advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Stainless steel is not suppoesed to rust, Elon...
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 14, 2024 10:21PM
Cybertruck Owners Say Their Stainless Steel Trucks Are Rusting

One Cybertruck Owners Club forum member says they started noticing small orange flecks appearing on his truck after driving it in the rain for just two days.

“Just picked up my Cybertruck today,” they wrote. “The advisor specifically mentioned the cybertrucks develop orange rust marks in the rain and that required the vehicle to be buffed out.”

The Cybertruck owner posted followup photos after washing the vehicle down with soap, and they didn’t inspire much confidence, showing body panels already pockmarked with small orange spots.

Another user noticed similar orange specks on his truck after driving it through rain in Los Angeles.

“They documented the corrosion, and told me they’ll give me a call next month when the tools have arrived and they can perform the service/repair,” the user wrote after taking their vehicle to their local service center. “The Cybertruck has 381 miles on it, and has spent much of the 11 days in my custody parked in front of my house.”...

Refining steel does not automatically mean making it stainless. Depending on the proportion of chromium, titanium, nickel, nitrogen and other additives, this results in very different properties. These range from better formability and a maximum degree of hardness to permanent rust resistance, even against acids.

The choice of additives and the subsequent shaping of the components with a particular type of steel is, of course, always a question of cost. And Tesla may have made the wrong decision here with the Cybertruck.

Tesla’s cleaning recommendations for the Cybertruck also confirm the impression that the steel grade is one of the less resistant variants...

Some Cybertruck owners say their fellow Cybertruckers are blowing things out of proportion, and one said it’s a good idea to not “...drive it in the rain, or get it wet.”

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Stainless steel is not suppoesed to rust, Elon...
Posted by: Black
Date: February 14, 2024 10:31PM

Some Cybertruck owners say their fellow Cybertruckers are blowing things out of proportion, and one said it’s a good idea to not “...drive it"

fixed
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 14, 2024 10:41PM
Elon's hubris on the design of the Cybertruck may well be his ultimate undoing, not his acquisition of and intellectual diarrhea on tXitter.

Someone asked me what I thought of the Cybertruck yesterday, and I said, "Well, it was designed for some weird dystopian future with its 'bulletproof' unbreakable windows and all metal body. That's not the kind of world I want to live in, and I don't want to have a truck made for a world that impractical to the civilization that designed it."

g=
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 14, 2024 10:53PM
ITS CALL A PATINA

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 14, 2024 10:53PM
I think this is going to turn out to be another FUD hit piece on Tesla. Plenty of Cybertrucks have been out in the wild for awhile now. This is the first I'm hearing of it. A bit of googling suggests almost no one is reporting such issues, and the few that are, it is speculated to be iron dust particles (from rail roads) that have settled on the vehicle during it's delivery journey, which is easily washed off. I know people with Cybertrucks here in Arkansas (where it's been raining a lot) and none have reported the issue.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 14, 2024 10:58PM
There was some kind of finish problem on the DeLorean. You would think Tesla would have fixed this problem.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 14, 2024 11:09PM
Forrest
There was some kind of finish problem on the DeLorean.
Think I read somewhere it turned out to be railroad dust...
Date: February 14, 2024 11:13PM
Black
Forrest
Probably the same writer as the OP’s article.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 15, 2024 06:20AM
Forrest
There was some kind of finish problem on the DeLorean. You would think Tesla would have fixed this problem.

.....was it the flux....capacitor.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 15, 2024 06:33AM
Tiangou,

no surprise. Despite what many people think, stainless steel can and will rust depending on the circumstances and what it is exposed to over time. We tested stainless steel at my office and it rusted due to exposure to grease and salt. Stainless steel also sparks. The color of the spark depends on the type and grade of it.

Robert
Date: February 15, 2024 07:51AM
Don’t confuse them with facts Robert.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 15, 2024 10:20AM
stainless will rust, not like stamped carbon steel though. It's more of a layer of oxidation. Like the statue of liberty.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 15, 2024 11:15AM
It's made of high carbon steel with a low chromium content so it doesn't need to be sharpened as often.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 15, 2024 11:43AM
Black
Forrest

Is that another word for Peruvian marching powder?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 15, 2024 11:49AM
Robert M
We tested stainless steel at my office and it rusted due to exposure to grease and salt.

Wash your hands well after eating french fries!

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 15, 2024 12:24PM
Should have used Cor-Ten. grinning smiley
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 15, 2024 12:27PM
I find it hard to believe that these people are just mistakenly reporting "dust."
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 15, 2024 12:34PM
Rust never sleeps
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 15, 2024 01:45PM
ztirffritz
stainless will rust, not like stamped carbon steel though. It's more of a layer of oxidation. Like the statue of liberty.

