advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Storage Companies are Satan.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: May 05, 2007 12:50PM
I just got off the phone with one of the two barstardos I have to deal with. They notified my family my stuff was going into lien. My older sister panics. The bill was paid weeks ago. Called and got hung up on while they were researching my account. They refused to apologize. I am now in the theory they want to steal your stuff. They move hard and fast even if it is illegal.

Da Good Life
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Storage Companies are Satan.
Posted by: John B.
Date: May 05, 2007 04:46PM
Well, if that's the whole story, then apologies on behalf of the storage industry...you've run across a poor manager/operator, and if it were me, I'd move my stuff out of that facility at once. Most of us have thousands of dollars tied up in management software and liability insurance to make sure that we don't have errors in our lien processes.

I'll tell you, though, as a storage facility owner, I have about a million stories about customers, ranging from the "I paid my bill weeks ago"..."yes ma'am, we received your check, and it was returned for insufficient funds"..."but I paid my bill weeks ago" to issues like the unit I auctioned last week, that after close inspection, was obviously the remaining equipment from some type of indoor plant growth operation sad smiley

There are at least a couple of websites out there with state-by-state storage lien law links, one of them is www.storagelaws.com
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 05, 2007 06:00PM
What John B. said! You're only giving one side of the story here. Did you see if the check was cashed? I doubt very seriously that a storage facility would go forward with a lein sale without absolutely knowing for certain they were following the letter of the law. Whom do you think would be open to a lawsuit if your property was wrongly sold?

Are you habitually behind in your rent? They might be fed up with you. You might be more bother than what your worth.

I also own and operate a self storage facility and can't believe the excuses people give me for not paying on time. I always give my tenants the benefit of the doubt, but over time their true colors will shine through. The excuse I hear most often for non payment is: "Sorry I haven't paid my rent, but there's been a death in the family".

Ok, fine. So you've had a death in the family. My condolences. So, you just stopped paying all your bills? Funny thing is that the storage rent seems to be the only bill neglected in this time of sorrow. Imagine that.

After 11 years in this game, I've just about heard it all. I seem to have three types of tenants,

V.I.P.s who are NEVER late and respect the rules of the facility

Middle of the road folks who may need a reminder, but always come through

And finally, the 1 percenters, who are always making excuses about being late, then act like they are doing you a favor when they finally do pay, NOT following the rules outlined in the rental agreement, and usually trashing up the place by littering, leaving behind junk that they no longer want, etc, etc, etc.

Ack! I'm venting now. Minty, you've struck a nerve! Now tell me, which of the three types of tenants listed above most describes you?

BTW, lein sales are a real drag. I would rather folks just paid their rent the way they agreed. I have enough junk of my own, I certainly don't need any more.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: May 05, 2007 09:53PM
I am habitually late by a day or two because they demand immediate payment. 30 days is normal payment in business. I mean they are not the government. Never missed a month. Never bounced a check in my life.

Not going to drop everthing to pay these annoying bills.

Da Good Life
Posted by: John B.
Date: May 05, 2007 10:02PM
Well, uh, yeah...that's not exactly the same situation you described in the initial post.

30 days may be "normal" in business somewhere...but what does your contract and state self storage statute say about late payments? FWIW, most of my vendor bills come with a due date, and there isn't a 30-day pad on them.

I'm happy to accept payments from customers 30 days late, but they will be paying additional fees and they won't have access to the goods stored in their unit until the bill is paid (as defined by my state self storage statute).
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 05, 2007 11:05PM
Those bastard capitalist pigs! They just want their damned money!

Communism, Minty! Embrace it!

Annoying bills are the tool of the running dog capitalist pigs!

Workers (and storers) of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your annoying bills!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 06, 2007 05:41AM
Spear,

Definitely something missing here and from my experience and the tone of your post, I doubt it's on the storage companie's end. I've had to rent space in a local facility for about two years. It's proven an unfortunate necessity. However, I've never been late on my rent. Ever. The one time a payment didn't go through, I received a notice in the mail. A quick run to the facility after work revealed one of their employees didn't process a change in my billing correctly. It was corrected in a matter of minutes.

Robert
Posted by: Wild eep
Date: May 06, 2007 05:47AM
spearmint
I am habitually late by a day or two because they demand immediate payment.
Not going to drop everthing to pay these annoying bills.

I think that answers your question Rick-o
Date: May 06, 2007 08:49AM
I guess I overspoke. Normally I am early and even when I am not a lien sounds a little over the top. This time it was their error and I got no apology. It is a lot of money for a big cabinet. The two spaces I have in San Diego are shabby plywood with no elevator up one floor. That cost me $200 with the moving company. Within the state no guarantee on the freight rate.

From beginning to today Old Town Storage in San Diego has been rude, cheated me and acted like I was a nuisance. Ten plus years and over $12000 and I get treated like dirt. They send an invoice and want payment in eight days.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: May 06, 2007 09:16AM
They send an invoice and want payment in eight days.

You are aware, as spelled out in your rental contract, that the rent is due on a certain day? So just make sure it's paid on or before same. It appears you're attempting to equate a rental agreement with an open invoice purchase. It ain't tongue sticking out smiley

Here on the east coast, I have several major storage facilities as clients. They are well maintained, fully insured and alarmed, and they all offer climate controlled units. The multi-level buildings all have dual elevators. As others have previously noted, liens & auctions are the last thing the operators want to deal with. It's a p-i-t-a and auctions seldom result in covering the past due rent and expenses.

Either pay the rent by the due date or find another facility that will accommodate your special needs.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 06, 2007 11:04AM
Spearmint,

In my experience it is absolutely rare that a company will treat a client in the manner you described from day one. Exceedingly rare. Over time, sure, I've seen it happen but never from day one. If it does happen, it's usually the result of an incident between the client and the company. It doesn't happen out of the blue.

As for sending an invoice and wanting payment in X number of days, it's as if they've commited a crime by asking that you pay rent for the storage area and have it in their hands within a specific amount of time. What's the issue? They are entitled to the money in a timely manner.

What I'm wondering is why you're still with them. If they've been "rude, cheated youand acted like you were a nuisance", then you should've taken your business elsewhere immediately.

Robert
Posted by: Silencio
Date: May 06, 2007 09:09PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2007 09:13PM by Silencio.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020