advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Tags: vertically challenged?
Posted by: pqrst
Date: February 25, 2024 12:05PM
I put an AirTag in my vehicle is parked in my office a few floors below me. So there is no direct contact during the day. But thanks to the apple iPhone crowdsourcied locating, somebody else’s iPhone updates me every hour or so, the location is updated in FindMy. However, it always noted as being close (20’) away. But nothing about the vertical z distance. Not a problem with my car but if I lost my keys in a multi level parking structure, it could be a lot of walking and head scratching. Or am missing something? I have an xs max. Would ultra wideband Bluetooth help? My 2 cents

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2024 12:08PM by pqrst.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Tags: vertically challenged?
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 25, 2024 12:26PM
I’m pretty sure a Bluetooth signal would not travel the vertical distance and a concrete floor of a parking structure.
Posted by: gadje
Date: February 25, 2024 12:35PM
GPS in general is not reliable in theoretical direction. I am not sure why, theoretically it should be able to detect all X, Y Z, and I often see that information when I am using 3rd party app such as "Sensor Toolbox" or similar, but in most Maps applications, it seems they only use X, Y (Latitude, Longitude) and ignore the Z (Altitude). For example, when I am on a multi level interchange, the Apple Maps can put me on the wrong road a few levels above or below before if figures out that I am actually on a different road.

So it's not the Apple Tag, it's the way Apple Location services work in general.
Date: February 25, 2024 12:59PM
I’ve had the same problem with vertical separation when using Apple Maps. I wonder if the other mapping applications are better. realize the Bluetooth won’t penetrate the floors but the iPhone eco system is setup for other iPhones to anomalously look for and locate other air tags when they get in range. That data goes back to your findApp. That location infor is very much 2d.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2024 01:01PM by pqrst.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 25, 2024 01:00PM
pqrst
… if I lost my keys in a multi level parking structure, it could be a lot of walking and head scratching. Or am missing something? I have an xs max. Would ultra wideband Bluetooth help?

Yes, ultra wideband would help greatly once you're within 30 feet or so of the AirTag:

[appleinsider.com]
"The main feature it enables is highly-accurate location tracking, with devices using UWB potentially able to identify the distance and even the location of other hardware relative to itself to within a few inches."

UWB is available in iPhone 11 and newer models.

(By the way, UWB is not related to Bluetooth.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2024 01:01PM by Article Accelerator.
Date: February 25, 2024 03:00PM
Although since I am 3 stories or more away, Uwb won’t help knowing where the lost item is in a vertical axis-wise.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 25, 2024 03:05PM
Some people forget where they parked and now blame AirTags when they can’t find their vehicle.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 25, 2024 09:26PM
Article Accelerator
pqrst
… if I lost my keys in a multi level parking structure, it could be a lot of walking and head scratching. Or am missing something? I have an xs max. Would ultra wideband Bluetooth help?

Yes, ultra wideband would help greatly once you're within 30 feet or so of the AirTag:

Nope, AirTags are still vertically challenged even when using UWB. When trying to find my cats, it only works reliably when I’m in the same room as them, and if they are on a different floor, the arrow gets all wonky and gives what appear to be ‘random’ directions. Last time this happened, it looked like they were in the unit next door!

Also, it can be a PITA to get your phone to ‘reconnect’ to the AirTag to even get UWB to work. When we actually ‘lost’ some car keys, it wasn’t until the 3rd time that I entered the garage, that the phone reconnected and actually allowed me to find the keys (beeping also doesn’t work until the phone connects).

You simply can’t count on an AirTag to find something in the ‘wild’. In your house or another controlled area, like your office, sure, but if you lose something in a parking structure, letting you know it’s in the structure is all you can count on. Now, you could enable lost mode, so that if someone else finds it, they’d be able to get in touch with you.
Date: March 02, 2024 12:49AM
I’ve used Tiles for my keys for several years. And in terms of locating When it is close to me , I much prefer it. The locator app does a better job of showing relative distance faster then AirTags.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2024 12:50AM by pqrst.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020