Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Happy wife, happy life
Posted by: Drew
Date: January 26, 2024 11:43PM
Short version.
Dryer belt broke and drum wouldn't turn. Ordered a new belt, had a friend help me take the thing apart, replaced the belt, now it works. My wife is quite pleased.

More details.
We live in Japan, where clothes dryers aren't so common. Many still hang clothes outside or inside if necessary. Younger generation is moving to dryers. But they don't work as well as American ones, as they usually don't have a vent, so take forever it seems to do a small load.

I got a gas one from the US about 10 years ago, just before I met my wife. Got a gas guy to run a line to it. Had a carpenter friend set up a place for it in a storage area, with vent, etc. When we got married, my wife moved into current house where I was already living. She had first look at the dryer and wasn't so impressed. Japanese after all, so didn't buy into the idea. But in addition to marrying me, she became mother to my 3 teenage kids. Laundry was a major part of the deal and she quickly fell in love with the dryer. Told all her friends about this great novel invention.

It started making noise several months ago and I feared the worse. Sure enough, belt finally snapped a few weeks ago. Had to order the part from the States. My wife just knew that it would never work again and started making plans. But also knew that she could never get back the same convenience if we bought a dryer in Japan. Did not want to spend the big money to get another one shipped over. Meanwhile, has been hanging clothes on drying racks just like her mother and the majority of households around here.

My friend and I got it working this morning, and wife is ecstatic. Yep, happy wife means happy life.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Happy wife, happy life
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 27, 2024 12:04AM
smiley-score010

I like stories with happy endings!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 27, 2024 12:06AM
Great story, only thing I might have done different would have been to order two belts.

What's the make/model, since it's getting old, you might start running into other moving parts that will be wearing out. Often you can find packaged "rebuild kits" with all of the rollers, belts, pulleys etc and have everything you'll need to rejuvenate it on-hand so that when you open it up you can inspect the other parts and replace any that seem worn, or is starting to make noise/squeak/squeal. That's also a good time to clean out all of the internally accumulated lint.

Dryer's are very simple, and can usually be easily repaired and live forever.
Date: January 27, 2024 12:11AM
GGD
Great story, only thing I might have done different would have been to order two belts.

What's the make/model, since it's getting old, you might start running into other moving parts that will be wearing out. Often you can find packaged "rebuild kits" with all of the rollers, belts, pulleys etc and have everything you'll need to rejuvenate it on-hand so that when you open it up you can inspect the other parts and replace any that seem worn, or is starting to make noise/squeak/squeal. That's also a good time to clean out all of the internally accumulated lint.

It’s the electronics that are hard to get replaced easily.

Date: January 27, 2024 01:07AM
GGD

Good points! Did not order a second belt. Though did replace a couple of pulleys today that came with the kit. The dust was thick in various parts, so cleaned those as well. Aha! Found two socks, not matching, underneath the rear, and caked in dust and gunk.

Our biggest problems today were lack of space to maneuver the thing and remove panels. Thought about taking it outside of the room, but squeezed in to do the work. Another was trying to disconnect some of the wire connectors. Plastic clips you need to undo to move panels, etc. A couple of the plastic clips were really hard to pull apart. Had to pry with a screw driver, pull with pliers. Fortunately, they plugged right back in when done and the thing works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2024 01:13AM by Drew.
Date: January 27, 2024 01:21AM
I’m surprised you couldn’t source a belt locally. It must be a non-standard style, otherwise, within reason, a belt is a belt. Of course, if you hadn’t removed the old belt before ordering a new one, I can understand the decision because I would have made a similar one.

Yes, I’m aware of different ‘v’s, different widths, etc.

Posted by: GGD
Date: January 27, 2024 01:44AM
Sounds like you already got the "kit" and did much of what I was suggesting, that will keep it going for a good while.

Does seem true that socks escape in the laundry.

I recently fixed a "free" washer and dryer that our son-in-law acquired. Was told that the washer worked but matching dryer "needs a belt". The belt was actually in good condition but the idler pulley seized up and the belt wore a groove through the pulley wheel until it got wedged there and then the motor burned out. Fixed it for about $100 in parts.

Most of the time was spent vacuuming lint, recovered a few dollars in dimes and some pennies. No socks.
Date: January 27, 2024 02:51AM
Speedy
I’m surprised you couldn’t source a belt locally. It must be a non-standard style, otherwise, within reason, a belt is a belt. Of course, if you hadn’t removed the old belt before ordering a new one, I can understand the decision because I would have made a similar one.

Yes, I’m aware of different ‘v’s, different widths, etc.

Frankly, I didn't even think to look locally.

A recent laundry innovation in Japan is combination washer/dryer. After washing, the water drains and the dryer does its thing. Do they have those in the States?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 27, 2024 04:36AM
Actual footage of an unhappy spouse in Japan. wiggle smiley

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: January 27, 2024 05:40AM
pRICE cUBE
Actual footage of an unhappy spouse in Japan. wiggle smiley

"You didn't eat all of the rice in your bowl!"
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 27, 2024 05:43AM
Drew
A recent laundry innovation in Japan is combination washer/dryer. After washing, the water drains and the dryer does its thing. Do they have those in the States?

Yes, fairly recent introduction with LG being the major brand (though there are a few others). The cost is high, the capacity is low, and the speed is slow.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: gadje
Date: January 27, 2024 06:55AM
Yes we discussed the combo washer dryer a few months ago here on the forum.
Date: January 27, 2024 07:03AM
Ombligo
Yes, fairly recent introduction with LG being the major brand (though there are a few others). The cost is high, the capacity is low, and the speed is slow.

My wife and I aren't so impressed with them. But they make sense for the typically small house/apartment here that doesn't have extra space. Especially for a two-income couple, with no one staying home during the day to hang out laundry.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 27, 2024 11:55AM
Ombligo
Drew

Apparently common in Europe, just recently starting to be sold in the US. Saw a former display model in the local Home Depot a couple weeks ago, it was marked down for sale and was still over a couple thousand.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 27, 2024 12:29PM
Drew
After washing, the water drains and the dryer does its thing. Do they have those in the States?

Yes, my older sister has one. It's convenient but it doesn't do a really large load such as when I use all my sheet sets before washing them.

Posted by: davester
Date: January 28, 2024 08:07PM
The combo units are available but are not common. One thing to know about these is that they are mostly heat pump dryers, which, while very efficient, are slow. Also, the washer capacity on most of the combo units is generally higher than the dryer capacity which means that if you fill the washer then you need to pull half the clothes and put them in a basket while the dryer does its thing. Then you remove the dry clothes and transfer the wet clothes from the basket. Most people complaining about these units don't read the instructions and try to dry the entire load at once, which does take literally forever.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 29, 2024 07:20AM
So, now it will take 4 times as long, or longer, for one to do their laundry? No thanks.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 29, 2024 11:45AM
macphanatic
So, now it will take 4 times as long, or longer, for one to do their laundry? No thanks.

Depends on how much laundry and when you do it. Except for the price of one, it would work for me. Put in a load at night, would be dry in the morning. Same thing for people working, put a load in before going to work, would be dry when you get back.
Date: January 29, 2024 03:57PM
macphanatic

In Japan, there's often no space for a dryer. So, it's good for families where everyone goes to work in the morning and no one is around to do laundry during the day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020