advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Moving pictures and tunes to a new User Account
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 06, 2007 09:40AM
I'm helping the daughter of a friend create her own User account, so that the family's Mac isn't all one giant conglomeration of everything all in one space.

I've never worked with User accounts, though, and while setting up the basic account was easy, I'm confused about how to get her photos and songs from the original single Admin User Account over to hers. I originally thought that I'd just drag pic files into a new folder, and then drag them into the new iPhoto account, but I got nothing but error messages.

I've searched Apple's Help menu and did a few google searches, but can't find anything that describes how to do this. Has anyone had any experience in creating User Accounts after the fact, and then trying to move pics and songs over from the Admin to the new user account?

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Moving pictures and tunes to a new User Account
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 07, 2007 02:19AM
Log in as the admin, and move all her files into the Users/shared folder. Then she can log into her account and copy the files out of there. You are running into permissions issues because you are trying to copy files between different users, you can't do that directly.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re: Moving pictures and tunes to a new User Account
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 07, 2007 08:23AM
So if I understand: the Shared Folder is a special folder that allows an interim step that somehow neutralizes the ownership of files, which then allows any user to move/copy those files into their own User account. Is this correct?

I'm asking because yesterday, I had her sign into the Admin account, and then drag both the entire Music and Pictures folders over to her new User account. This required Authenticating (she put in the Admin's password) as well as completely replacing the Music and PIctures folders (which were empty anyway). However, she now has permissions problems, and can't access either of those folders. I was thinking that the next step would be to start up from the Tiger disk, and reset the password.

But if I hear you correctly, what she needs to do is: 1. drag those 2 folders into this sort of Swiss-neutral Shared folder first, then switch over to her new User account, and then drag those folders from the Shared to the Music/Picture folders. Is this right?

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 183
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020