advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What Were We Thinking? The Top Ten Most Dangerous Ads.
Posted by: Plant Goddess
Date: January 15, 2024 08:59AM
A little nostalgia but not in a good way. Makes we wonder how some of the ads we see today will be viewed in the future. The current "Jardiance" ad being aired on TV is the first to come to mine. (The one with the woman in blue jeans and switches to the yellow dress. Celebrating taking a drug.)
[tinyurl.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What Were We Thinking? The Top Ten Most Dangerous Ads.
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: January 15, 2024 09:10AM
Plant Goddess
A little nostalgia but not in a good way. Makes we wonder how some of the ads we see today will be viewed in the future. The current "Jardiance" ad being aired on TV is the first to come to mine. (The one with the woman in blue jeans and switches to the yellow dress. Celebrating taking a drug.)
[tinyurl.com]

It's no different today. There are an unlimited number of "experts", "celebrities", "doctors" and hucksters that will tout anything if the money is enough.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 15, 2024 12:47PM
Add a shot of Seagrams & and the tyke will sleep well too.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: hal
Date: January 15, 2024 12:59PM
that was a fun read - thanks
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 15, 2024 01:05PM
Thus was it ever so...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2024 01:06PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 15, 2024 03:27PM
We had a bottle of mercury in the home where I was raised. We would pick it up when Mom and Dad weren't around and sometimes a little would leak out of the cork stopper and we messed with it. That little bottle weighed I'd say between 1 and 2lbs. Real smart wasn't it.

Grateful11
Posted by: richorlin
Date: January 15, 2024 04:09PM
Grateful11
We had a bottle of mercury in the home where I was raised. We would pick it up when Mom and Dad weren't around and sometimes a little would leak out of the cork stopper and we messed with it. That little bottle weighed I'd say between 1 and 2lbs. Real smart wasn't it.

Along with the mercury used in our dental fillings in the fifties.

richorlin
Check out DRAWINGMYLIFE.COM
“Hand-crafted humor since 1947”
More laughs than a barrel of dead monkeys
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 15, 2024 04:38PM
richorlin
Grateful11

Don't forget painting our cuts with Mercurochrome

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 15, 2024 05:42PM
richorlin
Grateful11

Mercury is still used for amalgam fillings, they still are pretty standard for fillings in molars as they stand up better than th alternatives. The research into this is that properly mixed and placed amalgam fillings are not an issue. Not what the conspiracy sites would have your believe. The rare individual will have an allergic reaction, but some also have reactions to the alternatives.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 15, 2024 05:43PM
I've got a question. If it was regulated within an inch of its life, is there any way DDT could be brought back specifically to treat bed bugs and disallowed for all other uses? I know two people who have gotten bed bugs at the hospital and honestly it freaks me out.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 15, 2024 07:47PM
JoeH
richorlin
Grateful11

Mercury is still used for amalgam fillings, they still are pretty standard for fillings in molars as they stand up better than th alternatives. The research into this is that properly mixed and placed amalgam fillings are not an issue. Not what the conspiracy sites would have your believe. The rare individual will have an allergic reaction, but some also have reactions to the alternatives.

I insist on amalgam fillings as all my composite ones "wash out" in half the time they should last.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 15, 2024 08:30PM
They're bringing back DDT:
[newrepublic.com]
[www.latimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2024 08:32PM by Tiangou.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 15, 2024 10:29PM
The natural pigment Cinnabar...

[www.naturalpigments.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 15, 2024 10:32PM
Tiangou
They're bringing back DDT:
[newrepublic.com]
[www.latimes.com]

Both articles were very interesting and enlightening, thank you for sharing them, although all I see are calls to bring it back, not any actual return to letting it come back.

Also, I feel as if the description of how indiscriminately it was used back then kind of bolsters my idea that if it was strictly regulated for use against bed bugs as opposed to being sprayed into the air in every corner of the planet (all the kids in my neighborhood used to ride their bikes behind the spray trucks as they rode around the town, jesus), and not injected into every building and piece of furniture, it might not be as dangerous this time around.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 15, 2024 10:38PM
I went on a temporary duty assignment to March AFB in the mid 90's.

I was part of a team moving AFRTS from Burbank to a new facility there.

One of the things they did was to duplicate master VCR training tapes and send them to all sorts of units.

One training tape I overheard playing was about how to add the proper amount of DDT to grains that were going to be stored on naval ships to prevent insect infestation.

I @#$%& you not.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 15, 2024 11:00PM
$tevie
Also, I feel as if the description of how indiscriminately it was used back then kind of bolsters my idea that if it was strictly regulated for use against bed bugs as opposed to being sprayed into the air in every corner of the planet (all the kids in my neighborhood used to ride their bikes behind the spray trucks as they rode around the town, jesus), and not injected into every building and piece of furniture, it might not be as dangerous this time around.

Pretty dangerous.

Hepatic effects... Neurological and neurodevelopmental effects... Reproductive and developmental reproductive effects... Body weight effects... Immunological effects... Cancer.

It's banned in the United States, even against bedbugs. (Would you really want to sleep in a bed that had been soaked in DDT?) But it's basically a "forever chemical." It's still in the environment and in people's bloodstreams today. And effects go on for generations.

Friends and family often ask Barbara Cohn, an epidemiologist at Oakland's Public Health Institute, why she studies the effects of the long-banned pesticide. Her answer: DDT continues to haunt human bodies. In earlier studies, she found that the daughters of mothers exposed to the highest DDT levels while pregnant had elevated rates of breast cancer, hypertension and obesity.

Cohn's newest study, on the exposed women's grandchildren, documents the first evidence that DDT's health effects can persist for at least three generations...

Yes, it's being used elsewhere in the world.
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

DDT is used in indoor spraying for control of vectors of malaria and visceral leishmaniasis. In negotiations that led to the treaty, there was concern that a sudden ban on DDT use could adversely affect the malaria burden. Thus, DDT was permitted to be produced and used for the purpose of controlling disease vectors in accordance with recommendations and guidelines of the World Health Organization (WHO) and when locally safe, effective, and affordable alternatives are not available (WHO 2007a). Ironically, DDT use in Africa has increased since the Stockholm Convention came into effect (Manga L, personal communication).

...DDT is currently being produced in three countries: India, China, and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK; North Korea) (Table 1). By far the largest amounts are produced in India for the purpose of disease vector control... India and China both export DDT to countries in Africa, either as technical product or as a formulation, for the purpose of vector control. DDT is being formulated in Ethiopia and South Africa with ingredients imported from China. South Africa exports some of its formulated product to other countries in Africa.

And don't forget about the eagles and falcons:
[www.epa.gov]

And condors:
[blogs.scientificamerican.com]

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 15, 2024 11:05PM
I remember in about 1958, watching a film in school about the benefits of Red Dye number two.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 16, 2024 02:05PM
Seems to me there are two levels of this "madness":

- Actions and substances which were honest attempts at improving safety and saving lives: asbestos, mercurochrome, DDT

- Actions and substances which had no actual health purposes other than to make money: tobacco, patent "medicines", alcoholic drinks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020