advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cell phone out?
Posted by: DP
Date: February 22, 2024 05:55AM
Country wide outages between AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile… Workaround is using Wi-Fi calling if you haven’t turned that on in Settings.

In memory of Dickie Betts.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2024 05:57AM by DP.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cell phone out?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 22, 2024 06:00AM
.....the morning news said it is nationwide and affects all carriers......AT&T seems to be most affected.....

......more issues in some large cities like San Francisco, Houston, Chicago.....they have not found a cause yet......they say texts seem to work....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: gadje
Date: February 22, 2024 06:00AM
Visible works fine even if I turn WiFi OFF
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 22, 2024 07:25AM
DP,

No issues with AT&T Wireless on the north shore of Long Island. Turned off wifi calling to confirm. No problems. Maybe they've fixed the issue and/or completed maintenance work that affected service already?

Robert
Posted by: archipirata
Date: February 22, 2024 07:35AM
ATT Service out currently here in SE Ohio. Just get the SOS status.

Athens, OH
Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 22, 2024 08:22AM
SOS in Columbia, SC. Per Yahoo news, it's just ATT, that other providers are affected when their customers try to hook up to ATT towers. Who knows.

I will say that my Verizon phone works just fine. It's my ATT phone that is on the fritz.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 22, 2024 09:30AM
ATT was working fine for me, but Cricket was out. Fixed by tuning on WiFI calling, and now Cricket seems ok.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 22, 2024 09:44AM
DP
Country wide outages between AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile… Workaround is using Wi-Fi calling if you haven’t turned that on in Settings.

[www.oakgov.com]

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 22, 2024 10:12AM
Here in central AR, I got an emergency alert bulletin telling the region to use the landline numbers for emergency services (as 911 wasn't working reliably) in Little Rock/North Little Rock.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 22, 2024 10:13AM
This is how the Russians and Chinese will get us!

secret smiley

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Black
Date: February 22, 2024 10:27AM
Zoidberg
Here in central AR, I got an emergency alert bulletin telling the region to use the landline numbers for emergency services (as 911 wasn't working reliably) in Little Rock/North Little Rock.
I saw somewhere that the problem with 911 was that it was getting overloaded by people calling just to see if it worked.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 22, 2024 10:34AM
Black
Zoidberg
I saw somewhere that the problem with 911 was that it was getting overloaded by people calling just to see if it worked.

Can't fix stupid.

[www.nytimes.com]

...The Massachusetts State Police said on social media on Thursday morning that 911 call centers across the state had been flooded with calls from people checking to see if 911 worked from their phones. “Please do not do this,” the police said. “If you can successfully place a non-emergency call to another number via your cell service then your 911 service will also work.”

Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 22, 2024 10:48AM
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 22, 2024 10:49AM
[isc.sans.edu]

[UPDATE] As of 11:30am ET, AT&T states that about 75% of its network is operational, and they are recovering the rest. Several news sources noted that Verizon and T-Mobile may also have outages. This is likely due to a misinterpretation of "Downdetector", a website monitoring various websites for user complaints about outages. Other carriers are also often mentioned, leading to them showing up in Downdetector. For example, Apple Support is also showing problems, according to Downdetector. This may likely be due to AT&T customers calling Apple, suspecting the phone is broken after being unable to connect to the cellular network. Some 911 systems are reporting increased call volume due to the outage.

Beginning this morning, AT&T's cellular network suffered a major outage across the US. At this point, AT&T has not made any statement as to the nature of the outage. It is far too early to speculate. In the past, similar outages were often caused by misconfigurations or technology failures.

What makes the outage specifically significant is that phones cannot connect to cell towers in some areas. This means you cannot make any calls, send or receive SMS messages, or reach emergency services. Some iPhones display the "SOS" indicator, which is displayed if the phone is able to make emergency-only calls via another provider's network. For some newer iPhones, satellite services may be used.

As a workaround, WiFi calling is still reported to work. If you do have an internet connection via a different provider and are able to enable WiFi calling, you will be able to make and receive calls.

Note that this will affect many devices like location trackers, alarm systems, or other IoT devices that happen to use AT&T's network. This could have security implications if you rely on these devices to monitor remote sites.

Some users are reporting that service has already been restored in their area, but without an official statement from AT&T, it is hard to predict how long service restoration will take. For your own planning purposes, I would assume it will be several hours for the service to be fully restored.

Some other workarounds to consider:

Many modern phones will allow for a second eSIM to be installed. T-Mobile and WiFi sometimes offer free trials of their network, and it may get you going for the day.
As mentioned above, WiFi calling is reported to work.
Get a data-only eSIM with a low-cost provider with enough data to "survive" the day.

For resiliency, it is always best to have a secondary internet connection available. In many cases, the cellular connection is your secondary connection. The outage also effects AT&T resellers (MVNOs) like Cricket, Consumer Celular, and Straight Talk.

---
Johannes B. Ullrich, Ph.D. , Dean of Research, SANS.edu
Twitter|

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2024 10:52AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 22, 2024 11:10AM
Sorry about the EMP. I'll be more careful next time.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 22, 2024 11:18AM
as of 12:29pm I still have no service
Posted by: archipirata
Date: February 22, 2024 12:01PM
As of 1PM EST, AT&T cell service has returned here in SE Ohio.

Athens, OH
Date: February 22, 2024 12:09PM
…..this is test run by Russia or China…..

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 22, 2024 12:22PM
Zoidberg

Which raises the question...

What's going to happen to 911 and other emergency calls when AT&T and the other providers completely eliminate land lines??!? smiley-shocked003
Posted by: Black
Date: February 22, 2024 12:46PM
DeusxMac
Zoidberg

Which raises the question...

What's going to happen to 911 and other emergency calls when AT&T and the other providers completely eliminate land lines??!? smiley-shocked003
Well, we have listening stations every couple blocks in some places to detect gunfire.... could they be reconfigured to detect someone yelling "help?"
Date: February 22, 2024 03:00PM
…..AT&T says service restored but no cause for the outage given….

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 22, 2024 08:55PM
I see that a couple of you got the SOS icon; I was curious about that.

No interruption out this way, that I saw.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020