advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Printing CD labels and envelopes
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 23, 2024 05:58PM
It's been a long time since I burned CD labels or envelopes. I seem to remember a device that kind of stamped the sticker onto the cd. What's the current best way to create CD labels and envelopes? Small volume.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Printing CD labels and envelopes
Posted by: gadje
Date: February 23, 2024 06:08PM
I have an Inkjet (Brother MFC-J835W) that can print directly to CD/DVDs. That's what I would no, not those paper labels that can come off.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 23, 2024 06:11PM
Dave,

And, the adhesive labels can also skew the balance of the CD unless they are applied _very_ carefully. Persoanlly, I'd get inkjet printable media and use an appropriate marker to jot the info on it. That's what I did and still do. No labels or anything. inkjet printable media and a marker. Not pretty but it works.

Robert
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: February 23, 2024 07:45PM
When a label peels up, it can cause the CD/DVD to get stuck in the horizontal toaster slot type of players that auto-insert/eject instead of using a CD tray.
Posted by: clay
Date: February 23, 2024 07:56PM
yeah, inkjet on a printable disc is the way to go. Is this a one-off need or ongoing?
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 23, 2024 09:09PM
TheTominator
When a label peels up, it can cause the CD/DVD to get stuck in the horizontal toaster slot type of players that auto-insert/eject instead of using a CD tray.

And the adhesive on the label can dissolve the top-layer of the disc, which will make it unreadable.

Small volume... Ask among your friends and family for someone with an Epson printer that prints on CDs.

Wow! On a whim I just checked and found that DiscMasters is still around. They used to do small vanity runs. Wouldn't hurt to call/email and ask them whether they'd do yours.

[discmasters.com]

Posted by: gadje
Date: February 23, 2024 09:39PM
PM, I may be able to print a few CDs/DVDs for and then you can burn them.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: February 23, 2024 09:52PM
I bought a Canon MX-922 inkjet printer for this specific purpose.
Dang thing stopped working after four years, during which time I’d printed exactly one disc. What a waste of money. I bought a second hand Casio CWK-85L black-ink CD/DVD title printer subsequently. I can either print what I type on the machine, or design something more complex in the Windows software that came with it. It prints only on shiny disks, not the inkjet printable ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2024 09:57PM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: February 23, 2024 09:59PM
LightScribe!
I used it once. It was awesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2024 10:15PM by rich in distress.
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 23, 2024 10:10PM
There is a disc stuck in the 6 tray CD player of my Nissan Quest which I cannot get out. Might very well be a paper label on CD-R; I made a few of those back in the day.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 24, 2024 01:08AM
Sounds like a sharpie is still my best bet. Thanks.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: ArtP
Date: February 24, 2024 02:32AM
I used a local company years back and did 50 or 100 recordable CDs printed and designed with a space to write some disc info with a sharpie and still look somewhat professional

I couldn't remember what to search for but ran across THIS COMPANY - looks like minimum is 25 to make it worth while

LightScribe!
I used it once. It was awesome.

I remember having a standalone lightscribe firewire burner and using Roxio Toast to make the discs - I think I made about two - lol

Anybody remember back in the OS 9 days you would literally have to sit on your hands and NOT TOUCH ANYTHING while burning CDs to avoid making a coaster.

No multi tasking - just sit and wait
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 24, 2024 07:44AM
davemchine
Sounds like a sharpie is still my best bet. Thanks.

Sharpies eat through the laminate and will destroy the dye layer beneath.

Use CD-safe markers if you're gonna write on them.

Posted by: rz
Date: February 24, 2024 08:39AM
I was so excited when Lightscribe came out… until I saw the results. I’m pretty sure I still have about 40 of the spindle of 50 that I bought when I got a Lightscribe burner.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 24, 2024 10:14AM
I used to have one of those disc stampers.
Print the label.
Remove from sheet
Place on spindle sticky side up
Place CD on it, laser side up.
place stamper on and press
Viola, label set.

I used to get those Metallic foil 'holographic' labels.
My favorite were the ones with the center hole barely bigger than the CD hole. Those looked great.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 24, 2024 10:50AM
TheTominator

Those "StingRay" labels on DVDs from the library will peel up as well. Had that happen with one an aunt got from the library on her tray-load DVD. Got it out of the machine but it was a chore.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 24, 2024 10:53AM
Anyone remember the Dymo DiscPainter? I had one back in 2008 (according to my Amazon purchase history). It was good for basic disc printing needs but the results were like 1990s quality inkjet printing. I had hoped for an upgrade but this was the only offering.

[www.amazon.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 24, 2024 10:57AM
CD Stomper Pro was the popular you're probably referring to:

[www.ebay.com]

JoeM
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 24, 2024 11:34AM
Tiangou,

For standard plain ol' optical media, I'd avoid sharpies. However, I've never had an issue using sharpies on quality white inkjet printable media. Something like this:

[www.amazon.com]

I've got white inkjet printable DVDs I burned 20+ years ago, marked with a sharpie, that are just dandy. The inkjet printable layer protects the rest of the layers well.

Robert
Posted by: polychrome
Date: February 24, 2024 01:30PM
I had an Epson R200 that I got of rid of last year. Used it for many years to print lots of CD labels in conjunction with a CD Stomper, and then switching to printing directly on to printable CD/DVD blanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020