Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU on stuck light bulb in bathroom fixture
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: January 23, 2024 08:02PM
Original post: [forums.macresource.com]

First, thanks to everybody that chimed in with suggestions, you guys are the best!

Went shopping Monday and couldn’t find the WD-40 Electrical Contact locally. A really nice clerk at the ACE Hardware called her hubby who was an electrician to double check with him about what to do. No on regular WD-40 and auto electronic contact stuff. He was afraid an arc would happen when the juice was turned back on. He said to put heavy gloves on and wiggle the bejesus out of it. That didn’t work.

Step 2: did some googling and found stuff on using packing tape on the bulb and a butter knife. Put an end of a piece of tape on either side and inserted the knife in the hanging loop. Twisting a lot loosen the glass part of the bulb only and it came out in one piece without the screw in part.

Step 3: killed the juice and took down the fixture. Ended up fiddling with needle nosed pliers for awhile and finally got it out in pieces. No corrosion on the screw part so I have no clue why it was in there so tight other than dear ole Dad really cranked on it putting it in?

Step 4: had to figure out how to hold the fixture while reattaching the wires (over the sink fixture). Came up with a stack of banker boxes high enough to lay the fixture on it and attach the wires while standing upright on the counter. Yes, I used a ladder to get up and down from the sink. Juice back on and everything works. Woot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2024 08:19PM by Lizabeth.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU on stuck light bulb in bathroom fixture
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 23, 2024 08:04PM
....thanks for giving us the....FU.......and for getting it out......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: January 23, 2024 08:15PM
Good job!!

Ended up fiddling with needle nosed pliers for awhile and finally got it out in pieces.

I did that once, but I think I had to crack the bulb before.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 23, 2024 08:28PM
Thanks for not letting us hanging.

Next time just buy a case of beer and some wings. We'll come over and get the bulb loose (no guarantee we won't destroy the house along the way).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: gadje
Date: January 23, 2024 09:18PM
Thanks for the F/U.

Step 2: did some googling and found stuff on using packing tape on the bulb and a butter knife. Put an end of a piece of tape on either side and inserted the knife in the hanging loop. Twisting a lot loosen the glass part of the bulb only and it came out in one piece without the screw in part.

I have no idea what you did here. Got a link? A video?
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 23, 2024 09:23PM
gadje
Thanks for the F/U.

Sounds like taping the knife across the top of the big end of the bulb to form a T handle, and then turning that to twist the glass base of the bulb out of the threaded metal tip, hopefully without shattering the glass.
Posted by: steve...
Date: January 23, 2024 09:43PM
Ombligo
Next time just buy a case of beer and some wings. We'll come over and get the bulb loose (no guarantee we won't destroy the house along the way).

Would love to participate in the next stuck light bulb project. big grin smiley

Northern California Coast
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 23, 2024 11:23PM
The base was really stuck.

I would have waited for electrical contact cleaner.

It dries without residue, but some isopropyl alcohol on a cloth cloth and would salve anyone 'concerned'.

But it's over.

Without the possibility of some spray to possibly loosen the bulb, that glass was absolutely going to break.

No corrosion on the screw part so I have no clue why it was in there so tight other than dear ole Dad really cranked on it putting it in?

It doesn't take much to 'lock' an aluminum base bulb in to some fixtures.

You can feel the base dragging, not sliding along the threads of the socket.

My money is on the dissimilar textures of the metals allowing a 'bite' on the base with little torque.

The other possibility is a galvanic reaction if the base and socket are dissimilar metals, especially considering the humidity of a bathroom.

More extreme cases show signs of corrosion but I think it's possible to have some effect without obvious signs of corrosion.

So screw the bulb in lightly.

Another preventive step would be to loosen those bulbs occasionally or lightly coat the base with a dielectric grease, which is non-conductive.

That's a bit extreme but it should work.

I might check my bathroom bulbs later.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 24, 2024 06:23AM
excellent!
let there be light!

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Date: January 24, 2024 08:10AM
gadje
Thanks for the F/U.

Found this: [www.thespruce.com]
#6 is what I did because of the type of fixture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2024 08:15AM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 24, 2024 08:23AM
……reminds me of the Huey Lewis song……

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 24, 2024 09:11AM
I think I'd have just broken the bulb and gone after the base with needle nose pliers from the beginning. At least that's what I've done in the past (albeit inadvertantly). I think I also rubbed a bar of soap across the threads of the new bulb.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 24, 2024 10:55AM
Did you remember to use Loctite on the new bulb?
Posted by: gadje
Date: January 24, 2024 11:01AM
GGD
Did you remember to use Loctite on the new bulb?

smiley-laughing001
Date: January 24, 2024 11:13AM
wurm
I think I'd have just broken the bulb and gone after the base with needle nose pliers from the beginning. At least that's what I've done in the past (albeit inadvertantly). I think I also rubbed a bar of soap across the threads of the new bulb.

I was really trying to avoid that because of the location above the bathroom sink in a awkward position. Next time I will just take the fixture down right off the bat (if there is a next time).

And what RAM'd said about the rough feeling when putting in a new bulb was telling.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 26, 2024 06:29PM
needle-nose pliers shoved into the base of a broken bulb then held open to provide enough grip to unscrew the base has worked for me.

with the power to that socket turned off, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2024 06:29PM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020