Entirely depends on the exact alloy of stainless steel. I have some old, cheap stainless cutlery, it will rust under some conditions and I have tossed some pieces which developed rust pits and cracks. I also recently bought an inexpensive pasta pot/steamer will developed pits and corrosion stains. Those stopped after about a years usage, I suspect surface contamination on th stainless steel used from either the tools or lubricants used during manufacture.

So the cybertruck stainless steel could be surface rusting from a wide variety of factors including faulty manufacturing processes or use of the wrong alloy. Or it could be from various common air or water pollutants.
Date: February 15, 2024 01:49PM
Acer
I find it hard to believe that these people are just mistakenly reporting "dust."

I find it hard to believe after four years of development and thousands of hours of weather testing, Tesla wouldn’t know their Cybertrucks would rust. I further find it hard to believe that after a couple thousand Cybertrucks that have been delivered into customer hands the past few months, driving in rain and snow (with its attendant road salt), that the only one that’s rusted and we have pictures of is one (or two….maybe Black owns one of those?).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2024 01:52PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: February 15, 2024 06:30PM
Carnos Jax
Acer

I find it hard to believe after four years of development and thousands of hours of weather testing, Tesla wouldn’t know their Cybertrucks would rust. I further find it hard to believe that after a couple thousand Cybertrucks that have been delivered into customer hands the past few months, driving in rain and snow (with its attendant road salt), that the only one that’s rusted and we have pictures of is one (or two….maybe Black owns one of those?).

Tesla is famous for hiding disclaimers in the manual to try and escape legal liability.

Like this one:

"The Cybertruck’s exterior is susceptible to corrosion, as acknowledged in the manual," one Cybertruck Owners Club forum member, who posted screenshots of the documentation, wrote. "Once the oxide barrier is compromised, corrosion initiates."

Date: February 15, 2024 07:18PM
^^^^That’s just put in there for technical reasons to state the obvious. Any engineer will tell you this is true of all metals, whether you’re talking about stainless steel, aluminum or iron. Once the oxide film is compromised, corrosion will initiate, but by definition that corrosion forms a new oxide film, which prevents further corrosion.This is how all metals slowly corrode due to wear and tear, even the best stainless steel. The alloys that corrode the slowest are the ones that have more stable oxide films. This is the same thing when you see the red rust on some types of iron structural members in civil infrastructure. The difference between something that’s perceived to rust or not is the stability of the film. This is all basic engineering knowledge that has to sometimes be spoonfed consumers (like in the form of a disclaimer) because the average consumer, thinks stainless steel doesn’t rust.

By the way, engineers refer to stainless steel as corrosion resistant steel. Notice the word resistance there. It’s the difference between Apple and other phone makers saying their phones are water resistant, versus waterproof. Stainless steel is not truly stainless.
Date: February 15, 2024 07:39PM
And then there are THESE get out of jail free cards starting on page 119:

Navigate on Autopilot does not make driving autonomous. You must pay attention to the road, keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times, and remain aware of your navigation route.

Full Self-Driving (Beta) is a hands-on feature. Keep your hands on the steering yoke (or steering wheel) at all times, be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic, and always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death. It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with the limitations of Full Self-Driving (Beta) and the situations in which it may not work as expected.

Date: February 15, 2024 07:42PM
Yes, again, to state the obvious, because some people are too stupid to be alive.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 15, 2024 08:06PM
Carnos Jax
Yes, again, to state the obvious, because some people are too stupid to be alive.

Unfortunately they often take others with them.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 15, 2024 08:26PM
Stupid people often do.
Date: February 15, 2024 08:40PM
Carnos Jax

Yeah.

Stupid for believing what they've been told by a company run by a lunatic.

Silly stupid people.

Total idiots for having any faith in anything coming from Elon Musk.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

SAN FRANCISCO — Tesla is promising to launch “full self-driving” capabilities to hundreds of thousands of cars through an over-the-air update as soon as this year. But its push to put the features — largely unregulated and unproven on real-world roads — in the hands of American drivers is putting industry executives and regulators on edge.

Once the update arrives, Tesla vehicles will be able to drive themselves in a city the way they can perform highway cruising now, the company said. That means interpreting stop signs and traffic lights, making sharp turns, and navigating stop-and-go urban traffic and other obstacles — a far more difficult task than navigating long, relatively straight stretches of highways.

Although Tesla’s website has promised features as soon as this year including the ability to recognize and react to traffic lights and stop signs, and what it calls “Automatic driving on city streets,” the suite would still require a human driver behind the wheel.

