advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
No NFL spoilers in subject lines today please
Posted by: hal
Date: January 15, 2024 12:03PM
Yesterday BOTH games were spoiled by spoiler subject lines - let's do better today!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: No NFL spoilers in subject lines today please
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 15, 2024 12:09PM
It's a reasonable request, but are you saving the games for later watching?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 15, 2024 12:27PM
Steve G.

I'm sure there are a few of us that watch the games later for whatever reason, could be working, or prefer to watch without ads, etc. Personally, I prefer to either watch a recording at 1.3x speed and skip through the bits between plays, or I'll watch the NFL+ condensed game (which doesn't come out for a couple hours until after the game).

Others will say, "but it's news!", "it happens in real time!". But I will say, it's entertainment, and we (usually) don't spoiler the endings of TV shows and movies in the subject lines, so why can't sports be the same?

And yes, if you log into just about any other social media site, a game will be spoiled, but guess what, we're all "old" here and I'm sure many of us have no problem avoiding other social media sites. I can go weeks without looking at a social media feed, and I've moved my "Apple News Feed" down farther so it doesn't appear when I accidentally swipe over.

This forum used to be the last safe haven for a place you could visit during the day and not have sports ruined. Let's bring that safe haven back!
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 15, 2024 12:30PM
Steve G.

I won't spoil it, but that's like saying, don't spoil the Houthi's bombing, I've taped it for later.

You should talk to my friend Chris. I go through great pains to spoil his tapings. I've sent him deliveries with spoilers. He tries his best to avoid me but he can't escape me. He can't even take a phone call because he can't trust who I may have interacted with.

All of this is revenge from 40+ years ago when all the guys in my apartment building stalked one another and blasted each other with water balloons every day. Eventually that escalated from the balloons to just straight up buckets of water. Elaborate catapults, you name it. It was a protracted war.

It got so bad that we had to have a general meeting and call for a ceasefire that would last a week. We all shook and agreed on it. Of course we were all wet from pre-meeting bombings. I had a very very important interview coming up and needed to wear my good suit.

The next day, I'm a little late and walk out of my front door and down the stairs. I'm about to get on my bike and head to my interview, in my good clothes. Chris breaks the ceasefire and dumps a giant bucket of water over my head. I said "Ok, that's cool, but I'm not gonna lose."

The war continues. To this day, he'll hit me with water balloons. I'll spoil his tapings. It costs me a lot of money too.

When he lived in Houston a couple of years ago, I helped him source a Tesla in California. He needed me to verify that it was what he wanted and to help him get it shipped. I got the Tesla guy to spoil a game for me.

His in-laws live in Pasadena. My friends and I went to a UCLA tailgate. The one where they played the Colorado Buffalos. Coach Prime. UCLA has the best tailgates situations. Chris snuck into town, figured out where I was and nailed me while I was eating with a balloon.

I'll get him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2024 12:32PM by vision63.
Date: January 15, 2024 12:48PM
Damn, Vis... you tell the best stories of unbridled youth

Until recently, I COULD NOT WATCH THE NFL.

So damn much inane chatter and so little action. But now that I can watch it time-delayed, I can actually enjoy it. I CAN NOT enjoy football if I have to endure all of the ads, halftime, all those time outs (in hockey each teams gets ONE time out - no extras for overtime), the 40 seconds of standing around followed by 8 seconds of action FOR EVERY PLAY - and why the hell is there a 2min warning?? It's not like the old days when the officials kept time on a Timex on his wrist. EVERYONE knows when there is only 2min left - do we really need anOTHER TV time out?

But now, through the wonders of youtube tv, I can zip past all the nonsense and watch a game in 75min - and I can enjoy it again.

So please help - me out and not put scores or cutesy phases that you think cleverly mask the spoiler (hint - it doesn't) in the subject.

I promise to not ever dump buckets of water on your head when you are wearing your best suit. Honest!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2024 12:50PM by hal.
Date: January 15, 2024 01:29PM
hal
Damn, Vis... you tell the best stories of unbridled youth

Until recently, I COULD NOT WATCH THE NFL.

So damn much inane chatter and so little action. But now that I can watch it time-delayed, I can actually enjoy it. I CAN NOT enjoy football if I have to endure all of the ads, halftime, all those time outs (in hockey each teams gets ONE time out - no extras for overtime), the 40 seconds of standing around followed by 8 seconds of action FOR EVERY PLAY - and why the hell is there a 2min warning?? It's not like the old days when the officials kept time on a Timex on his wrist. EVERYONE knows when there is only 2min left - do we really need anOTHER TV time out?

