advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any professional coders here?
Posted by: gadje
Date: January 27, 2024 05:16PM
I'm just curios how many lines of code can one average programmer write per day (normal 8 hours).

I guess it varies a lot if this is C, C++, JAVA, Python, etc so please specify which language you use.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any professional coders here?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 27, 2024 05:25PM
I'm sure you have a good reason for asking this question and yet I can't image what it is.

Lines of code isn't a meaningful measure of productivity. Could even be negatively correlated.

Date: January 27, 2024 05:42PM
yes, I can't go into details. and I know it is not related to productivity.
Posted by: raz
Date: January 27, 2024 06:04PM
40 years ago, the rule of thumb was 6. That included design, implementation, documentation, debugging, and maintenance. That was independent of language.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 27, 2024 06:12PM
mattkime
I'm sure you have a good reason for asking this question and yet I can't image what it is.

Lines of code isn't a meaningful measure of productivity. Could even be negatively correlated.

Early in my career some management person asked about how many lines of code I was writing per day, and I told them it was a negative number. I was working on optimizing some existing software and was reworking a lot of stuff to make it smaller.

And I used to refer to software produced by programmers that would brag about how many lines they wrote as "programming by the pound".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2024 06:16PM by GGD.
Date: January 27, 2024 06:13PM
Love that response, LOL
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 27, 2024 06:15PM
Documentation is a myth.

Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: January 27, 2024 08:22PM
I wrote about 900 lines of Assembly code in one summer job back in the wayback. It did a lot of things and yes, it was written so as to take up as little memory as possible, considering that we had 4000 words total. It's interesting what you could do with that small amount in those days before the GUI. Didn't even have a screen, just that weird yellow teletype machine and paper tape.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 28, 2024 12:46AM
What GGD said.
Optmztn is key.

Back in the day when I was presented w/ problem, I took as long as it took to analyze it, and determine if I thought I was capable of solving it. If so, and I took the project on, the next step was a proof of concept solution; write as much code as it took to solve the problem--- regardless of the efficiency of that code.

Next came going back and optimizing the code, which meant on those days/weeks, writing code was rewriting it to be smaller and more efficient; hence GGD's negative number of lines of code being a good thing. Us older folk were brought up when smaller and more most efficient was best. Before bloatware.

Ca Bob is spot on about maximizing the use of limited resources. Before bloatware.

Documentation is found in an Easter egg made by Santa's elves delivered by a Leprechaun riding a unicorn, to paraphrase mattkime.....
because clients never, ever, ever want to pay for documentation.

cool smiley
==
Posted by: chopper
Date: January 28, 2024 07:04AM
It's probably going t be more relevant as time goes on but how many lines of code can chat GPT write?
Posted by: August West
Date: January 28, 2024 09:27AM

Documentation is a myth.

ftw smiley

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: Michael
Date: January 28, 2024 02:41PM
Buzz
What GGD said.
Optmztn is key.

Back in the day when I was presented w/ problem, I took as long as it took to analyze it, and determine if I thought I was capable of solving it. If so, and I took the project on, the next step was a proof of concept solution; write as much code as it took to solve the problem--- regardless of the efficiency of that code.

Next came going back and optimizing the code, which meant on those days/weeks, writing code was rewriting it to be smaller and more efficient; hence GGD's negative number of lines of code being a good thing. Us older folk were brought up when smaller and more most efficient was best. Before bloatware.

Ca Bob is spot on about maximizing the use of limited resources. Before bloatware.

Documentation is found in an Easter egg made by Santa's elves delivered by a Leprechaun riding a unicorn, to paraphrase mattkime.....
because clients never, ever, ever want to pay for documentation.

cool smiley
==

My wife started the central office computerization of a 12,000 student school system back in 1981. She was hired to do it and got to the school system right before their PDP 11 showed up. She wrote code like crazy and was at the office nights and weekends. A number of times I'd hear her mumbling in the night and then she'd get up and go to the office to do something. She got them up and going. And after the whole thing was working she then spent a lot of time rewriting her code to make it better and more efficient. I never really got why--I figured if it runs it runs. However, I was smart enough to know that she knew this stuff and I didn't and she wasn't just spinning her wheels.

I did get the sense of it when she wrote a program for me that replaced a non 32-bit clean specialty program written by a college professor to run my data on Macs. For years I would start that program and could literally watch it run. I was collecting 50 data sets per week and taking hours a week just watching the Mac run the analyses after I collected the data. After years of that my wife asked me if I'd like her to rewrite the analysis program and make it faster. She asked me a bunch of questions about just how I was collecting data and the data structure. Then she wrote the program. It ran and the weekly analysis happened in the blink of an eye rather than hours. I don't know how she did it and I tested a couple thousand different files to be sure the data output was the same as with the original program. But the value of writing efficient code was made very clear to me the day she gave me the new program.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020