Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
sideshow busts - over 100 arrested - 88 cars towed
Posted by: hal
Date: February 09, 2024 04:36PM
[www.youtube.com]

Somehow, Stockton police surrounded a HUGE sideshow, arrested everyone and towed their cars.

Witness said there were tow trucks 'as far as the eye could see' and 'they don't do that in Oakland'

I love the chief talking to those who are contacting police to get their cars back - not happening any time soon.

:-)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: sideshow busts - over 100 arrested - 88 cars towed
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 09, 2024 04:59PM
What's a "sideshow"?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 09, 2024 04:59PM
I'd generally support an effort to calm the neighborhood, but this seems overly punitive, and only benefits the tow companies who will charge hundreds or thousands in storage fees per car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2024 05:00PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 09, 2024 05:34PM
freeradical
What's a "sideshow"?

Residential streets blocked off, sometimes big intersections, even sections of freeway, where the sideshow is cars cutting donuts and leaving rubber on the road. Dangerous for the crowd of spectators when the inevitable happens and a car spins out of control.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 09, 2024 05:39PM
mrbigstuff
I'd generally support an effort to calm the neighborhood, but this seems overly punitive, and only benefits the tow companies who will charge hundreds or thousands in storage fees per car.

It benefits all road users who prefer travel over donut shows.

Its pretty clear there are some people who are trying to live out their Fast and Furious fantasies on the public roadways.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 09, 2024 05:40PM
mrbigstuff

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. At least for the participants. If they're also holding the cars of the spectators, that might be overly punitive, but, then again, they may not know who participated before they got there and who was going to participate afterwards, so maybe they did take every car. But they might also be doing this to set an example to discourage future participants, which frankly, is fine by me also.

The overly punitive part to me is that some of these cars will likely be destroyed. Seems like a waste of a car, but then again, a lot of these cars may be modified so that they aren't entirely street legal and it's probably easier to destroy them than to bring them back to spec to auction off.
Date: February 09, 2024 05:55PM
Gareth
mrbigstuff

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. At least for the participants. If they're also holding the cars of the spectators, that might be overly punitive, but, then again, they may not know who participated before they got there and who was going to participate afterwards, so maybe they did take every car. But they might also be doing this to set an example to discourage future participants, which frankly, is fine by me also.

The overly punitive part to me is that some of these cars will likely be destroyed. Seems like a waste of a car, but then again, a lot of these cars may be modified so that they aren't entirely street legal and it's probably easier to destroy them than to bring them back to spec to auction off.

But were they caught and arrested and their vehicles seized for actively breaking a law - or just gathering while a few may have been breaking a law? And the spectators are lumped in? BS.

And I wonder how many jacked up pickups are seized in that city? Or, is there a difference?

Hurts like a bastid...
Date: February 09, 2024 06:06PM
mrbigstuff
But were they caught and arrested and their vehicles seized for actively breaking a law - or just gathering while a few may have been breaking a law? And the spectators are lumped in? BS.

And I wonder how many jacked up pickups are seized in that city? Or, is there a difference?

I don't know what specific laws they may be using, but spectators are definitely part of the problem. These aren't people that just "happened" to be there. They are knowingly there to watch an illegal activity.

Jacked up pickups aren't necessarily breaking any laws by just being "jacked up" so why would they get seized?
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 09, 2024 06:07PM
They can keep my car. It was in my baby mama's name anyway.
Date: February 09, 2024 06:11PM
Gareth
mrbigstuff

I don't know what specific laws they may be using, but spectators are definitely part of the problem. These aren't people that just "happened" to be there. They are knowingly there to watch an illegal activity.

Jacked up pickups aren't necessarily breaking any laws by just being "jacked up" so why would they get seized?

You just wrote that the cars they seized may be modified so that they are possibly not street legal and you don't know why they wouldn't seize jacked up pickups?

Hurts like a bastid...
Date: February 09, 2024 06:14PM
mrbigstuff - why are you defending these idiots?

This is DANGEROUS activity that needs to be stopped. Most every police district has been unable to do anything about them.

In the video (did you watch it) neighbors said that their cars that were mixed in with the badguys were not taken.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 09, 2024 06:17PM
I see sideshows all the time. I'm always wondering about their tire budgets.
Date: February 09, 2024 06:19PM
I did watch the video. But under what law do you arrest someone for thinking about breaking a law? Sure, speeding and doughnuts in the roadway are illegal and arrestable offenses if reckless. But what else? Because they don't like the look of these people? If their cars are too loud, too out of spec, they should get citations. What are the causes for arrest and impounded vehicles?

