advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
49ers players didn't know about playoff OT rules
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 12, 2024 11:08AM
What we have here is a failure to communicate.

[www.espn.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 49ers players didn't know about playoff OT rules
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 12, 2024 11:13AM
Sorry, but these guys get paid way too much money not to know this stuff.

Regardless of whether they knew the opposing team would have an opportunity to possess the ball and score, the 49ers didn't get a touchdown, and I thought even regular season NFL OT previously allowed a chance to come back if it was just a field goal.

Mind you, that may be the crux of the issue - too many rule changes on stuff like this over the years.

g=
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 12, 2024 11:23AM
49er players were probably told but they were not paying attention in the meeting where this was discussed.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 12, 2024 11:32AM
gabester

Regardless of whether they knew the opposing team would have an opportunity to possess the ball and score, the 49ers didn't get a touchdown, and I thought even regular season NFL OT previously allowed a chance to come back if it was just a field goal.

Mind you, that may be the crux of the issue - too many rule changes on stuff like this over the years.

I think the main point of having proper knowledge, clearly favors going second; so that even if the team that gets the ball first scores a TD, the second team knows that they HAVE to use all four downs each series to keep getting first downs until they also score a tying TD.

If the team that gets the ball first only gets a field goal, the second team has a clear tactical advantage.
Hence, if you win the coin flip, ya ought take the tactical advantage of electing to kickoff.

Agreed on the too many rules changes, but that's the coaches' job to stay abreast of that stuff.
They should've told the captains what to do for the coin flip.....

cool smiley
==
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 12, 2024 12:03PM
With qualifying for 8 Super Bowls, and winning 5, the San Francisco fans need not be too sad.

However, Lions fans can be truly bummed.

"They are the only franchise operational for the entirety of the Super Bowl era to not appear in the Super Bowl."
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 12, 2024 12:07PM
DeusxMac
With qualifying for 8 Super Bowls, and winning 5, the San Francisco fans need not be too sad.

"They are the only franchise operational for the entirety of the Super Bowl era to not appear in the Super Bowl."

The important thing for the Lions fans to understand is that their team is, for the probably near future, relevant. The more times they contend and make the playoffs the more chances they'll have to punch through. They have a great young QB, great receivers, front line, linebackers, and secondary. They have great coaching.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 12, 2024 12:12PM
vision63
DeusxMac

The important thing for the Lions fans to understand is that their team is, for the probably near future, relevant. The more times they contend and make the playoffs the more chances they'll have to punch through. They have a great young QB, great receivers, front line, linebackers, and secondary. They have great coaching.

Those draft choices have to pay off eventually.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: February 12, 2024 12:36PM
I was watching cbs and I was a little confused by one of the commentators staying this was just the first quarter of overtime a couple of times. And this was as the last 15 seconds. I got the impression that there was still at least another “quarter” to go. Didn’t help that they said that this was the first Super Bowl OT since some new rules. But didn’t explain what the new rules were.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 12, 2024 12:36PM
Buzz
gabester

I think the main point of having proper knowledge, clearly favors going second; so that even if the team that gets the ball first scores a TD, the second team knows that they HAVE to use all four downs each series to keep getting first downs until they also score a tying TD.

Agreed on the too many rules changes, but that's the coaches' job to stay abreast of that stuff.
They should've told the captains what to do for the coin flip.....

cool smiley
==

There is some talk that the 49er defense needed the rest, rather than go out on the field right away after the 2 minute break. I agree, you do want to go second.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 12, 2024 12:39PM
It would have been a moot point if SF didn’t have that extra point blocked. Game would have never reached OT if they made it.

JoeM
Date: February 12, 2024 12:41PM
JoeM
It would have been a moot point if SF didn’t have that extra point blocked. Game would have never reached OT if they made it.

Or if the punt hadn't grazed the wrong ankle....
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 12, 2024 12:42PM
Or Taylor Swift hadn’t been cheering for the other team…
==

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 12, 2024 01:26PM
49ers had plenty of opportunities to win that game. They didn't.

KC has a championship mentality, SF - maybe needs more of it.

Still, it's hard to complain about the game - two closely matched teams and a tie at the end of regulation play … in the olden days, that's how it would've ended - as a tie game.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 12, 2024 03:26PM
I don't know if I would want to admit to something that stupid. I'd rather say, Oh well we lost instead of, Oh well we blew it through ignorance.

Date: February 12, 2024 03:39PM
pRICE cUBE
49er players were probably told but they were not paying attention in the meeting where this was discussed.

