The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Headless mini back up unit?
Posted by: chopper
Date: February 20, 2024 04:11PM
I have an older intel Mini.

It's running an older version of OSX.

I am considering putting this in a closet with a hard drive attached to it and using it as a back up unit for photos etc in the house. No monitor on it, just sitting there.

What settings would I use to make this painless? Wake from network knock knock and etc?

TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Headless mini back up unit?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 20, 2024 04:20PM
I think its a better job for a Raspberry Pi due to lower power consumption. Of course, you'd need to be 'brave' enough to use linux, but its not that bad for something so straight forward.

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: February 20, 2024 05:22PM
You could install the free version of TrueNAS (a UNIX based NAS OS) on the Intel Mac, then run it headlessly. It can be used as a Time Machine backup, as well as SMB and NFS network volumes. It can be accessed over the local network through a web browser. That’s what I did with my too-old-to-be-useful home theater PC.

I’d recommend this over MacOS tools on Intel Macs, since the MacOS compatible with Intel will in the not-too-distant future enter the “unsupported” territory, and become a security risk.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 20, 2024 06:45PM
I have my mini server in a cabinet with some drives.

It gets warm, so I drilled a hole in the back of the cabinet for airflow, added a USB thermometer to monitor temps and USB fan kit. I pointed one fan inward to suck room-air into the cabinet and one fan at the back to blow warm air out.

This stuff:
[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

Enabled Remote Desktop for screen sharing (vnc) and Remote Login for command line access (ssh) to the server. Set it to never-sleep in the Energy Saver settings.

Can access the server from my laptop by IP address in the Connect to Server window.

Screen sharing: vnc://192.168.x.x
File Sharing: smb://192.168.x.x

Can also browse for it in the Network browser accessible from the Finder sidebar.

And if screensharing fails the server can be rebooted via secure shell in the Terminal: ssh admin-name@192.168.x.x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2024 06:49PM by Tiangou.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 20, 2024 07:57PM
I do similar to Tiangou. Three Mini’s of different vintages in a cabinet that has an exhaust fan to keep them cool. Various drives and switches as well. Access via screen sharing. The only challenge I had was screen sharing was extremely slow at first and the resolution was very low. After doing some reading I added a VGA adapter and jumpered the appropriate pins with a resistor and voila all the problems went away for a few dollars. I use the older Mini’s to run software that needs old hardware or OS.

As for mirroring directories I would think various utilities could do that for you. Rsync at the terminal would do it. CCC can do specific directories I think so that’s another possibility. There’s probably utilities just for doing this.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: February 20, 2024 09:36PM
This device may be useful to some of you driving headless Macs (from OWC, Newer Technology HDMI Headless 4K Display Emulator[/color): [eshop.macsales.com]

I bought this device to help lock in the resolution of the my 2011 Mac mini that was going to be used as server, but I retired that machine putting all my data onto the 2014 Mac mini. I saved the device in case my 2014 Mac mini (or other Mac becomes a server). The device when I bought it was 1080P, not like the 4K device in the link above.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2024 09:49PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 21, 2024 08:09AM
Whatever you do, name it Ichabod.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020