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 09, 2024 06:23PM
The bigger question here....were any of the towed cars EV's?

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: February 09, 2024 06:23PM
mrbigstuff
You just wrote that the cars they seized may be modified so that they are possibly not street legal and you don't know why they wouldn't seize jacked up pickups?

The "sideshow" cars may have modified emissions. CA is big on emissions compliance.

Lift kits on their own are not illegal, so it depends on what you mean by "jacked up". Although CA has a 5" lift limit, so a "jacked up" pickup probably exceeds that, but again, depends on your definition.
Date: February 09, 2024 06:28PM
mrbigstuff
What are the causes for arrest and impounded vehicles?

Think of it like participating in some other illegal activity, i.e. dogfighting.

If there was a raid on a dogfight, should all the spectators be let go? Or should they also be arrested?

[www.laattorney.com].

According to California Penal Code 597.5, any of the following are subject to criminal prosecution:
Being a spectator or knowingly present at any place where preparations are being made for a dogfight.
Date: February 09, 2024 06:31PM
And here's the law in regards to sideshows:
[library.qcode.us]

10.56.030 Spectator at illegal speed contest, sideshow, motorcycle stunting event, or exhibitions of speed—Violation.
A. Any individual who is knowingly present as a spectator, either on a public street or highway or on private property open to the general public without the consent of the owner, operator, or agent thereof, at an illegal motor vehicle speed contest or illegal exhibition of speed is guilty of a misdemeanor subject to a maximum of six (6) months in jail and a fine of $1,000.00.

B. Any individual who is knowingly present as a spectator, either on a public street or highway, or on private property open to the general public without the consent of the owner, operator, or agent thereof, where preparations are being made for an illegal motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a maximum of six (6) months in jail and a fine of $1,000.00.

C. Any individual who is present at the illegal motor vehicle speed contest, sideshow, and motorcycle stunting, or exhibition of speed if that individual is within 200 feet of the location of the event, or within 200 feet of the locations where preparations are being made for the event, is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a maximum of six (6) months in jail and a fine of $1,000.00.

D. Exemption. Nothing in this section prohibits law enforcement officers or their agents from being spectators at illegal motor vehicle speed contests, sideshows, motorcycle stunting, reckless driving, or exhibitions of speed in the course of their official duties. (Ord. 015-06 C.S. § 1; prior code § 10-432)
Date: February 09, 2024 06:32PM
mrbigstuff
I did watch the video. But under what law do you arrest someone for thinking about breaking a law? Sure, speeding and doughnuts in the roadway are illegal and arrestable offenses if reckless. But what else?

They completely block traffic for one thing. If you stop a car in the middle of an intersection, eventually someone is going to check and see if you're ok. If 100 cars do it - it's mayhem. If they start spinning out and driving in circles, they crash into things.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 09, 2024 06:33PM
Remember when Business 80 near McKinley Park was shut down by people blocking the freeway after the State Fair let out? Cars doing burnouts.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 09, 2024 06:55PM
Gareth
And here's the law in regards to sideshows:
[library.qcode.us]

10.56.030 Spectator at illegal speed contest, sideshow, motorcycle stunting event, or exhibitions of speed—Violation.
A. Any individual who is knowingly present as a spectator, either on a public street or highway or on private property open to the general public without the consent of the owner, operator, or agent thereof, at an illegal motor vehicle speed contest or illegal exhibition of speed is guilty of a misdemeanor subject to a maximum of six (6) months in jail and a fine of $1,000.00.

B. Any individual who is knowingly present as a spectator, either on a public street or highway, or on private property open to the general public without the consent of the owner, operator, or agent thereof, where preparations are being made for an illegal motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a maximum of six (6) months in jail and a fine of $1,000.00.

C. Any individual who is present at the illegal motor vehicle speed contest, sideshow, and motorcycle stunting, or exhibition of speed if that individual is within 200 feet of the location of the event, or within 200 feet of the locations where preparations are being made for the event, is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a maximum of six (6) months in jail and a fine of $1,000.00.

