advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Happy Birthday to DealMac!
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: March 31, 2024 07:17PM
Twenty-seven years ago today, the DealMac forums were founded! Yes, that means it was 1997.

For those who don't know, the MacResource forums really stemmed from the DealMac forums, as DealMac made a decision to totally restructure their forums, and a ton of the regulars at the forum didn't like it, so MacResource created this forum, which was more along the lines of the original DealMac forum structure.

Doug

[www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Happy Birthday to DealMac!
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 31, 2024 07:26PM
smileys with beer
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 31, 2024 07:26PM
Wow. Time flies when you're having fun!hamster dance

Posted by: Tiangou
Date: March 31, 2024 07:27PM
The UnDoug
...as DealMac made a decision to totally restructure their forums, and a ton of the regulars at the forum didn't like it...

...And DM suddenly started banning forum posters for such crimes as posting deals from other sites and mentioning the existence of other forums.

It was a crazy time. A very sudden and draconian crackdown on perfectly normal and previously accepted behavior.

...Anyone know if Jimmy's doing alright?

Posted by: Randalls
Date: March 31, 2024 07:35PM
You forum members have saved me on Mac and non-Mac problems so many times. This all leads back to our fearless sponsor OWC. So thank you all.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 31, 2024 07:49PM
Is this some kind of new draconian math?
Twenty-seven freaking years?!
Really? REALLY?!!

cool smiley
==
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 31, 2024 08:16PM
A very pregnant quarter century. I think I'll cue up Long Time by Boston just because.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 31, 2024 08:35PM
....deal....or no deal....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 31, 2024 08:48PM
Happy birthday!

I was largely away during the Big Mess, just came back on a regular basis to find dealmac a ghost town. Then registered here in 2006 and stopped visiting DM.
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 31, 2024 09:17PM
I bought my *First Mac in Feb '97 and found DealMac soon after. I remember asking a newbie Mac question and receiving about 30 responses. thumbs up

I still regularly look at Dealnews.

*PowerMac 7300 & Applivision display for $3k

Northern California Coast
Posted by: jonny
Date: March 31, 2024 09:25PM
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 31, 2024 09:44PM
It still amazes me that we were able to find MRF en mass as we were not allowed to mention it on DM (and when we did, the post was deleted and the poster banned)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 31, 2024 09:48PM
Ombligo
It still amazes me that we were able to find MRF en mass as we were not allowed to mention it on DM (and when we did, the post was deleted and the poster banned)

There was a whole lot of private messaging going on during the Great Migration of 2005.
==
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 31, 2024 09:54PM
Wow! I was a young man, loving the advice from the 40 and 50 year olds!

I will raise a toast to those who didn't get this far!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: March 31, 2024 10:06PM
Ombligo

I can't remember the details, but some months after DM was becoming a ghost town, someone posted a cryptic reference to this place. Thank You to whoever that was!
Posted by: jonny
Date: March 31, 2024 10:06PM
Buzz
Ombligo

There was a whole lot of private messaging going on during the Great Migration of 2005.
==

Yeah... I hung around in the ghost town for a few weeks before I figured out where everyone went!
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 31, 2024 10:09PM
Brian Moon is shining today. (or he's mooning everyone here … who knows?)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 31, 2024 10:29PM
Damn… I’m old. Considering I started haunting DM before the great registration demand… I think I was on there in.. 93 ?
Posted by: August West
Date: March 31, 2024 11:12PM
deal-mac

“Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it."

Posted by: GGD
Date: March 31, 2024 11:53PM
cbelt3
Damn… I’m old. Considering I started haunting DM before the great registration demand… I think I was on there in.. 93 ?

Did the DM site really exist in 93? What would Mac users even use to access it? Mosiac for the Mac was first released near the very end of 1993, and the web was pretty much a ghost town around then, Yahoo didn't even exist then.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 01, 2024 02:07AM
Ombligo

It didn't work so smoothly for everyone. I missed out on this and didn't find this place until about two years later. Not even sure how I even got here. Destiny I guess.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 01, 2024 02:45AM
Ah, yes, I remember it well.

Petro, Killer Squirrel, black and white printer for magazine proofing...

This side of MRF has a degree of civility that dealmac lacked — to some degree.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jardster
Date: April 01, 2024 06:29AM
This all makes me feel old.

Time to celebrate with hookers and booze!

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 01, 2024 07:56AM
What I recall (and miss) was the rapid fire posting and answering. But those were heady days of the internet and I guess we've moved on (regressed to a large extent, too).

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: hal
Date: April 01, 2024 12:07PM
I never did get around to reading that woodchuck thread and have no idea what was going on there...
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: April 01, 2024 12:46PM
For some reason I found Deal Mac while looking for some advice, or maybe just by accident. There was a lot of interesting discussion, but the political and technical were not formally separated into different forums. Instead, posters would lead with OT (for off topic) and go with that. Having arrived in perhaps 1999 or so, I didn't get all the in-jokes, and still don't understand some of the latter day references. I do remember that some of the trolling got pretty vicious. I also remember that the standard piece of advice was to zap your pram. And this leads to the following observation: Much of Deal-Mac was involved with the sorts of problems we had prior to OS10 (OSX). Once OSX came in, things changed dramatically. The current systems are remarkably better, bigger, and faster than we had any right to imagine back then. There is also this thing called the cellular telephone. Kids walk in cross walks looking at phones that have more storage than existed in the entire world a few decades prior.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 01, 2024 01:02PM
I do remember that some of the trolling got pretty vicious..

Yeah, that shouldn't have been allowed to go on so long.

There was a DM effort to stop the Killer Squirrel but not so much for the worst of the trolls, 2.5 of which come to mind.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 01, 2024 01:37PM
~*Jerk Sharp M.C.P.*~
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 01, 2024 02:21PM
Ombligo

I was on the slow side - took me about ten years.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 01, 2024 02:58PM
SDGuy
Ombligo

I can't remember the details, but some months after DM was becoming a ghost town, someone posted a cryptic reference to this place. Thank You to whoever that was!

I stayed around DM for a few years afterwards, I left more than a few vague references to this place. Answered a number of PMs with details on how to get here over the next several years.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: April 01, 2024 07:15PM
Sadly, archive.org doesn't seem to have a good capture of the forum prior to April 2006... Already had 5,000+ posts under my 3rd handle!

[web.archive.org]

Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 02, 2024 02:46AM
Tiangou
Sadly, archive.org doesn't seem to have a good capture of the forum prior to April 2006... Already had 5,000+ posts under my 3rd handle!

[web.archive.org]

I recall DM had the forum pages marked to not be crawled for archiving. They left it that way after the reorganization, but didn't tag the index pages. So if you try and go down the links on the WayBack Machine, the actual posts aren't archived.

When DM announced the forums were going to end, someone was trying to arrange for a dump of he content as an archive. Don't recall if that actually happened, and if it did its existence wasn't advertised.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: April 02, 2024 05:45AM
I went freelance and bought my first Mac (Performa 6400) in early 1997. No longer having work-provided tech support and not willing to pay a third party, I decided to educate myself. The Apple Forums and DealMac were my first two discoveries. Unfortunately, both eventually sub-divided their forums to the point that both became unusable to me.

Years later the MacMinute’s forum did the same. I tried to warn them, citing the demise of DealMac but no one listened and now they’re also gone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020