advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Floors being sanded/finished... what do I need to know?
Posted by: volcs0
Date: May 03, 2007 06:08AM
The floor guys are coming next week to sand and finish the wood floors in our living room and dining room. So far, we've not been very successful figuring out what we need to do to prepare the house.

Any advice? We hear there is a lot of dust. Should we tape the cabinets shut in the kitchen?

Apparently, they are using water-based finish, so we can supposedly be in the house while the floors are drying. But is that really a good idea? Should we get a hotel?

Any advice is appreciated. We both grew up with wall-to-wall carpeting, so this wood floor stuff is new to us.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Floors being sanded/finished... what do I need to know?
Posted by: papercup
Date: May 03, 2007 06:54AM
If the contractors are using modern sanders, the dust will be minimum to moderate. (the machines vacuum as they go). Older or other styles WILL add a lot of fine dust, an you or the contractors should hang large Visquene sheets (plastic) to block off other areas, nd cover all electronics.

Water-borne finishes will have a smell, but not overly strong. Is the stain waterr-borne as well?

My last re-finish was an oil stain (VERY SMELLY), followed by a water-borne finish. (slight odor)

Remember to not place any furniture on the new floors for as long as possible, 3-5 days for rugs and heavy furniture.

Your contractor should tell you all of this, and remember to vacuum your new floor often to remove fine grit, which is the main cause of wear. They sell lightweight wood floor vacuums & cleaners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2007 06:57AM by papercup.
Posted by: Mike V
Date: May 03, 2007 08:49AM
Yeah, water based doesn't smell THAT bad, but it's a good excuse to take the little lady for a night out and stay in a hotel.

I can't believe I just typed that.

Posted by: 3d
Date: May 03, 2007 08:56AM
papercup
Remember to not place any furniture on the new floors for as long as possible, 3-5 days for rugs and heavy furniture.

I would go even further and wait a solid week before putting furniture back in the room. That stuff takes a looooong time to fully cure(?) and dry out. A bed frame or dresser would surely muck up your pristine floors if you start placing heavy things back in the room too early. Better safe than sorry!
Posted by: billb
Date: May 03, 2007 09:18AM
Running through that room in stocking-feet when they're done can be harmful to your health.
I recommend several coats of wax to improve the flight.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 03, 2007 11:12AM
Some people have strong reactions to the so called water borne finishes...sometimes floor sanders say "water borne" and they aren't, in fact, using a water borne product. you would be surprised at how many floor finishing guys have no clue as to what these products contain. Many f these guys think that if it's not a petroleum based product then it is a water borne product. Not true

There are commercial varieties with a two part system (you add a catalyst) that can be very annoying to some folk because they contain formaldehyde and other crap, sore throat city. Be aware that these products can outgas for quite a while. Ask your floor guy if he is using a two part product.

Yes, wait a good week before you start moving furniture around and take your shoes off to walk around. It takes a while for these finishes to actually harden.

As for dust...always better to be overprepared for it. It's the very fine stuff that travels and it's not good for you.
Posted by: ho'ard
Date: May 03, 2007 07:28PM
They're probably not using stain, otherwise you would have mentioned that. Staining floors is usually not a great idea unless you're dead set on it- lots of potential to come out looking bad.

What you need to know--
There is dust but it's not anytthing like the fine airborne stuff you would see with drywalling.
Looks more like fine sawdust with semi-curly scrapings in it where they had to scrape by hand.
If there are baseboards they are likely to remove some portion of them (this is desireable) so be aware of that-- is replacing them part of the bid? Things to ask, learned the hard way.

It ought to be ready to walk on in 48 hours. It;s going to show dust and dirt really bad at first . . . you should have been given a choice between a satin and a glossy finish-- satin should be more forgiving.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020