advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
UPSes are working hard today
Posted by: hal
Date: February 04, 2024 06:16PM
We're having a violent windstorm right now. 28-48mph winds so says the Meteorologist app. A tree was blocking my main route out of the neighborhood when I went shopping. This is just Sacramento - the coast and the mountains are getting POUNDED.

There have been at least 8 5 second blackouts.

Months ago I updated my UPS set up. It looks like everything important has a ups backup. My mac mini w 2 monitors, a 5 bay USBC case, one other USB drive, ATT router and an OWC dock are all backed up. Only the laser printer is not - I've shut it down.

Also, my TV and another mac mini connected to it are now fully set as well. That's new this season.

In the mean time, my laptop and phone arre all charged up. I've got my Jackery power thingy charging now.

oooh... lightning... gotta go outside!!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: UPSes are working hard today
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 04, 2024 07:00PM
Bread. Buy all the bread and water you can get.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 04, 2024 07:05PM
Here's the link to the PG&E outage map for those watching from home.

[pgealerts.alerts.pge.com]
Posted by: pqrst
Date: February 04, 2024 08:07PM
Whereabouts are you located? I’m in SoCal and not had any troubles for five years. The only time was a transformer failure on the street which is different kind of problem. Hoping your area gets back to normal soon.
Date: February 04, 2024 08:40PM
Hal is in the Sacramento area, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 04, 2024 09:10PM
It’s interesting how people’s power issues vary across the country. I’m in a relatively upscale neighborhood in Arkansas with underground utilities. In the 25 years we’ve lived here, never had power issues practically speaking. At most power goes once a year for a second or so, requiring us to reset clocks. Never lost a piece of equipment because of it (the important stuff is on conventional, but name brand, surge strips). We’re lucky.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 04, 2024 09:32PM
This particular part of town has old infrastructure. We used to have regular outages. The last time there was a major storm like this, power was out for 40 hours, but came back new and improved. We haven't had a serious outage since. BUT the power is still above ground and there are lots of trees getting bashed about.

my elect utility's (SMUD) outage mage web page crashed - been down all day
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: February 04, 2024 10:18PM
Speedy

And don’t forget toilet paper

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: timg
Date: February 05, 2024 12:03AM
We are also in the SF bay area. Very happy with our battery purchase with the solar panel install.

lost power today for around 5 hours, but battery kicked in for the essentials. only issue was Xfinity went down about halfway through the outage (and is still out now).

luckily there's still tethering to the cell phone. smiling smiley

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Date: February 05, 2024 01:31AM
timg
We are also in the SF bay area. Very happy with our battery purchase with the solar panel install.

lost power today for around 5 hours, but battery kicked in for the essentials. only issue was Xfinity went down about halfway through the outage (and is still out now).

luckily there's still tethering to the cell phone. smiling smiley

For me Xfinity seems to have some equipment in a neighboring area that's on a different segment of PG&E's grid from mine, so when that area loses power, about 3 hours late when Comcast's backup batteries run out, I lose internet/TV.

So, even though I didn't lose power, that neighboring segment of PG&E's grid did lose power around 2PM and I lost internet around 5:30PM. This is a common problem for me, and I always monitor PG&E's status for that area to guess when I'll get internet back.

I've got my DD-WRT router switched to iPhone tethering and have the entire house running off of a first generation iPhone SE with a Tello SIM.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 05, 2024 09:11AM
from friend in SF bay area:

Well, we lost electricity for awhile, but it's back --- for now. More weather coming.

We had a brief break in the rain, so we went for brisk walk. The wind was so fierce it was difficult at times to keep my balance. And the noise! The trees were so loud. We went over to the cliff but didn't walk along the edge. Too scary. When we got home the power went out.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 05, 2024 10:46AM
Speedy

You forgot the milk and eggs! How can you make french toast without them?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 05, 2024 02:36PM
Also in the SF Bay Area, I lost power for about 5s Saturday morning.

I had to run DiskWarrior on my all my external drives, but all is well, otherwise.

More rain that usually, but really not by much.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020