advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cyclists - Do those puncture resistant tires work well?
Posted by: steve...
Date: February 11, 2024 07:53PM
I had my 3rd flat in my last four rides and patching them is getting old. I thought maybe there was a glass shred stuck in the tire but I’ve been careful to keep the tube oriented in the same way with the tire and each flat was in a different location on the tube. They’re regular 700c road tires & tubes at 80/85 psi and my usual route is on city streets/country roads. Have a recommendation?

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cyclists - Do those puncture resistant tires work well?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 11, 2024 08:15PM
What tires are you running? Make / model / size.

---

I think its reasonable to say that puncture proof tires work well BUT there are tradeoffs AND puncture proof tires will still get flats, just fewer. Years ago I commuted through industrial Brooklyn and Queens and suffered a lot of flats. At first I ran extra thick tubes and tire liners. Thicker tires, tubes, and tire liners will add rolling resistance which makes your bike slower.

I found Conti Grand Prix 4000s worked well for me, good puncture resistance and low rolling resistance. (Since replaced by the 5000 series)

The trend in road cycling has been to use tubeless tires with sealant. It comes with a learning curve that you need to be willing to go through but its more reliable once you're in tune with your setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2024 08:33PM by mattkime.
Date: February 11, 2024 08:29PM
This one has been having the flats. I’ve been using it for nearly 2 years without any issues.

Kenda Tires Kwest Commuter/Urban/Hybrid Bicycle Tire - 700 x 35c, Black

Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 11, 2024 08:37PM
I'd recommend conti gatorskins if you want a long life, puncture resistant tire - [www.rei.com] better price - [www.biketiresdirect.com]

Its hard to say what will solve your problem without knowing the exact cause.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2024 08:44PM by mattkime.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 11, 2024 08:49PM
Hmmm. Flats do come in threes you know. Perhaps your flat karma came due this month. You've had 3 flats but you didn't identify the cause of the flat? That's unusual. Could there perhaps be a loose bit of nastiness floating around in the tire or tube? Almost always you will find a staple, piece of glass, goathead thorn, or the like embedded in the tire at the flat location Oftentimes its quite difficult of find the offending puncture causer which might be embedded below the tread, but it's almost always there and ready to sting you a second (and third) time if you don't dig it out. I never put a tire back on before I've found and eliminated the cause.

That said, perhaps you're having pinch flats or flats caused by spoke heads poking through the rim strip.Those are easy to identify because they are on the side of the tube away from the tread.

You need to do some detective work to figure out what is causing your flats before you go seeking solutions. There are very few instances where I've been unable to put my finger on the cause of the flat. That said, Kenda tires in general are cheaply made tires and often give you the worst possible worlds of high rolling resistance and low flat resistance.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2024 08:50PM by davester.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 11, 2024 09:20PM
steve...
This one has been having the flats. I’ve been using it for nearly 2 years without any issues.

Kenda Tires Kwest Commuter/Urban/Hybrid Bicycle Tire - 700 x 35c, Black

I ride to work every day... will only use tires with positive tread (i.e. knobby) as your little grooves will give purchase to glass/metal shards/whatever and allow it to grind down in. Also don't know where you are but wet pavement (wet tires) will have the same effect. When I start getting the F things, time to retire the tire.
Posted by: raz
Date: February 11, 2024 09:46PM
We run gatorskins as well. Flats are rare, though the wife had about 4 in a row. Turned out a glass sliver got wedged in the tire. We had to completely remove it and flex to find the damn thing.

Beyond that, almost trouble free.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 12, 2024 07:39AM
I'm a big fan of Slime tubes, which self-seal small punctures. More than once I've been out riding far from home and flatted, but just stopped and pulled out the offending tack or whatever and pumped the tire back up with my little lightweight portable pump, enough to get to a gas station with a working inflator. No patching needed; then or later.
Posted by: rasmac
Date: February 12, 2024 08:46AM
ditto on the gatorskins.
have them on my road bike.
have vittoria randonneurs on my commuter.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 12, 2024 08:53AM
My thoughts were similar to davester. Figure out where the puncture was. Verify both the tube and tire location. The tube could have been twisted and it's actually a pinched sidewall from hitting a pothole/curb/rock. Just rotating the tire won't guarantee a fix. Look at all your spokes to make sure one isn't sticking through the nipple inside the rim.

