advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Timemachine alternative for incremental backups
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 11, 2024 03:27PM
I have been using Time Machine for years for my incremental backups but over the last year it has become unreliable. It is terribly slow and sometimes fails to restore files. So I'm looking for another solution that offers reliable incremental backups like Time Machine. Suggestions? Backing up to a disk or the cloud is fine as long as it's reasonably easy and fast to restore.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2024 03:28PM by davemchine.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Timemachine alternative for incremental backups
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 11, 2024 03:46PM
CCC and/or iDrive working for me and a couple clients.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 11, 2024 03:49PM
If you are on Monterey or later, then Carbon Copy Cloner is likely your best bet.

[bombich.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 11, 2024 03:52PM
How about Carbon Copy Cloner Snapshots?

Maybe someone with more experience could chime in with more info, but as long as your boot drive and backup drive are formatted as APFS, you can have CCC save Snapshots at the intervals you choose. Then you can easily mount any Snapshot volume and access the files just as they were at that point in time.

[bombich.com]
Date: February 11, 2024 04:27PM
I already own CCC so this sounds like an economical solution! Normally I select a source and a destination and run once to make an offsite backup. To use CCC for incremental backups do I somehow need to specific that?

[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 11, 2024 04:33PM
Have you restarted your TimeMachine backup? Sometimes starting over can fix things

Posted by: davester
Date: February 11, 2024 05:35PM
Can someone explain what the issue is with Time Machine? I have never had any problems with it and it seems to me like the most straightforward solution. I typically have two duplicate onsite TM hard drives and one large TM SSD for offsite backup. The offsite backup used to be located at work and got exchanged every few weeks with an SSD at home. However, now that I'm retired, the offsite backup rides around in the car. I could probably improve on the offsite situation, although most of my important data files are also in iCloud so I'm pretty safe.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 11, 2024 05:52PM
davester
Can someone explain what the issue is with Time Machine?

Not really? I have deal with this but it was always resolved by resetting my backup. Of course, that means a long slow backup process. I can see that being an issue for a lot of people - I hook my machine up to ethernet but I could see that being a barrier for a lot of people.

One of the downsides of software that "just works" is that its difficult to troubleshoot when it doesn't.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 11, 2024 07:21PM
Sounds like it’s time to purchase a new backup drive
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 12, 2024 12:22AM
davemchine
I already own CCC so this sounds like an economical solution! Normally I select a source and a destination and run once to make an offsite backup. To use CCC for incremental backups do I somehow need to specific that?

Start with this link and watch the YouTube video at the very top:

[bombich.com]

The frequency is defined in the settings and is based on your CCC backup schedule. Assuming your volumes are APFS, when you click on Volumes in the sidebar and then click the Data volume on your startup disk, you will see a list of the Snapshots—both CCC and Apple Time Machine.

These Snapshots can take up a hefty amount of space, and this is something people sometimes freak out about when they can't figure out what is hogging up space on their boot drive. But if you have the room to spare, this safety net can come in handy in an emergency.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 12, 2024 06:31AM
Also depends on which chip you are using? Maybe? It is my understanding that with an M chip, your only option is Time Machine ( due to security chip?). Has CCC worked around that?

Edit: IIRC, CCC will still work for data only. Bootable backups are Time Machine only for the M series chips. I’m gonna do a dive on CCC page right now.

Edit 2: here ya go. [forums.macrumors.com]

Mike Boreham gives a good explanation. You can do a bootable backup with CCC, but it’s clunky and will have to be wiped and redone with every OS update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2024 06:42AM by Spiff.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 12, 2024 08:21AM
TM does not produce a bootable backup on Apple or Intel chips.
Date: February 12, 2024 08:32AM
I've read the link and watched the video. Thank you for that. I didn't understand all of it though! I have two questions,

1) How often should I schedule CCC to perform a backup? After the initial backup the second backup took about 30 minutes. Once a day?

2) Are the snapshots located on the startup disk and copied to the backup disk by CCC? So If I run CCC once a day do those snapshots remain on the startup disk until that time?

[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 12, 2024 09:21AM
I use SuperDuper! for a nightly backup/bootable clone of my internal drive. It does incremental backups, i.e. copies any changes since last backup, but AFAIK does not save previous iterations like TM does.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2024 09:21AM by mrlynn.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 12, 2024 11:34AM
PeterW
TM does not produce a bootable backup on Apple or Intel chips.

I sit corrected! Yikes! It will create a bootable volume with restoration, but the Time machine disc itself is not bootable.
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 12, 2024 11:55AM
mrlynn
I use SuperDuper! for a nightly backup/bootable clone of my internal drive. It does incremental backups, i.e. copies any changes since last backup, but AFAIK does not save previous iterations like TM does.

So are these SuperDuper clones bootable on M1 Macs? This is my area of confusion.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 12, 2024 03:07PM
Janit
mrlynn

So are these SuperDuper clones bootable on M1 Macs? This is my area of confusion.

Didn't know, so I went to the website, which says yes:

Version 3.8 supports bootable backups for Sonoma, Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, is Apple silicon native . . .

[shirt-pocket.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 12, 2024 07:00PM
I have one M1 MBA that just doesn't work properly with TM - not even a new external drive.

I posted about it earlier, thinking it was my older Time Capsule.

Looks like I need to do a fresh OS install, but that will wait.

Until then, it's CCC and iCloud.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 190
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020