about 10 years ago tried in vain to buy something in HI, but finally gave up.

Portland ME - nice place to visit, but too damn cold to live there.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 08, 2023 08:13PM
That's a better than usual list. Asheville is a great place--some colleagues from work just sold their house in the DC area and moved here-cashed out and got a nicer house in a more relaxed and scenic area.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 08, 2023 08:28PM
Yellowknife in the summer, McAllen, Texas in the winter where we are expecting twin grandbabies (son’s) in March or April, our first grandbabies. But we will also spend plenty of time in Minnesota where our daughter has her dream home. Lots of travel for the next ten years or as long as my now-73 yo body can still do it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2023 03:30AM by Speedy.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 08, 2023 08:40PM
Our recent move brings us close to family for the first time since we graduated from college. It's been very nice.

I think our most likely next steps will be to add a summer place (to avoid the high Texan heat). That might be, like Speedy, somewhere in MN if our kids stick there.
Date: December 08, 2023 08:42PM
New Zealand
Portugal
Denmark
Spain

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: August West
Date: December 08, 2023 09:06PM
The only thing i've considered thus far is that it should be a college town, there will be amenities i like and an influx of youth each year.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 08, 2023 09:11PM
Lemon Drop

That's my feeling. Whenever I fantasize about living far away, I end up realizing I don't want to be that far from my family. They are already too spread out around the country as it is.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 08, 2023 11:13PM
August West
The only thing i've considered thus far is that it should be a college town, there will be amenities i like and an influx of youth each year.

this is really important, I think. new life and an invigoration of change every September (and June).

for me, it's living in a city; I could not live without art museums, some street life, and concert venues (large and small).

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Diana
Date: December 08, 2023 11:53PM
As Ombligo said:

Living in Florida, I learned a long time ago that there is nothing more aggravating than hearing about how it was done back home.

I could accept it only if they added “boy, what idiots we were!” at the end.

Variety is indeed the spice that makes life interesting, and the day you stop thinking about it that way and start thinking the world needs to move at your pace, and the way you want it, is the day you need to go home. You’re done here.
Posted by: Cary
Date: December 09, 2023 05:34AM
I would have a really hard time just up and leaving family and friends, mostly my kids and (so far only one) grandkids.

I want to travel, but I like seeing them and sharing their lives on a regular basis.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 09, 2023 06:47AM
Cary
I would have a really hard time just up and leaving family and friends, mostly my kids and (so far only one) grandkids.

I want to travel, but I like seeing them and sharing their lives on a regular basis.

Realistically, that's pretty much me too. My Hawaii comment above is fantasy, when money is no concern.
In the real world, I have a nice ranch style home, nearly an acre of land, 34 ground mount solar panels that over produce my electric needs (in an all electric house), and both mortgage and solar loan paid off.
Now, if I could convince myself and my wife to spend the money to double the size of the kitchen, I'd be as happy as a pig in mud.
So, sounds like when I retire in 3-ish years, I'll stay where I am, but travel as much as possible.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 09, 2023 07:03AM
Yes college towns are wonderful and that's an aspect of my hometown that I so appreciate. 3 liberal arts schools, one a top 10 nationally, a regional branch of the state's flagship university, and a couple of excellent community colleges in a town with 80k people. Not bad.

As a native of the western Carolinas it's been a surprise to see sleepy, remote Asheville become this hip, trendy, crowded, touristy and overpriced foodie and artisan culture destination.

Scenic year round, but overrun in the summer with wealthy folk escaping the Florida heat. Good luck getting a reservation.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: December 09, 2023 07:06AM
Was seriously looking into New Zealand earlier this year, especially if things go sideways next year (you know what I mean). Great weather, progressive government, lovely environment (except for the hole in the ozone). Biggest deterrent is proximity to family and travel to and from is expensive and long.

More realistic now is to maintain US as a home base and spend 1-2 months abroad a few times a year.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: December 09, 2023 07:14AM
I would move to Phuket just to tell people where I lived.
Date: December 09, 2023 07:37AM
having spent a great deal of my yoot touring, I have seen the "fugly American" and worked with them.
We've learned well to travel as a guest and not expect (or want) America overseas.
But would definitely want to be near a cultural center.
Barely see family now, so that's no deterrent.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: TLB
Date: December 09, 2023 07:51AM
Where ever the grandkids are...at least until they'll have nothing to do with me.
Posted by: dk62
Date: December 09, 2023 08:24AM
New Zealand seems nice, but do not want to think about immigration paperwork and health care coverage. So either US or EU - Madrid, Porto, and Sienna all look nice. Love Denmark, but real expensive. Same with Vienna - would be my #1 place in Europe except for the cost. In the US, St Petersburg, Santa Fe, potentially Portland ME. Asheville is nice but getting very very popular. Taiwan (where wife is from) would be great if it were not for China.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2023 08:25AM by dk62.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 09, 2023 09:08AM
College towns would be a choice for me. Students are a blessing, and a curse. Small Christian college towns have less free-roaming shenanigans. Not zero, but less. I would enjoy the proximity to affordable lectures, arts performances and sports with convenient parking.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 09, 2023 09:19AM
Acer
College towns would be a choice for me. Students are a blessing, and a curse. Small Christian college towns have less free-roaming shenanigans. Not zero, but less. I would enjoy the proximity to affordable lectures, arts performances and sports with convenient parking.

If my daughter and her husband would relocate to Athens, GA I would be down to move there.
I just can’t see me moving to Brooklyn, where they live now. I doubt they will be moving anytime soon though.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2023 09:20AM by rgG.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 09, 2023 12:40PM
My wife's parents sort of retired to San Miguel de Allende, MX about 40 years ago, when it wasn't such an influx of wealth. They kept their house in Kansas and spent as much time as they could in SMA, going back to the US only for taxes and a few serious medical issues. They had a lot of like-minded retired expats in their circle and seemed to be enjoying themselves. I met a psychologist there who was fascinated by the youth and vitality of the American expats there. Her parents have passed on, and we haven't been back since 2005, so it has surely changed.

Posted by: Cary
Date: December 09, 2023 09:54PM
rgG
Acer

If my daughter and her husband would relocate to Athens, GA I would be down to move there.
I just can’t see me moving to Brooklyn, where they live now. I doubt they will be moving anytime soon though.

My daughter and son-in-law live in Brooklyn. My wife and I just moved into a 55 and older community on Long Island. I don’t want to live in BK, but am close enough to be there in an hour…
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 09, 2023 10:54PM
Leo Laporte was alway talking up some Central (?) or South American (?) country to retire to.

Apparently he and his wife were pretty serious about it, at least On Air.

I can't remember what country, and it's been bugging me for some time.

Maybe it was a San– something, but there are so many of those that might just be me trying to fill in a blank.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 10, 2023 10:44AM
Spain
Relatively cheap, great rail network, great food and wine.

I speak the language, tho my Northern Mexico/South Texas dialect would be seen as a Redneck dialect!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 11, 2023 10:40AM
Fritz,

Can't say a specific place as of yet. However, I do have one very important requirement. It has to be a place where I will never have to shovel and/or drive in snow and ice again. Ever.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 353
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020