Date: February 23, 2024 10:04PM
[www.nytimes.com]

Gifty Linky
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Flaco, the owl is dead
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 23, 2024 10:17PM
At least he had a year of freedom.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 24, 2024 10:17AM
Whew, thought you were talking about Flaco Jimenez!
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: zachdog
Date: February 24, 2024 10:42AM
Happy he had a year of freedom in Central Park and nearby areas. Sad he struck a building and died. Life is fragile.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 24, 2024 11:37AM
Flacco the former Raven, former Eagle, is still alive.
But now he's a Brown; not sure what sort of a bird, or animal that is.
I'm thinking if he can't figure it soon enough, he'll retire.
Thinking that a Brown Thrasher might suit him well....
or there are other choices to consider .....

R.I.P. Flaco d'Owl.
==
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 24, 2024 02:05PM
The A-hole vandal who cut the net and let the bird escape just earned an extra minute in hell.

Any animal that's never been in the wild would have little or no chance of long-term survival. And a building strike was a horrible way to go, but better than starving to death. Hopefully the bird was rendered unconscious the instant it hit the building.

And the zoo? It has some work to do … they're responsible, too.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 24, 2024 02:30PM
Flaco's enclosure was horrible. Tiny as a department store window display. He could barely fly when he got out, he had no strength or stamina, although he regained it quickly enough.

I am sure that if Flaco had a choice he would prefer one year of fabulous freedom, living like an owl, than 10 years of sitting on a branch being stared at. If you compare before and after photos, he looked miserable in the zoo, and fat and sassy and confident when free. Far from starving, Flaco cut a swathe of destruction of rats and later on pigeons as well.

I am going to miss Flaco, he was my daily smile at a time when smiles are so badly needed.

PS: Rover the bald eagle died just a day or two before Flaco, hit by a car while diving for something. He was never in a zoo. Nature is just cruel, regardless of one's origins.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 24, 2024 03:40PM
This was the first bit of news I saw this morning. Such a sad start to the day. When he was first free, I was hoping he would stay within the park, but of course he had other ideas. Building strikes kill so many birds.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 27, 2024 12:34AM
Flaco no come backo.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020