As soon as next year, Tesla has said, the cars will be able to operate reliably on their own, even allowing the driver to fall asleep...

(Emphasis added.)

[www.newsweek.com]

As early as July 2020, Elon Musk said that Tesla's self-driving feature was approaching "level-five" autonomy, which would require no input from the driver. Musk told the World Artificial Intelligence Conference that he expected the "basic functionality" for level-five autonomy would be completed before the end of 2020.

Tesla's website currently states that new vehicles "have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances," and it details the futuristic experience that fully-autonomous driving would bring...

[www.theguardian.com]

Elon Musk says fully self-driving Tesla cars already being built...

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 15, 2024 08:48PM
The very last line is scary because the rest could easily describe vaporware.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 15, 2024 08:53PM
Tiangou
Carnos Jax

Yeah.

Stupid for believing what they've been told by a company run by a lunatic.

Silly stupid people.

Total idiots for having any faith in anything coming from Elon Musk.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

SAN FRANCISCO — Tesla is promising to launch “full self-driving” capabilities to hundreds of thousands of cars through an over-the-air update as soon as this year. But its push to put the features — largely unregulated and unproven on real-world roads — in the hands of American drivers is putting industry executives and regulators on edge.

Once the update arrives, Tesla vehicles will be able to drive themselves in a city the way they can perform highway cruising now, the company said. That means interpreting stop signs and traffic lights, making sharp turns, and navigating stop-and-go urban traffic and other obstacles — a far more difficult task than navigating long, relatively straight stretches of highways.

Although Tesla’s website has promised features as soon as this year including the ability to recognize and react to traffic lights and stop signs, and what it calls “Automatic driving on city streets,” the suite would still require a human driver behind the wheel.

As soon as next year, Tesla has said, the cars will be able to operate reliably on their own, even allowing the driver to fall asleep...

(Emphasis added.)

[www.newsweek.com]

As early as July 2020, Elon Musk said that Tesla's self-driving feature was approaching "level-five" autonomy, which would require no input from the driver. Musk told the World Artificial Intelligence Conference that he expected the "basic functionality" for level-five autonomy would be completed before the end of 2020.

Tesla's website currently states that new vehicles "have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances," and it details the futuristic experience that fully-autonomous driving would bring...

[www.theguardian.com]

Elon Musk says fully self-driving Tesla cars already being built...

Yes, too stupid for confusing ambitious FUTURE time lines as today's reality. By that standard, why aren't you going out and buying a Toyota with a solid state battery, I mean they said back in 2017 that they'd be ready today? Even you don't believe FSD means you can go to sleep while the car drives itself. Why is that? Because you have at least a minimal level of intelligence (and in reality a lot more) to know the difference between eventual goals and the current situation. Sorry, you are excusing Darwinist behavior with normalcy.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: February 15, 2024 08:56PM
People don't read the manual that comes in there regular car what makes you think they would read the one for the new Cybertruck?

Don't they have training videos for the attention deficient crowd?

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Date: February 15, 2024 09:03PM
Harbourmaster
People don't read the manual that comes in there regular car what makes you think they would read the one for the new Cybertruck?

Don't they have training videos for the attention deficient crowd?

Fortunately they don't have to, they'll do just fine as it is.
Date: February 15, 2024 09:09PM
Carnos Jax
By that standard, why aren't you going out and buying a Toyota with a solid state battery...

As a matter of fact, I'm holding onto my present hybrid with the intention of buying its replacement in late 2025 when the hybrids with upgraded batteries should be available.

Date: February 15, 2024 09:15PM
Why didn't you buy it a few years ago, when Toyota said they'd be ready?
Date: February 15, 2024 11:45PM
Carnos Jax

Because you're the one continually lying about it and not Toyota.

[forums.macresource.com]

Date: February 16, 2024 12:14AM
Tiangou
Carnos Jax

Because you're the one continually lying about it and not Toyota.

[forums.macresource.com]

Nope, you're the one pushing Toyota's lies as well as others (this thread being a prime example). You have no shame. Here, let me remind you about Toyota's 2017 solid state battery lie:

[forums.macresource.com]

Carnos Jax
[www.wsj.com]

Toyota Nears Technological Breakthrough in Electric-Car Batteries

Company is working on a new type of battery that could hold a higher charge, as it accelerates its push to build all-electric vehicles

TOKYO—Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it was nearing a major technological breakthrough in electric-car batteries, as the world’s second-largest car maker by sales accelerates its push to build all-electric vehicles.

The technology, a solid electrolyte, would enable smaller, lighter lithium-ion batteries, which theoretically could hold a higher charge—boosting the range of electric vehicles, according to the company.