The coaching staff said the players were not told. It's a coaching screw up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2024 03:40PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: February 12, 2024 03:50PM
pqrst
I was watching cbs and I was a little confused by one of the commentators staying this was just the first quarter of overtime a couple of times. And this was as the last 15 seconds. I got the impression that there was still at least another “quarter” to go. Didn’t help that they said that this was the first Super Bowl OT since some new rules. But didn’t explain what the new rules were.

I was hearing that too...very confusing.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 12, 2024 04:00PM
JoeM

It never would have reached OT, but it might have still been a 49ers loss since KC would have known they needed a touchdown to win and not just a field goal to tie. So, the game could have still been a loss even with the missed extra point, assuming KC got a touchdown to end regulation.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 12, 2024 04:04PM
But didn’t explain what the new rules were.

They did, at some point, because that was the first I'd heard about it.

I only watched because the 9ers were in the Super Bowl.

And I didn't think much of the sportscasters at all.

One of them said 'new game' a couple of times, and that probably confused one of them to say 'first quarter'.

I don't follow the game nearly enough to know as much as I should know, but that was a WTF moment for me.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: February 12, 2024 04:04PM
Lemon Drop
pqrst

I was hearing that too...very confusing.

I was wondering what would happen if the "clock ran out" and they clarified at some point that we'd just continue into a "2nd" OT quarter if KC didn't score a touchdown (so if KC got a field goal, then we'd keep going into more OT quarters as needed until someone scored again).
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 12, 2024 04:40PM
To be fair, it can be hard to tell which rules the NFL is using on any given weekend.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 12, 2024 04:57PM
I will have to watch the NICK Bikini Bottom coverage, maybe they covered the OT rule changes better.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 12, 2024 05:00PM
mattkime
To be fair, it can be hard to tell which rules the NFL is using on any given weekend.

Ah yes like "possession" where you need to:
  • receive the ball without it touching the ground
  • get both feet down in bounds
  • make a "football" move

[operations.nfl.com]

I wonder what would happen were the receiver to make a baseball or disco move instead!

g=
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 12, 2024 05:31PM
These are professional athletes. It was all over the news in the off-season along with a few other new rules. And even if not...

The referee explained everything at the coin toss for the overtime. Including "It's a new game."
Date: February 12, 2024 05:44PM
wurm
These are professional athletes. It was all over the news in the off-season along with a few other new rules. And even if not...

The referee explained everything at the coin toss for the overtime. Including "It's a new game."

Yes, but the ref didn't explain the pros and cons for what decision the winner of the coin toss should make.....

Bad ref, bad ref.
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 12, 2024 05:48PM
SF: "We want to receive"
Ref: "Are you suuuuuuuuuurrrrre about that?"
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 12, 2024 06:32PM
Sore losers.

If they had scored a touchdown when they had the ball, it would have forced double overtime.

Why is this hard?
Date: February 12, 2024 06:37PM
gabester
mattkime

• make a "football" move

[operations.nfl.com]

I wonder what would happen were the receiver to make a baseball or disco move instead!

"Possession" needs to go away. It is ludicrous watching replays of a player back and forth back and forth back and forth trying to figure out if or when the ball ever rose out of his hands or not. I hate it so much.

Date: February 12, 2024 06:37PM
Gareth
JoeM

It never would have reached OT, but it might have still been a 49ers loss since KC would have known they needed a touchdown to win and not just a field goal to tie. So, the game could have still been a loss even with the missed extra point, assuming KC got a touchdown to end regulation.

I think KC was trying for the TD but couldn't get it. They had to settle for the 3 Pts.

JoeM
Date: February 12, 2024 07:32PM
JoeM
Gareth
JoeM

I think KC was trying for the TD but couldn't get it. They had to settle for the 3 Pts.

Yes, they were, and they did settle for 3 for the tie because that was an option. If they'd needed 4+ points, then they would have used that last play for another TD attempt, either leading to their victory or loss in regulation.
Date: February 12, 2024 08:42PM
Gareth
JoeM
Gareth
JoeM

Yes, they were, and they did settle for 3 for the tie because that was an option. If they'd needed 4+ points, then they would have used that last play for another TD attempt, either leading to their victory or loss in regulation.

Yep you’re right.

JoeM
Date: February 12, 2024 11:06PM
gabester
mattkime

• make a "football" move

[operations.nfl.com]

That rule fiasco came at the expense of the Cowboys and Lions in different games.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: February 12, 2024 11:09PM
Lemon Drop
pRICE cUBE

The coaching staff said the players were not told. It's a coaching screw up.

