advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Suggestions
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 14, 2005 02:08AM
How come after I make a post on page 2 (or any page other than the first page) I get redirected to the 1st page after the post is made?

Make sense?

I would like to be able to remain on the page where I made my post, regardless of what page that was, instead of being sent all the way to the front page.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 14, 2005 02:23AM
Baby Tats Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spell checking module?
>
>
> Some people have requested the User Rank Module,
> but personally, I don't need it.
>
>
>
>
> BT

Spill checker! We defenetly need a spill checker, especially over in the other room where testy posters who run dry of argument will start on the personal stuff.

Float to the top is a good feature if it contains an abuse control (like a mod can disable it).

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2005 02:27AM by RgrF.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: December 14, 2005 11:25AM
We need a spelling TEST. That way if you don't pass, you don't POST.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: December 14, 2005 11:32AM
Can we have a master ignore button on the offending poster's profile so that their posts don't even show up in threads?
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: December 14, 2005 11:34AM
You would never have anybody to communicate with then, G-man... Why do you want that?

grinning smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Wolf Larsen
Date: December 14, 2005 12:28PM
Another vote for blocking images!
Posted by: GeneL
Date: December 14, 2005 12:35PM
Another vote for not blocking images or make it an option for Wolf smiling smiley

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: December 14, 2005 02:16PM
I browse in tabs. Because I have several tabs at once, the names of the web pages are truncated.

In the case of this site, I usually only see the first 3-4 characters of the name of a given page until I click on that tab.

What I see for each tab representing a page on this site is this:

Mac...

It would be useful if instead of titling each page like this...

Macresource Forums :: Tips and Deals :: Suggestions

...it was titled like this:

Suggestions - Macresource Forums :: Tips and Deals

...or something like that where the name of the thread comes first.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 14, 2005 05:09PM
Regarding spellcheck,

1. The dictionary is very limited.
2. A user cannot add to the dictionary
3. Since spellcheck was added, this site has been less responsive and has even crashed my browser.
4. When checking for alternate spellings, no method is given to select the alternate (unlike the built-in spellchecking.)
5. This is a Mac-related forum. Most Mac web browsers automatically check spelling as one types. Since the spellcheck mod was added, the forum has been less responsive and has even crashed my browser. The spellcheck mod doesn't seem like the best use of resources when considering most browsers here will do that to begin with.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mrp-admin
Date: December 14, 2005 06:13PM
Mavic, I'll remove the spellcheck mod for the evening. Let me know tomorrow if you notice an improvement.

Also, for everyone else as well, in the forum settings there is now a disable images box. Please try it out and let me know if that is what everyone is wanting.
Thanks
Jim
Date: December 14, 2005 06:32PM
Thanks! So far I haven't felt the lag, and the preview page is downright snappy.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 14, 2005 06:33PM
Jim, can the disable images be a separate setting from disable smileys?
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 14, 2005 08:30PM
Gosh we are a picky bunch. No wonder they wanted to get rid of us. smiling bouncing smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 14, 2005 08:42PM
Bump smiling smiley

Posted by: wurm (IP Logged) [Ignore]
Date: December 12, 2005 11:02PM

Okay, here's one for you as long as I'm being greedy and lazy.
Is is possible to make the xx new, a link that would bring you directly to the new posts when you click on it?

This is for those of us who prefer the non-threaded view. Danke.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 14, 2005 11:13PM
Can the Stickies be set to NOT show in threaded view, even if we have our forum options set to threaded view? I am pretty sure I have seen this done before. Please and thank you.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 15, 2005 12:51AM
Add the Tiny URL option [tinyurl.com].

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Date: December 15, 2005 11:11AM
$tevie Wrote:
> Can the Stickies be set to NOT show in threaded
> view, even if we have our forum options set to
> threaded view? I am pretty sure I have seen this
> done before. Please and thank you.

$tevie, if the "new" link took you directly to the first post you hadn't yet read in a thread, would that be enough for you to switch from threaded view? It would be for me.

