advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Super annoyed at Apple (not that Apple) - New Beatles Blue CD
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 13, 2024 08:10PM
Daughter gifted me the new Beatles Blue CD for one of my Christmas gifts. I didn’t get around to listening until this week but when opening it, I found I couldn’t get disc 1 out of the middle package holder. It was ridiculously tight and took quite a bit of force to push/pull it out. When I looked at the disc I saw it had been scratched on both ends from the cardboard. I listened to disc 1 on my cheap, old Orbitron CD player, no issues. Disc 2 slid out much easier from the end compartment and had also no issues playing.

I decided to listen to the CDs in my studio on my Denon DN 600F CD player but found neither CD would play on the 600F. I’m amazed that these CDs will play on my cheap Chinese Orbitron but not on what was considered a higher end CD player in its day. Other CDs play fine on the Denon, just not these new Beatle CDs.

I have always hated CD packaging, going back to the aggravating, impossible to remove security tape manufacturers used to use. And after this packaging scratched my disc, I guess I still hate CD packaging.

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Super annoyed at Apple (not that Apple) - New Beatles Blue CD
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 14, 2024 01:18AM
Have you tried whitening tooth paste? Gently rub the toothpaste on the cd with microfiber cloth to “buff out” the scratches. Worked quite well on a genesis dvd.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: January 14, 2024 04:53AM
I haven’t thought about that CD security tape in years!

They were kinda holographic IIRC

Thanks for that blast from the past

And yeah that tape was a pain to remove, you’re right :-)

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Date: January 14, 2024 08:03AM
Spiff
Have you tried whitening tooth paste? Gently rub the toothpaste on the cd with microfiber cloth to “buff out” the scratches. Worked quite well on a genesis dvd.

Thanks it’s been so long since I’ve bought CDs that I’d forgotten about that. I’ll give it a try.

JoeM
Date: January 14, 2024 08:10AM
pinkoos
I haven’t thought about that CD security tape in years!

They were kinda holographic IIRC

Thanks for that blast from the past

And yeah that tape was a pain to remove, you’re right :-)

I probably sent a million cuss words out into the universe during the years I bought loads of CDs. One year while attending an AES convention in NYC a company was giving away a little plastic tool that fit over the CD edge and slit the tape making opening those CDs a breeze. It should have gotten an award for best music lovers tool invented in the 80s.

JoeM
Posted by: jonny
Date: January 14, 2024 09:17AM
I haven't heard it yet. What do you think of the new mixes?
Posted by: DP
Date: January 14, 2024 09:23AM
plastic tool

I used those seatbelt cutters.

Back to music.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: January 14, 2024 10:07AM
I remember being very excited to hear the Sgt. Pepper’s new release 5 years ago, or whenever that happened.
One of my main observations was that my playback system had changed so much, and it had the bigger impact.
Date: January 14, 2024 06:56PM
jonny
I haven't heard it yet. What do you think of the new mixes?

I haven’t had a chance to listen on my better speakers, just on the small Klipsch set that I have in my TV room. I think the separation sounds good but I’d like to A/B the new mixes with the older versions I have. I may need to take another cheap Chinese CD player and patch it into my studio so I can listen there.

JoeM
So... What about the music?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 15, 2024 05:26PM
What is supposed to be different about this CD?

Another interpretation of how some songs are 'supposed' to sound?

There've been so many reissues and remasters I don't really know what's what, what's worth listening to.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 15, 2024 05:56PM
I love the Beatles more than anything, but the constant remastering and reissuing and re-imagining is pissing me off. How many times are we supposed to repurchase music that we already bought on vinyl, 8-track, CD, and mp3?
Honestly, the Beatles albums were fine the way they came out. If one receives something newer as a gift, that's fine, but I say one is better off investing in a good old fashioned stereo set-up and blasting the originals.

Date: January 15, 2024 11:33PM
I haven’t had time to find out all the differences but they supposedly added more songs to these new discs and now include some of Harrison’s songs. Not all the tracks on The Blue Album have been remixed. They've only remixed things that haven't been remixed since 2015, so this includes 'I Am The Walrus', 'The Fool On The Hill', 'Magical Mystery Tour', 'Revolution', 'Old Brown Shoe' and 'Hey Bulldog' on The Blue Album. All of the other tracks are exactly the same as the latest Deluxe Editions, so you will not hear a difference. I think more of the Red Album is remixed.

From what I’ve read so far, the Giles Martin remixes supposedly fine tuned the balance of vocals and instruments in the stereo field so it doesn’t sound as disjointed as the original remixes. It’s easier to differentiate the harmonies and the drums are more explosive. I think the sequencing is different and the mixes are geared to newer listeners who are used to streaming. I like what I’ve heard so far but you really need to listen on a good stereo or headphones and compare with the previous mixes to really appreciate the differences.

JoeM
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 16, 2024 01:44AM
After years decades of owning just one Beatles album, a few years back I purchased The Beatles: The Original Studio Recordings (Stereo) box set -- I am set for life.

It is what it is.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: January 16, 2024 10:14AM
I'm fortunate to have "The Beatles Remastered Studio Recordings USB Box Set."
This contained a 16 GB USB Drive with all The Beatles Stereo recordings (as well as MONO) in a FLAC 24-bit format. Many other extras, too. Issued in 2009.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: January 16, 2024 08:19PM
WHiiP
I'm fortunate to have "The Beatles Remastered Studio Recordings USB Box Set."
This contained a 16 GB USB Drive with all The Beatles Stereo recordings (as well as MONO) in a FLAC 24-bit format. Many other extras, too. Issued in 2009.

That’s sounds nice!

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020