Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So far, the early return rate on Apple Vision Pro is pretty low
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 17, 2024 06:48AM
So far, the early return rate on Apple Vision Pro is pretty low

As it is a polarizing product, there are obviously some returns of Apple Vision Pro headsets. So far, the narrative that it is being returned in droves to Apple Retail appears false.
When opinions on a product are as wide-ranging as they are on Apple Vision Pro, you've got to expect some disappointment from some. And with that disappointment, comes returns.

Apple's generous return policies don't exactly discourage this kind of thing. Apple allows returns to be made within 14 days of purchase for just about any reason, assuming that you're returning the product complete.

The narrative started on Wednesday that return season was here, citing Twitter sources and complaints about the headset. They're all reasonable complaints by the returners — but to hold a them up as a sign of mass returns isn't...

What Apple employees are telling me about Apple Vision Pro returns

"We've had a few in a few days, not outside the normal range for new stuff across the entire region," one senior Apple Retail employee that we've been talking to for over a decade who is not authorized to speak on behalf of the company told me on Friday morning. "Maybe like not-pro iPhone levels, proportionately, two weeks after release?"

Other sources inside retail told me that Apple appeared to expect a high return rate, given in-store support documentation on the matter. Still, though, the surge doesn't appear to have happened...

Who is returning the Apple Vision Pro?

Beyond buyer's remorse for a $3500 purchase, there are two main groups that are returning the product. The first group is buyers that immediately have a biological incompatibility with the headset.

"Most of our returns, by far, are within a day or two. They're the folks that get sick using it," one source told me, echoing what I've heard for a week from others. "The pukers, the folks that get denied by prescription-filling, that kind of thing. They know real quick."

There other major return segment of the tech-using public appears to be media producers who are using the purchase as a free rental. When I asked who seemed to be returning the headset the most, we got a clear answer.

"It's just the f***ing YouTubers so far," one retail employee exasperatedly told me late on Thursday.

I was amused by the vehemence of the response, and so was rest of the AppleInsider staff when I shared it in our Slack. So, I asked other Apple retail staffers about it.

"Oh yeah, those guys, yeah. Every product, every time," one contact said to me. "I'm going to hunt you down if I hear you returned yours."

There's more at [appleinsider.com]

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So far, the early return rate on Apple Vision Pro is pretty low
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 17, 2024 06:54AM
I wonder how many tried to sell them aftermarket but failed?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 17, 2024 09:57AM
I wonder if you get a refund on prescription lenses?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 17, 2024 11:44AM
Ombligo
I wonder how many tried to sell them aftermarket but failed?

Apple made it VERY hard to re-sell
Posted by: kj
Date: February 17, 2024 01:49PM
I think they are learning a lot from it, and I don't really think anyone expected them to sell like the iPod did. I do think they want some people to use them pretty extensively though so utility can be developed. Think of the Google glass. Not everything is a barn buster, especially if there is innovation going on.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 17, 2024 01:51PM
You play games on it? Different worlds you can experience? I don't know what people do with it.

I feel like I'm back at the stage where people would ask "What is the internet?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 01:53PM by vision63.
Date: February 17, 2024 05:11PM
Yeah, they just had to get it out there and let people make apps for it and find ways to use it. In a way, it's not really their responsibility to figure out exactly how people will use it. You just hope there are some good tools in there.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 17, 2024 05:15PM
It's absolutely a first gen product, really for developers.

Will take time to find its niche.

I have no interest in buying one for my personal and professional goals. But that might change down the road. But I doubt it so long as it's wearing ski goggles.
Date: February 17, 2024 06:25PM
sekker
It's absolutely a first gen product, really for developers.

Will take time to find its niche.

I have no interest in buying one for my personal and professional goals. But that might change down the road. But I doubt it so long as it's wearing ski goggles.

Really heavy ski goggles. I'd rather wear ski goggles around, as they're actually pretty comfy winking smiley
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 17, 2024 07:13PM
kj
I think they are learning a lot from it, and I don't really think anyone expected them to sell like the iPod did. I do think they want some people to use them pretty extensively though so utility can be developed. Think of the Google glass. Not everything is a barn buster, especially if there is innovation going on.

Easy to forget after all these years, but the iPod didn’t become a runaway success until Apple released a Windows-compatible version a few years after the initial release.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 18, 2024 07:05PM
Yes, the AVP will be a slow burn product, I expect.

More like a $4000 product, with lens inserts, a spare battery or two, and opting for more storage, it's not for the faint of heart or those with a fully developed sense of financial stewardship.

I wonder if a year from today, it will be a more refined product, making anyone who bought v1.0 regretting it.

Going outside the Apple Walled Garden for content will be a the question that really makes a difference to me.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 18, 2024 10:05PM
Put a top strap on it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 20, 2024 04:00PM
N-OS X-tasy!
kj

Easy to forget after all these years, but the iPod didn’t become a runaway success until Apple released a Windows-compatible version a few years after the initial release.

True, I tend to think the whole thing started when I got my first one (iPod mini), but it started years before that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020