advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
never meet your Idle(s)?!....'Monty Python' fans, sorry to disappoint but they hate each other....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 13, 2024 05:04PM
.....a few days ago Eric Idle went on a rant about how he still has to work due to 'mismanagement' by John Cleese and Terry Gilliam and that they are not making loads of money from 'Monty Python'.....he added that he hasn't seen Cleese in 7 years and happy about it....

.....John Cleese just responded that he, Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin always 'loathed' Eric Idle....

John Cleese Defends Monty Python Manager After Eric Idle Called Group’s Income Disastrous: ‘We Always Loathed and Despised Each Other’

.....John Cleese took to X (formerly Twitter) to respond to Eric Idle after the latter went viral for some heated comments related to Monty Python, the legendary British comedy troupe that Idle and Cleese co-founded in 1969 alongside Graham Chapman, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones and Michael Palin. Idle made headlines for saying he still has to “work for my living” and heavily suggesting that Monty Python funds are being mismanaged.

“I don’t know why people always assume we’re loaded,” Idle posted on X. “Python is a disaster. ‘Spamalot’ made money 20 years ago. I have to work for my living. Not easy at this age.”

“We own everything we ever made in ‘Python’ and I never dreamed that at this age the income streams would tail off so disastrously,” he added. “But I guess if you put a Gilliam child in as your manager you should not be so surprised. One Gilliam is bad enough. Two can take out any company.”

Holly Gilliam is Terry’s daughter and runs HDG Projects, which manages Python. She became the comedy troupe’s manager back in 2014 and co-produced a highly-anticipated reunion show with its members the same year. Cleese took to X to defend Holly against Idle’s insinuation that her management is hurting Python’s funds.

“I have worked with Holly for the last 10 years, and I find her very efficient, clear-minded, hard working, and pleasant to have dealings with,” Cleese wrote. “Michael Palin has asked me to to make it clear that he shares this opinion. Terry Gilliam is also in agreement with this.”

When one Python fan asked if Cleese had a falling out with Idle, Cleese responded: “We always loathed and despised each other, but it’s only recently that the truth has begun to emerge.”

Idle, meanwhile, got a sign of support from his daughter, Lily, who posted amid her father’s statements that “I’m so proud of my dad for finally, finally, finally starting to share the truth. He has always stood up to bullies and narcissists and absolutely deserves reassurance and validation for doing so.”

In another nod to Idle’s claims, Cleese posted a rundown of the many gigs he has lined up for 2024 as to assure Python fans that he has finances coming in this year.

See Cleese and Idle’s full statements in the X posts below.

Holly Gilliam

I have worked with Holly for the last ten years, and
I find her very efficient, clear-minded,hard-
working, and pleasant to have dealings with

Michael Palin has asked me to to make it clear that he
shares this opinion

Terry Gilliam is also in agreement with this
— John Cleese (@JohnCleese) February 13, 2024

We always loathed and despised each other, but it's only recently that the truth has begun to emerge [t.co]
— John Cleese (@JohnCleese) February 13, 2024

......can't stand........Eric Idle..........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2024 05:09PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: never meet your Idle(s)?!....'Monty Python' fans, sorry to disappoint but they hate each other....
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 13, 2024 05:51PM
Shades of Hall and Oates!

It is what it is.
Re: never meet your Idle(s)?!....'Monty Python' fans, sorry to disappoint but they hate each other....
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 13, 2024 06:31PM
Big babies airing their dirty laundry in public. I bet "still having to work" means paying for some huge house and expensive car, not needing food and shelter.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 13, 2024 07:07PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Shades of Hall and Oates!

'zackly!

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 13, 2024 08:02PM
There seems to be substance for the mismanagement accusations. The deal they made for Spamalot famously gave away most of the merchandising and brought up accusations that they undercut Idle on royalties. There was at least one lawsuit over it that let spill that the whole of their royalties over 8 years was about £2.8 million split 7 ways. [Edit - did some math wrong originally. Comes to £50k/yr each.]

He seems ill-tempered lately, but of the two, Idle seems to be the most congenial and well-centered. He's got a way of making friends wherever he goes. It may be a veneer, but it's d@mned convincing: Everyone I know who knows him insists that he's utterly charming and prone to making up songs on the spot. It's interesting, but not at all surprising that his rare outbursts are often triggered by John Cleese.

Because Cleese has become a bit of a nutter who enjoys disparaging everyone and taking joy from their lives.

Sucks when your heroes fall.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2024 10:12PM by Tiangou.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 13, 2024 08:25PM
Oddly enough, Cleese and Idle toured together about 10 years ago. The show was called "Together again, for the first time". My wife and I went to the show. They seemed to get along during the show. The first half was kinda boring... mostly a look back on the time leading up to Python. After the intermission, they came back and took turns doing comedy bits. Very funny.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 13, 2024 09:12PM
John Cleese. After a lifetime of keeping quiet to protect the brand, sometimes these late-career celebrities decide the world would be better were it at last to be graced with their wisdom. That's not always the case.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 13, 2024 09:54PM
I’m not sure I buy what they are saying. It could be a part of their schtick.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 13, 2024 10:05PM
Dennis S

that was my reaction

Date: February 14, 2024 02:08AM
Dennis S

No, it's not.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 14, 2024 09:42AM
Eric's daughter's statement has the ring of truth for me. [full disclosure, I just like Idle better than Cleese.]
Posted by: Schpark
Date: February 14, 2024 10:33AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Dennis S

No, it's not.

Yes it is.
Date: February 14, 2024 12:22PM
Schpark
N-OS X-tasy!
Dennis S

No, it's not.

Yes it is.

It most certainly is not.

It is what it is.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 14, 2024 02:45PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Schpark
N-OS X-tasy!
Dennis S

No, it's not.

Yes it is.

I came here for an argument...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 14, 2024 05:41PM
rz
N-OS X-tasy!
Schpark
N-OS X-tasy!
Dennis S

No, it's not.

Yes it is.

I came here for an argument...

Brilliant

Hurts like a bastid...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 188
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020