Toyota said it was working on “production engineering” for these batteries and it expects to start selling cars with the new batteries by the early 2020s.

The company declined to comment on which vehicles might be equipped with these batteries.

These so-called solid-state batteries replace the damp electrolyte solution in current batteries with a solid. That allows for an improvement in shelf life compared with current batteries on the market, which degrade over time. They also are designed to avoid the fire hazard sometimes posed by current lithium-ion batteries.

Toyota has been working on a number of new battery technologies for years, including solid-state lithium-ion batteries. In 2014, Toyota engineers gave a presentation at a conference in Italy highlighting their plans to field solid-state lithium-ion batteries in 2025.

The company is one of many companies looking to build solid-state batteries, including Alphabet Inc.’s Google.

The announcement comes as Toyota shifts focus to building all-electric vehicles after years of asserting their inferiority to gas-electric hybrids and hydrogen fuel-cells.

The company is preparing an electric car for China, where regulations mandate car makers boost sales of battery-powered cars.
Date: February 16, 2024 12:15AM
I've pointed this out to you before multiple times, but you keep lying about it and otherwise ignoring it. What is it, you think the forum forgets?
Date: February 16, 2024 12:17AM
And in case you forget, look at when that Wall Street Journal article was dated....that's right, 2017 baby!
Date: February 16, 2024 01:13AM
Oooh! They slipped by maybe a year from an old tentative projection. That’s exactly the same as a broken promise. (NOT.)

Meanwhile…

Where’s that Tesla level five Musk promised by 2017?

Musk promised a cross-country drive by the end of 2017 — it still hasn’t happened

Musk claimed in April 2019 it would have one million self-driving taxis on the road by the end of 2020 — it still hasn’t happened, and the Los Angeles Times noted that just a few weeks after Musk’s announcement, Tesla sold $3 billion in stock to fix its cash woes

In July 2020, Musk claimed that “we will have the basic functionality for Level 5 autonomy complete this year” — Tesla vehicles still don’t offer Level 5 autonomy

In January 2021’s earnings call, Musk said he was “highly confident the car will be able to drive itself with a reliability in excess of humans this year”

I understand you’ve got sunk costs, but you owe that cretin no loyalty. You are embarrassing yourself with these contortions.

Date: February 16, 2024 01:22AM
At least this is the first time you’re even acknowledging that old press release. And it’s not one year. What part of early 2020’s do you not understand? And unlike you, I don’t fault Toyota, like you fault Tesla. Unlike you, I acknowledge the difficulty of revolutionary milestones and give them all a wide latitude. You’re the one looking at gift horses in the mouth. I mean seriously, what is it to you that Musk is off on his timelines. At least he delivers. Contrast that to the legacy auto makers who have been promising us even just a basic EV for decades. Somehow you’ve made this emotional and tied it to your core being. I just don’t understand someone like you who gets so upset on trivial matters of no consequence to themselves. Let it go man, your whole Tesla obsession is embarrassing.
Date: February 16, 2024 01:28AM
Carnos Jax
At least this is the first time you’re even acknowledging that old press release. And it’s not one year. What part of early 2020’s do you not understand? And unlike you, I don’t fault Toyota, like you fault Tesla. Unlike you, I acknowledge the difficulty of revolutionary milestones and give them all a wide latitude. You’re the one looking at gift horses in the mouth. I mean seriously, what is it to you that Musk is off on his timelines. At least he delivers. Contrast that to the legacy auto makers who have been promising us even just a basic EV for decades. Somehow you’ve made this emotional and tied it to your core being. I just don’t understand someone like you who gets so upset on trivial matters of no consequence to themselves. Let it go man, your whole Tesla obsession is embarrassing.

Nothing is changed in my position.

Guess what.

It’s still the early 2020s.

You’re defining “ready” wrong. All that means is that the design meets engineering goals and has been signed off on by management. It does not mean that they will be in full production for all of their vehicles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2024 01:32AM by Tiangou.
Date: February 16, 2024 01:49AM
“….it expects to start selling cars with the new batteries by the early 2020s.”
Date: February 16, 2024 02:50AM
Carnos Jax
“….it expects to start selling cars with the new batteries by the early 2020s.”

I did concede that they may have slipped by “maybe a year.”

Please try to pay attention.

Posted by: kj
Date: February 16, 2024 11:45PM
Toyota was projecting 2027 for solid state batteries, but now is projecting 2030. I personally see no reason to wait until then. I'm driving and enjoying my Tesla a lot, right now. I don't know how with all the fatal problems it's supposed to have, but somehow I manage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020