The cheapest solution for me was something like this.

I was getting holes from a wildland plant that kind of sheds thorns/caltrops along Sacramento bike trails. I also upped the tire pressure to help prevent sidewall pinches. This liner brand is Mr. Tuffy, I'm pretty sure it was a different name 16 years ago, it was orange and black. Most of these on Bez-azon are $14 or more.

It increases rotational inertia more than a new flat resistant tire but that's the price to pay for cheap.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 12, 2024 11:35AM
Thanks all for your tire suggestions. The gatorskins sound good and I had considered the knobby types in the past - there are lots of off road choices in my area which I could use.

The flats have been all on the outer side of the tube, facing the asphalt. I was careful to remount the tire and tube in the same orientation to each other and each puncture was in a new location. I tried to find what caused each but didn't see or feel what that caused them. I have noticed more broken glass on my 10 mile route.

I'm not a hard core cyclist but try to ride for exercise and recreation 3-4 times a week, when the weather cooperates.

Posted by: davester
Date: February 12, 2024 11:47AM
steve...
Thanks all for your tire suggestions. The gatorskins sound good and I had considered the knobby types in the past - there are lots of off road choices in my area which I could use.

Note that knobbies are only useful for riding through mud or loose sand. Otherwise they are a liability due to high rolling resistance, weight, poor cornering, and because the areas between the knobs are generally very thin and therefore much more susceptible to flats than a relatively smooth-tread tire.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 12, 2024 12:45PM
steve...

The flats have been all on the outer side of the tube, facing the asphalt. I was careful to remount the tire and tube in the same orientation to each other and each puncture was in a new location. I tried to find what caused each but didn't see or feel what that caused them. I have noticed more broken glass on my 10 mile route.

I'm not a hard core cyclist but try to ride for exercise and recreation 3-4 times a week, when the weather cooperates.
I looked at options for you in 700/35 range with knobs but couldn't find anything that didn't have small gaps that can grab glass. I run only Michelin Country Mud on all my bikes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2024 12:45PM by Black.
Date: February 12, 2024 12:48PM
davester
steve...

Note that knobbies are only useful for riding through mud or loose sand. Otherwise they are a liability due to high rolling resistance, weight, poor cornering, and because the areas between the knobs are generally very thin and therefore much more susceptible to flats than a relatively smooth-tread tire.
Strongly disagree. They are fine for city riding and the best option by far if you live in a place where seas of broken glass are unavoidable.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 12, 2024 02:57PM
The first generation of mountain bike knobbies were indeed a problem, sacrificing rolling resistance for grip. I struggled across Wisconsin's Elroy-Sparta trail with my first mountain bike in 1991, wishing for my road bike instead. But then someone had the bright idea to put a solid ridge down the centerline, which lowers rolling resistance considerably. When you lean off horizontal, the higher traction knobs take over.
Date: February 12, 2024 09:04PM
Black
steve...

I looked at options for you in 700/35 range with knobs but couldn't find anything that didn't have small gaps that can grab glass. I run only Michelin Country Mud on all my bikes.
Here's one with a tread style that will shed rather than grab glass. [www.ebay.com] Mild chance there might not be clearance for something like this if it's a road rather than touring or cross frame.
Posted by: kj
Date: February 13, 2024 03:09PM
I think Black is 100% correct. I've tried everything and by far the most puncture resistant tires I have ever had are the Maxxis High Roller II, EXO MaxxPro, 27.5" x 2.4 on my mountain bike. No sealant, just regular tubes and no flats since 2018. I ride through downtown every time I mountain bike, so it's my most used bike. All my other bikes have different combos of tubeless, puncture resistant, etc., and they've all had flats, despite many fewer miles. I will give a nod to Davester and say they don't roll great, but if you stay around 12mph, I don't think it makes much difference.

Glass, goatheads, etc. around here. I've even hit a couple razorblades, though nothing would have lived through those, but I think the roads are challenging. * Note, I think it's very hard to assess resistance to flats. Black rides ridiculous amounts on tough roads, so I think he's got an edge.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 168
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020