Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple history: February 16, 2000 Pismo PowerBook
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 19, 2024 12:10AM

[www.cultofmac.com]

February 16, 2000: Apple introduces the “Pismo” PowerBook, the finest of its G3 laptops. In the view of many, it’s one of the best Apple laptops ever.

The Pismo PowerBook is the first not to include SCSI or an Apple Desktop Bus connector. Instead, it utilizes USB and Apple’s Emmy Award-winning FireWire. Optional AirPort wireless support, tremendous battery life and a gorgeous, curvy design just make it better.

Pismo PowerBook packs a punch
Apple first showed off the Pismo PowerBook at Macworld Expo Tokyo. The laptop followed the rugged “Wallstreet” G3 PowerBook, released in 1998. Priced at $3,499 for the top-end 500MHz model, the Pismo PowerBook wasn’t cheap. However, it offered great value compared to the 292MHz Wallstreet laptop, which cost $5,600.

There was plenty to love about the Pismo PowerBook. Despite coming after co-founder Steve Jobs returned to Apple in 1997, it retained much of the expandability the company introduced to Macs during his absence.

An impressively expandable Apple laptop
Also, running counter to Apple’s later obsession with limiting expandability and ditching ports whenever possible, the Pismo PowerBook came with a PC Card slot, two FireWire and USB slots, S-video out and more. The laptop also supported plenty of additional memory and a faster processor.

Plus, the possibility of installing dual batteries made it possible to get 12 to 16 hours of real-world usage from the powerful laptop.

Much like the earlier Wallstreet model, the Pismo PowerBook came in a tough package that resisted damage. It sported a polycarbonate plastic case, which makes it look somewhat dated compared to the aluminum laptops of today. However, this material gave it less of an austere feel. Add in the curvaceous design, and the finished product proved pleasingly tactile.

Oh, and this durable laptop came with both a tappable trackpad and one helluva great keyboard.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple history: February 16, 2000 Pismo PowerBook
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 19, 2024 04:53AM
I have two that still work.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: February 19, 2024 06:37AM
Still have mine. I call it The Armani.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: February 19, 2024 07:33AM
I've been trying to get rid of mine but my wife wants it for some old games she still has...but never plays.
Posted by: chopper
Date: February 19, 2024 07:44AM
Swoon
Posted by: zachdog
Date: February 19, 2024 08:03AM
I loved my Pismo, although the keyboard got hot.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: February 19, 2024 08:14AM
I had the Lombard. One generation earlier but same form factor. First machine I had with OSX. Might still have it in a box somewhere.

Athens, OH
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 19, 2024 08:30AM
Pismo was Apple’s sexiest laptop - maybe the sexiest Apple computer - ever.

I lusted after it, but I had bought a Wallstreet (its earlier, chunkier G3 cousin) just before, so I couldn’t open my wallet again.

emoticon_love
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 19, 2024 09:43AM
I had one for a spell, courtesy eBay, back in the days when I was lusting after laptops but could not afford new. I supposed you could hold it on your lap, but it was a beast. Named it "Potemkin" after the battleship (the first battleship name that came to mind). Moved from that to my first new (Apple refurbished) mac laptop, the white MacBook.

My favorite from the curvy era remains the PowerBook 2400c.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 19, 2024 10:13AM
Definitely a high point for that era

Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: February 19, 2024 11:47AM
pdq
I lusted after it, but I had bought a Wallstreet (its earlier, chunkier G3 cousin) just before, so I couldn’t open my wallet again.

Yeah, me too. Had to replace the hinges that crapped out, but I tricked it out as much as possible with extra RAM and an Airport card for wifi.

Installed RealPC, an early Windows emulator that was incredibly slow and wonky. Also installed OS X, which was also slow and wonky.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 19, 2024 12:38PM
my first laptop, but I was happy to dump it when better came around. No room for sentimentality in computer hardware. I got over $1000 in early 00 $s for it.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: February 19, 2024 02:54PM
Mine is now sporting an OWC ATA/SATA converter with a 1TB SSD installed. smiling smiley .
Some day maybe I’ll stumble across one of the Newer Tech or Powerlogix CPU upgrades for it.

Screen is still clear and bright and it’s still a joy to type on. HELL one of my batteries still holds a decent charge!

I keep it around mostly for its flexibility in recovering files from floppies, Zip discs, M.O. discs, CDs and DVDS.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2024 02:58PM by Harbourmaster.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 19, 2024 07:01PM
Harbourmaster
Mine is now sporting an OWC ATA/SATA converter with a 1TB SSD installed. smiling smiley .
Some day maybe I’ll stumble across one of the Newer Tech or Powerlogix CPU upgrades for it.

Screen is still clear and bright and it’s still a joy to type on. HELL one of my batteries still holds a decent charge!

I keep it around mostly for its flexibility in recovering files from floppies, Zip discs, M.O. discs, CDs and DVDS.

Leader!

Woot!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 19, 2024 10:10PM
I loved mine sooooo much. But it's funny, looking at the photo it now appears clunky to me.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 19, 2024 10:17PM
pdq
Harbourmaster

Leader!

Woot!

I’m impressed! Mine just sits forlornly with the rest of my collection of obsolete computers.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 19, 2024 10:25PM
Recycled ours after many years of regular service. Couldn’t find replacement power cards! Was on its fourth card that died. Didn’t have the soldering skills to repair the cards.

My wife still thinks fondly of it as it was her first favorite Mac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020