advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Electrical burn smell from ceiling fan
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: February 23, 2024 06:37AM
My wife noticed an electrical burn smell in her home office last week. She has a much stronger sense of smell than I do but I also detected it. We determined that it only happened when the ceiling fan was on and I confirmed by standing on a ladder and sniffing.

So this past weekend I bought and installed a new ceiling fan. Well, just damn, the same smell. I turned the light only on and still the same smell, so it's not the fan motor.

I want to have an electrician to come check out the wiring and make sure there's no danger of burning the house down but, before I do that, is there something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks, hive mind.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Electrical burn smell from ceiling fan
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 23, 2024 07:17AM
I believe the fan created the smell. It may take a while for the smell to dissipate.

Other wise check the wire nuts to see if they are tight. The ones you did and the ones you did not mess with.

Buy me a coffee! old fogey smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Date: February 23, 2024 07:30AM
Bernie
I believe the fan created the smell. It may take a while for the smell to dissipate.

Yeah, that was my initial thought but the fact that we delected the smell when only the light was on, not the fan, is what worries me.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 23, 2024 08:00AM
Run it for a short while and see if the wiring feels hot to the touch

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: gadje
Date: February 23, 2024 08:04AM
If you had something obvious, say a defective wire nut inside the junction box, you would have noticed it when you swapped the fan. I suspect the trouble is beyond the junction box, so definitely wise to call a licensed and insured electrician. The rate around here for a job like that was $200 several years before covid, I would expect a similar job to be $300-400 these days. Definitely worth it for the peace of mind.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 23, 2024 08:10AM
Mike Sellers
Bernie

Yeah, that was my initial thought but the fact that we delected the smell when only the light was on, not the fan, is what worries me.

Did you re-use the light bulbs from the fixture in the old fan?

Stupid people trick: Rinse the bulbs. (And dry them thoroughly before putting them back.) They're probably dusty.

Date: February 23, 2024 08:11AM
Tiangou
Mike Sellers
Bernie

Did you re-use the light bulbs from the fixture in the old fan?

Stupid people trick: Rinse the bulbs. (And dry them thoroughly before putting them back.) They're probably dusty.

Brand new bulbs that came with the fan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020