Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
WSJ On Battery Car Sales: "Reality has set in"
Posted by: chopper
Date: February 14, 2024 05:05PM
They not sellin'.

The Michigan plant where the F-150 Lightning electric truck is built used to vibrate with excitement.

President Biden visited in 2021 and test drove the blazing-fast pickup. Before the first ones even started rolling off the assembly line in the spring of 2022, Ford said it would expand the factory to quadruple the number it could build.

That energy is rapidly fading. Ford is cutting the plant’s output by half, and workers are relocating to other facilities, mostly those making gas-powered pickups and SUVs.

The sudden change “was a little bit of a shocker,” said Matthew Schulte, who inspects trucks at the factory in suburban Detroit. “Reality has set in.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: WSJ On Battery Car Sales: "Reality has set in"
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 14, 2024 05:08PM
People don't want the Ford because dealers thought it was still 2020 and that they could demand premiums above MSRP. It was greed that killed the demand for the Lightning and nothing else.

Sales of other EVs have doubled or tripled...you forgot that part.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: kj
Date: February 14, 2024 05:09PM
F-150 Lightnings are not selling. But I do think the oil companies, etc. misinformation campaign is starting to make progress. Plus, car dealers have done everything they can to discourage sales, and yet they are selling, because they work for a lot of people.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 14, 2024 05:12PM
US EV Sales Show Strong Increases

[cleantechnica.com]

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 14, 2024 05:18PM
The article is poorly written BS that the pro-oil anti-EV crowd loves to embrace. EV’s are selling, in greater numbers every year. It’s the overpriced and poorly thought out EV’s with sucky charging support from the legacy automakers that’s not selling. And most of that problem is exacerbated by all the FUD out there regarding EV’s, which the legacy automakers are doing nothing to combat (like a good advertising campaign to educate the public….sort of like Apple did during its revival). EV’s are treated like compliance cars by the legacy makers, it’s no wonder they’re not selling. This isn’t rocket science folks. A upstart company with a fraction of the resources (Tesla) can make affordable EV’s at a profit, don’t tell me with decades of head start, the legacy guys couldn’t have done it.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 14, 2024 05:31PM
WSJ On Battery Car Ford Lightning Sales: "Reality has set in"

FTFY
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 14, 2024 05:40PM
chopper
They not sellin'.

The Michigan plant where the F-150 Lightning electric truck is built used to vibrate with excitement.

President Biden visited in 2021 and test drove the blazing-fast pickup. Before the first ones even started rolling off the assembly line in the spring of 2022, Ford said it would expand the factory to quadruple the number it could build.

That energy is rapidly fading. Ford is cutting the plant’s output by half, and workers are relocating to other facilities, mostly those making gas-powered pickups and SUVs.

The sudden change “was a little bit of a shocker,” said Matthew Schulte, who inspects trucks at the factory in suburban Detroit. “Reality has set in.”

Please provide a link to the article being cited.

It is what it is.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2024 05:45PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 14, 2024 06:37PM
"Battery cars"?!? RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 14, 2024 07:45PM
Beleaguered!
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 14, 2024 09:16PM
Classic example of confirmation bias - someone posting data that validates their personal views.

EV sales are broadly up year over year, as posted by Markintosh.

As for the Ford Lightning, the reality is that this is very much a first gen product. The drive train is a nice EV, and it looks nice. But the EV part such as the computer control system is slow, and Ford has already announced a major change coming. So it's already made their first gen product obsolete.

Everyone I know who has trucks honestly would prefer a Rivian or Cybertruck.
Posted by: Numo
Date: February 14, 2024 09:56PM
Sometimes the WSJ and NYT like to print stories that appeal to their audience’s prejudices.
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 14, 2024 10:23PM
Dealer price gouging is one factor deterring EV sales.
Dealership steering away from EVs which have significantly lower maintenance costs is another factor.
Dealership steering towards hybrids which have more complexity as they combine EV and ICE for ongoing maintenance rents is another factor.
Automaker bait and switch in the form of "entry level price $x0k" but usually released "down the road" while "added trim and unneeded features much higher $Y0k available now" is a third factor.
Additionally there were some consumer-side price/credit variances with the sunsetting of the old EV credit and intro of the new one which impacted many vehicles without the proper provenance of battery/manufacturing origin.