But now, through the wonders of youtube tv, I can zip past all the nonsense and watch a game in 75min - and I can enjoy it again.

So please help - me out and not put scores or cutesy phases that you think cleverly mask the spoiler (hint - it doesn't) in the subject.

I promise to not ever dump buckets of water on your head when you are wearing your best suit. Honest!

Long ago Chris and I came to an agreement to never spoil "narratives." Stories. He was winning the war for a while and I couldn't figure out how to get back at him. We didn't have the internet. I couldn't easily communicate with his colleagues. He can be a real stinker when he wants to be. Back then I would spend a fortune on Delta Dash packages to send spoilers. I'd have one of his partners pick up the package. But it was cheaper for him to get me. The internet changed all of that.

His wife was a flight attendant for Delta and he could travel anywhere he wanted at the drop of a hat. He tracked me down once in New York City and nailed me coming out of of a West African restaurant in Brooklyn with my friend Tracie. It was below freezing too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2024 01:32PM by vision63.
Date: January 15, 2024 01:41PM
vision63
He tracked me down once in New York City and nailed me coming out of of a West African restaurant in Brooklyn with my friend Tracie. It was below freezing too.

omg! that's so damn wonderful - if it was the 2020s, he'd have a camera at the ready - I'd love to see that pic!
Date: January 15, 2024 01:50PM
hal
vision63
He tracked me down once in New York City and nailed me coming out of of a West African restaurant in Brooklyn with my friend Tracie. It was below freezing too.

omg! that's so damn wonderful - if it was the 2020s, he'd have a camera at the ready - I'd love to see that pic!

I always tell him, "why don't you just watch the games when they play 'em?" He's like "Hey, I pay for all these time-shifting features that fit my schedule." I'm like "@$%& your schedule punk."

We root for all the same teams since I met him when I was in the 8th grade and he was in the 7th. We played sports together too.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 15, 2024 05:35PM
Honestly, if I didn't want to know the outcome of a game I'd stay off the internet. There's nothing that is so important that one can't put if off until one watches the taped game. And if one isn't going to watch the taped game for a couple of days, there is no way on God's green earth you aren't going to see a spoiler, walking by a newsstand or tuning in the news on TV or listening to the radio.
The whole world can't grind to a halt so someone can watch some old-ass game on their DVR.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 15, 2024 05:38PM
$tevie
Honestly, if I didn't want to know the outcome of a game I'd stay off the internet. There's nothing that is so important that one can't put if off until one watches the taped game. And if one isn't going to watch the taped game for a couple of days, there is no way on God's green earth you aren't going to see a spoiler, walking by a newsstand or tuning in the news on TV or listening to the radio.
The whole world can't grind to a halt so someone can watch some old-ass game on their DVR.

Hear, hear!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: chopper
Date: January 15, 2024 06:25PM
Every minute you spend watching television it makes you dumber.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 15, 2024 06:27PM
chopper

And more unable to practice good grammar.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 15, 2024 07:11PM
Speedy
chopper

And more unable to practice good grammar.

That's grammer to you, Kelsey…
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 15, 2024 08:07PM
Sports is an iterative process, and it's also communal. The delay of that celebration would mean that you can't enjoy the game.

But I guess leaving out the score in a subject line wouldn't be difficult.

I still believe in spoiler alerts for movies, TV, theater, books, etc.

Hurts like a bastid...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2024 08:11PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 15, 2024 10:33PM
Yesterday I was taping the Packers/Cowboys game to enjoy in the evening. Went to a restaurant with friends and my seat was in front of three tv sets so I very much knew the score.

Fortunately, as a Packer fan I was able to come home and watch the game knowing it had a good outcome.

Reminds me: the very first game I ever recorded was when Denny Crum was ascending at the University of Louisville and I set up my new VHS tape to record the Sunday afternoon game on CBS. Got home from my afternoon activity ready to watch the game and the phone rang. Dad started the conversation with, "Too bad about the Cardinals."
Posted by: fauch
Date: January 17, 2024 04:55PM
Jets lose...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 17, 2024 05:17PM
.....i think the North.....beat the South.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

CW2V , kj
Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020