D. Exemption. Nothing in this section prohibits law enforcement officers or their agents from being spectators at illegal motor vehicle speed contests, sideshows, motorcycle stunting, reckless driving, or exhibitions of speed in the course of their official duties. (Ord. 015-06 C.S. § 1; prior code § 10-432)

Ok, well that spells it out, thanks for the cite. Still, I think it will hinge on intent and the definitions therein.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 09, 2024 08:08PM
Dang! That's cool. Portland, OR please take note!
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 09, 2024 08:17PM
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 09, 2024 08:36PM

You'll never take me, coppers!

(rt click- full image in new tab)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 09, 2024 08:47PM
This pleases me and shows the exactly correct way to deal with this sort of unsafe stupidity.

Next up, please go after the gangs of urban youth who take over streets with their motorcycles and UTV’s.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 09, 2024 08:54PM
Somehow, Stockton police surrounded a HUGE sideshow

Out my way, the CHP and ACSO work with OPD to corral, arrest, and tow people and cars as appropriate, and yes — they do this in Oakland.

Larger sideshows are usually done on weekends on someone's commercial property after hours, involving hundreds of people as participants and spectators.

I think it will hinge on intent and the definitions therein.

Ya think?

That's how laws, cops, and lawyers work, most of the time.

If you're there as a spectator or participant, you've established in intent.

Catching participants who do this while blocking intersections, highways, and bridges is much more difficult.

Participating or spectating, is the PC for arrest.

Citing for other violations as well, are perks.

One more common modification is the James Bond license plate mod.

Ok, not truly Bond, more like Bond-ish where the plate is hidden with a push of a button, for obvious reasons.

I'd like to see 'car jail' extended from 30 to 45 days.

Cry me a river.

If you or your car can't do the time...

[abc7news.com]
[abc7news.com]
[www.ktvu.com]
[www.mercurynews.com]

It's not just fun and games, and there is no entitlement here.

Jack 'em all up, hook 'em all up.

There are also a lot of cite and release arrests, just not enough arrests altogether.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2024 08:54PM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 09, 2024 10:11PM
mrbigstuff

There are no good guys here!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2024 10:12PM by Rolando.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 10, 2024 07:21AM
Most Drag Race events have a burn out contest held in a large area surrounded by those 3 foot concrete barriers.
Vice Grip Garage We ALMOST won 2.4hrs of LeMullets + Chevelle's FINAL Burnout!

Side shows need to be downsized by enforcement of Laws that already exist. I say downsized because it will still happen here and there. But these EVENTs are dangerous to people and property.

Heck, we had burnouts in the school parking lot before and after school just because we could. No one was arrested but detention hall would be given generously.

Couple of cars here or there at night but no crowds, obstruction of traffic, planned events.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 10, 2024 08:06AM
yep, changed the law here as well so everybody's vehicle gets seized.

both participants & spectators.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 11, 2024 09:31AM
Hi everyone,

This brings to mind the nonsense where criminals on motorcycles have take over a sections of local streets _and_ highways_ to perform stunts. Happens all too often and, in some cases, the consequences to spectators __and_ those involved in the stunts become disastrous.

One of the most infamous incidents took place on September 29, 2013 involving a group called Hollywood Stuntz. The end result of their nonsense and criminal activities? Gang assult. You can read about it on this wikipedia page:

[en.wikipedia.org]

I hope the laws in place in CA (per the link from Gareth) become commonplace all over the country. Sideshows, stunt riding on local streets and highways and other such nonsense needs to be kaiboshed and done so in a manner with harsh penalties.

I doubt sideshows like the one in this thread as well as the stunt riding type nonsense will ever go away completely. Maybe ensuring those involved face serious consequences will result in a smaller audience and fewer incidents.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2024 09:33AM by Robert M.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 11, 2024 09:35AM
cbelt3
This pleases me and shows the exactly correct way to deal with this sort of unsafe stupidity.

Next up, please go after the gangs of urban youth who take over streets with their motorcycles and UTV’s.

YES!!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 11, 2024 01:43PM
Robert M
One of the most infamous incidents took place on September 29, 2013 involving a group called Hollywood Stuntz. The end result of their nonsense and criminal activities? Gang assult. You can read about it on this wikipedia page:

[en.wikipedia.org]

My gut reaction to this topic was "...and to make it worse, there's probably police officers as part of the group!" and then I realized I wasn't sure why I thought this. This story is a big part of it, but it always makes you scratch your head when the NYPD always claims to be helpless in the face of blatant law breaking. Often, its because officers are involved.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020