Despite these 4 factors, EV sales are growing. You'd think these car sellers don't want that.

You'd think the oil companies do want that.

g=
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 14, 2024 11:18PM
Tesla Model Y Going To Be Top Selling Vehicle In The World In 2023

The numbers are not yet in, but it’s close enough. The Tesla Model Y was the top selling vehicle model in the world in the first quarter of 2023, in the second quarter of 2023, and in the third quarter of 2023. With Tesla’s best quarter by far always being the fourth quarter, and an expected 328,000 Model Y deliveries in the quarter, I think we can say with certainty that the Tesla Model Y will be the best selling vehicle model in the world this year.
[cleantechnica.com].

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 14, 2024 11:21PM
Now now, be careful there, that doesn’t fit the OP’s narrative. nono smiley
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 15, 2024 09:21AM
well, non-Tesla Level 3 charging networks still suck rocks...plenty of first-person youtube vids on that.

so unless you've got rock-solid Level 2 charging at home & work why buy a non-Tesla EV of any flavor?

I'll take the F-150 hybrid with the optional 7.2kW inverter as it can power my home in a blackout.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2024 09:24AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 15, 2024 10:17AM
Nations and states have been artificially juicing EV sales with incentives, tax breaks, etc. Only Tesla and BYD have been able to produce and sell EVs in large volumes profitably. Tesla have been playing nice and trying to give others time to get their act together. They could cut prices by 20% and probably still be slightly profitable. GM killed off their best selling EV because it was based on 15 year old tech developed for a PHEV. They can't even make more than a few thousand of their more recent designs because they have no infrastructure to mass manufacture batteries. Same for Ford. BMW, Mercedes, and VW/Audi have all seen massive drops in sales in Germany because incentives were dropped by the German government.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 15, 2024 12:18PM
As for US, we'll see if it's all incentive driven when the first quarter numbers come out, since the fat Federal incentives only apply to a handful of models now.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: February 15, 2024 04:46PM
Two drawbacks for EVs are towing and long distance driving. Two things trucks are often used for.

As a daily driver, an EV can be ideal. I had a Tesla S for 7 months and plugged it in at home, into a 240V outlet. Took overnight to refuel but I was home asleep. Not once did I stop to recharge, not once in 7 months. Loved that.
But my wife and I have three vacations planned this year, one is a 400 mile drive, ok not so bad, but another is from South Florida to Nashville, and an EV adds hrs to our drive time. In this case Gas is just a better option.

EV or Gas, depending on the situation. My mom drove a Chevy Bolt, loved it, but had no great options to recharge, she lives in a condo and refueling An EV becomes a hassle for her

Biden/Putin 2024
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 15, 2024 08:27PM
I’m in the same boat as Mr645; we take long trips. Right now our ELR PHEV is charging in my wife’s family’s home in Mexico City (since we arrived mid-January we have only used gasoline once in order to pass the pollution test, 60 kms of battery range gets us around the city.) We were going to drive to Guatemala with it but my wife became ill. This summer we will drive it to Alaska and even Tesla doesn’t have the necessary charging infrastructure to get us there (although Tesla Superchargers could get us to Guatemala - if we owned a Tesla.)

A sales person from our hometown Cadillac dealer called a couple of days ago to tell me they had been allocated some (BEV) Lyriqs to see if I was still interested in buying one. I declined because we had some large expenses (bought a home for our daughter) but also because they won’t have the ability to charge using a Supercharger until next year. Last I spoke with him he told me the only Lyriq they have ‘sold’ was to the dealer’s general manager. We can still take our 2013 Volt to Alaska.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020