Coaches knew but didn't bother to tell the players eh? And that to the 49ers special teams flubs with the punt and blocked extra point and it ads up to a SB loss.

The Walrus may not be the flashiest coach but it seems like the KC staff wasn't resting on their laurels.

Date: February 12, 2024 11:37PM
I think Mahomes would have figured out some way to win no matter what the circumstance was.
Date: February 12, 2024 11:45PM
vision63
I think Mahomes would have figured out some way to win no matter what the circumstance was.

Yeah, he go that inexplicable "it" quality about him. Not all SB winning QB have it but do enough to win and ride defensive coattails. It is interesting to watch it in action but also disheartening since I don't believe Dak has the "it".

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 12, 2024 11:55PM
pRICE cUBE
vision63

Yeah, he go that inexplicable "it" quality about him. Not all SB winning QB have it but do enough to win and ride defensive coattails. It is interesting to watch it in action but also disheartening since I don't believe Dak has the "it".

He seems to be a "crunch time" thinker. It elevates his game a few notches. I can relate.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 12, 2024 11:55PM
I really wish the great man theory of sports would die already. There's 21 other players on the field at the same time. In a game where neither team made it to 20 points in 5 quarters, the defenses dominated. A quarterback is an easy pick for MVP and to be fair he's usually the one with the ball but it certainly wasn't a quarterback show last night.

Date: February 13, 2024 12:22AM
mattkime
I really wish the great man theory of sports would die already. There's 21 other players on the field at the same time. In a game where neither team made it to 20 points in 5 quarters, the defenses dominated. A quarterback is an easy pick for MVP and to be fair he's usually the one with the ball but it certainly wasn't a quarterback show last night.

I am not saying a team has to have a QB like Mahomes to winning it all and I am aware that there are other teammates that contribute to the win. When crunch time sets in Mahomes seems to find the right man in the right situation against the highest competition. I don't have any confidence that Dak will do that. That's why Dak has one playoff win while Mahomes has been to 4 SB and winning 3 of them. The Cowboys had a better defense than the Chefs this year and it didn't matter because Dak couldn't will his team to beat the Packers.

As someone that has covered pro sports photographically for over 30 years, I can attest that certain athletes have the "it". Some are athletically gifted, some have the it, and some have both. Other sports photographers I know have described this same phenomenon. Is it scientific? Probably not, but I feel that it is a factor.

Mahomes has now been part of two last second drives to win it all. It's not all pure coincidence.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 13, 2024 04:02AM
I agree about Dak.
Date: February 13, 2024 11:51AM
pRICE cUBE
mattkime

I am not saying a team has to have a QB like Mahomes to winning it all and I am aware that there are other teammates that contribute to the win. When crunch time sets in Mahomes seems to find the right man in the right situation against the highest competition. I don't have any confidence that Dak will do that. That's why Dak has one playoff win while Mahomes has been to 4 SB and winning 3 of them. The Cowboys had a better defense than the Chefs this year and it didn't matter because Dak couldn't will his team to beat the Packers.

As someone that has covered pro sports photographically for over 30 years, I can attest that certain athletes have the "it". Some are athletically gifted, some have the it, and some have both. Other sports photographers I know have described this same phenomenon. Is it scientific? Probably not, but I feel that it is a factor.

Mahomes has now been part of two last second drives to win it all. It's not all pure coincidence.

I agree. There are other "it" candidates brewing under. I think we will see Justin Herbert potentially emerge etc.

We don't have the marquee running backs that we used to have. They were just as impactful as quarterbacks. Emmitt James Smith the third for example. He would have made any team better. He was pretty much the last of his breed. Dak could sure use him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2024 11:51AM by vision63.
Date: February 13, 2024 01:26PM
There are other players in the NFL that have that "it" but out of the QBs, Mahomes is the current leader. Dak is a good citizen and doesn't cause too much drama but I wouldn't bet my life on needing to win a playoff game.

Every playoff game the Chefs had, I picked against them. While Mahomes has the "it", there was also some dumb luck/touch of the football gods involved. Missed FG for the Bills, Ravens shooting themselves in the foot, 49ers not blocking well on an extra point. I guess sometimes teams are well constructed and good enough to be lucky.

Date: February 13, 2024 03:59PM
I guess you have to be prepared to take full advantage of good fortune.
Date: February 13, 2024 11:07PM
vision63
I guess you have to be prepared to take full advantage of good fortune.

This is a good rule for life as well as sports.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020