advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 27, 2023 02:16PM
Friend of mine in Wisconsin found an Apple Watch SE a few days ago and has been trying to figure out who owns it so she can reunite them. Posted signs in the neighborhood and in neighborhood online groups. No interest. She's also been trying various passcodes with time intervals so it does lock out.

today, for the heck of it, she tried 0000. BINGO!

Can't decide if the owner is an idiot or a genius for having such an obvious passcode.

Update: She's turned the watch into local police. Got a name from settings but no other contact info. I guess someone using 0000 is not bright enough to have set up Medical ID which has emergency contact names and numbers.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2023 02:30PM by graylocks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 0000
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 27, 2023 02:58PM
I've done that before. I found an iPhone on a playground and tried a few obvious passcodes. One of them worked and I was able to find the owner, call their mom, and get the phone back to them.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 27, 2023 06:00PM
It's nice that your friend spent so much time trying to get the watch back to its owner. Not everyone would.

Date: December 27, 2023 06:09PM
$tevie
It's nice that your friend spent so much time trying to get the watch back to its owner. Not everyone would.

yeah. ex girl scout. it’s in her DNA i think.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 28, 2023 02:52AM
Am I the only one that thought "steel wool" ? ? ?
==

ztirffritz
I've done that before. I found an iPhone on a playground and tried a few obvious passcodes. One of them worked and I was able to find the owner, call their mom, and get the phone back to them.

OTOH, Baby Buzz found one face down in the wet grass on a Friday afternoon, in the earliest days of iPhonery, next to his hoity toity HS.....
brought it home, dried it out; not the best water resistance back then.
Easy to get into..... had kid call owner's home..... hoity toity mom answered.... came over immediately  in yucky weather.....
Hoity toity HS draws kids from wide area around L.A.; we live about as far southwest as possible, and iPhone owners' lived about as far north-northeast as possible.
I woulda just waited until Monday, back at school, for a rendezvous.
The things some people do for their kids.....

cool smiley
==
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 28, 2023 10:42AM
Another vote for steel wool!

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: December 28, 2023 10:46AM
Steel wool FTW!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 28, 2023 05:38PM
Buzz
Am I the only one that thought "steel wool" ? ? ?
==

ztirffritz

OTOH, Baby Buzz found one face down in the wet grass on a Friday afternoon, in the earliest days of iPhonery, next to his hoity toity HS.....
brought it home, dried it out; not the best water resistance back then.
Easy to get into..... had kid call owner's home..... hoity toity mom answered.... came over immediately  in yucky weather.....
Hoity toity HS draws kids from wide area around L.A.; we live about as far southwest as possible, and iPhone owners' lived about as far north-northeast as possible.
I woulda just waited until Monday, back at school, for a rendezvous.
The things some people do for their kids.....

cool smiley
==

Kid who lost it was on a visiting athletic team?

"Hoity toity HS" and "as far southwest" sounds like PVHS (or maybe Penn) to me, but y'll live in the Valley, IIRC.

It is what it is.
Posted by: gadje
Date: December 28, 2023 06:06PM
Isn’t there any evidence of the owner on an Apple Watch? Email or Text messages? Anything at all?
Date: December 28, 2023 06:31PM
gadje
Isn’t there any evidence of the owner on an Apple Watch? Email or Text messages? Anything at all?

you're question made me take a look. In settings my name and email address are accessible under Settings>Apple ID. I wonder if those things don't show up if the phone is not present.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020