advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
storing spaghetti sauce
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 25, 2024 01:12PM
A big batch of spaghetti sauce is simmering on the stovetop. We've never had a big batch before, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to store it. We might not use it for months, so my guess is freezing. But how? I know I want to get as much air out as I can for freezing, but I'm not sure of the best way. I'm leaning toward Ziplok bags but thinking there's probably a better way. Glass jars? Tupperware? I don't have and am not about to buy mason jars just for this. Any next best suggestions? Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: storing spaghetti sauce
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 25, 2024 01:15PM
Glass jars. Fill nearly up top. This is when it's at room temperature of course. Freeze.

Hurts like a bastid...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2024 01:15PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 25, 2024 01:18PM
Cool it quickly on ice if possible then tupperware or ziplocks.

Posted by: davester
Date: February 25, 2024 01:27PM
Glass jars may shatter because the water in the sauce will expand when it freezes. I would use Ziplocs. When freezing, I typically zip the bag almost shut and then just suck out the remaining air with my mouth before completely closing it. For safety, minimize the time that the sauce is at room temperature by pouring the hot sauce into temporary containers (bowls) and putting them in the fridge before freezing.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2024 01:29PM by davester.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 25, 2024 01:35PM
....I use the large round plastic noodle containers in chinese restaurant (like the ones for soup but double the size). chinese places usually use it for ramen/noodles or congee orders.....

.....leave some room at top for when it freezes and expands....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 25, 2024 01:41PM
Of course, I googled right after posting here (I would have still asked here anyway) and two of the more interesting ways I discovered was flat in Ziplok bags, then freezing so that the flat bags stack neatly in freezer. And poured into muffin trays, then frozen, then put into Ziplok bags. Every time I've tried glass or hard plastic containers I seem to get a lot of ice crystals and freezer burn.

For safety, minimize the time that the sauce is at room temperature by pouring the hot sauce into temporary containers (bowls) and putting them in the fridge before freezing.

Ooh, thats a good idea for making proper portion sizes, too.

Thanks.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 25, 2024 02:00PM
Spouse freezes in Ziplocs laid flat, as mentioned, on a baking sheet in our chest freezer.

Then once frozen remove baking sheet & stack in freezer.
Date: February 25, 2024 02:22PM
I've never ever had an issue withtomato sauce getting to room temp before freezing and I've been doing this for decades.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 25, 2024 02:46PM
If you put hot (or even warm) sauce in a jar, seal it, and place the jar into the fridge, as it cools, it (as well as the air in the jar) will contract. The larger the temperature change, the greater the vacuum that will be created. Leave an inch at the top.
So far we haven't died .... yet.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Date: February 25, 2024 03:11PM
Fritz
If you put hot (or even warm) sauce in a jar, seal it, and place the jar into the fridge, as it cools, it (as well as the air in the jar) will contract. The larger the temperature change, the greater the vacuum that will be created. Leave an inch at the top.

I think the fridge would be best, at least initially. the only time I've had a jar crack was when I did this with warm liquid and put it into the freezer.

Hurts like a bastid...
Date: February 25, 2024 03:16PM
prolly right. been a while .

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 25, 2024 03:55PM
Tiangou
Cool it quickly on ice if possible then tupperware or ziplocks.

This is what I do with tupperware containers.

JoeM
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 25, 2024 03:57PM
Learn how to can, it isn't that hard. Then you just store it in the pantry. I've been putting up marinara for years.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: gadje
Date: February 25, 2024 09:08PM

it may take another 50 or 100 years, but you will die.

And pay taxes until then. These are the 2 things you can't escape.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 26, 2024 09:03AM
I froze some soup in mason jars and most of the jars broke. So I think the jars are thinner than they used to be. I allowed for expansion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2024 12:34PM by Dennis S.
Date: February 26, 2024 09:04AM
as long as I don't end up in Texas.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: davester
Date: February 26, 2024 01:14PM
Dennis S
I froze some soup in mason jars and most of the jars broke. So I think the jars are thinner than they used to be. I allowed for expansion.

The amount of expansion of water-containing liquids due to the phase change of water from liquid to solid (i.e. freezing) is quite large because crystalline ice takes up much more space than the same number of molecules of liquid water. This is just basic chemistryand is why frozen pipes explode in winter and why ice floats on water. Leaving space at the top of the jar for expansion will not help because the expansion occurs in place throughout the body of the sauce. The expansion occurring at the bottom of the jar is not relieved by the air space at the top of the jar, which is why the jar breaks. The only way to deal with this expansion is by having a container that is flexible throughout. Even rigid plastic containers will split open when you freeze water-containing liquids in them.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2024 01:21PM by davester.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020