Date: December 15, 2005 11:24AM
I like threaded view. Sometimes I will read a thread I would never normally look at, for example about cars, because I see a lot of folks that I enjoy are posting to it. And it works in reverse: sometimes I skip a thread because I'm not so enthralled with the people on it.
Date: December 15, 2005 11:31AM
$tevie Wrote:
> I like threaded view. Sometimes I will read a
> thread I would never normally look at, for example
> about cars, because I see a lot of folks that I
> enjoy are posting to it. And it works in reverse:
> sometimes I skip a thread because I'm not so
> enthralled with the people on it.

Good point. I do the same. Threaded view also needs to be set to chronological order.

Posted by: TheTominator
Date: December 15, 2005 12:50PM
mrp-admin Wrote:
> Also, for everyone else as well, in the forum
> settings there is now a disable images box.
> Please try it out and let me know if that is what
> everyone is wanting.

When I set to disable images, the images were successfully removed from the posts. (Good work.) But there was no trace that an image was there. It would be useful if a link to the image was presented so that I view individual ones if desired. Additionally the presence of the image link provides a better context for what the person may be saying in the post. Lacking any trace of an image, some posts appear to be nonsensical because the poster assumes readers can see the image.
Date: December 15, 2005 01:30PM
Yes, I am accustomed to having a link to the unseen images. I do like to check some images out -- when everybody in a thread is cooing "cute baby!" or "nice wuppie!" it's nice to be able to see for yourself.
Date: December 15, 2005 01:37PM
Revisiting my suggestion about naming the thread pages with the thread/topic's name FIRST instead of the site name, I'd like to point out that "the site that must be nameless" does it with the topic's name first.

It makes it much easier to find the right thread when I've got many tabs open.
Date: December 15, 2005 01:48PM
Bouncing ALL the way back to the top after you post is NOT COOL. Kinda makes you not wanna post very far away from the top of page 1.

angry smiley angry smiley angry smiley angry smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

— David Rains Wallace
Date: December 15, 2005 02:04PM
I have to repeat my agreement with Bill.

Also, my one other annoyance is that there are no links for the two forum categories at the bottom of the threaded posts sad smiley

This means I have to scroll back to the top of the page in order to select a forum category.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Posted by: Monster
Date: December 15, 2005 04:03PM
how about an indicator between post and image

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Date: December 15, 2005 04:20PM
I'm glad to see that there now are the forum links at the bottom of the page!

Now, if they can both be stacked on the left side smiling smiley
Date: December 15, 2005 04:58PM
Ouch!

Still need to put the two forum links at the bottom of the front page as well as on the threaded posts>
Please smiling bouncing smiley
Date: December 15, 2005 06:04PM
Cool!

Thank you for changing the page-titles.

That's much better. smiling smiley
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 17, 2005 04:02AM
Can it beset so you go to the first unread post instead of the first post?

and when your done, it takes you back to the place in the topic list you left from instead of the first topic on the first page?

Great place - even if no changes are ever made again. THANKS

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: December 17, 2005 05:44AM
I'd like to second, third, fourth and fifth...what Ombligo posted. PLUS, I will add a "pretty-please" grinning smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

— David Rains Wallace
Date: December 17, 2005 09:10AM
I promised myself that I wasn't going to ask for anything else, I'm just happy to be here, but let me add a vote for what Ombligo asked for and Whiip seconded, thirded, fourthed..... Going to the first new post would be super-dooper. And going back to the spot you left would be nice, too.

Thanks again, Santa, for all your hard work filling our many Christmas wishes. I still say we are a picky bunch. smiling bouncing smiley
Date: December 17, 2005 11:58AM
One more teensy thing, plez...

The links at the bottom of the page for "Friendly Political Ranting" and "Tips and Deals" are real close to the link to "Mark All Messages Read."

I like having the links down there, but it's real easy to accidentally click on the wrong link when aiming for "Mark All Messages Read."

Could you move the "Friendly Political Ranting" and "Tips and Deals" links down another line so they're not so easy to click by mistake?
Posted by: h'
Date: December 17, 2005 06:27PM
I don't feel so strongly about going to last unread post, but you really should return to topic after posting.

Also, on stickies--
I know others aren't as bugged by this, but I find stale stickies annoying. Could they be set to expire after a certain number of days if not renewed?

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 17, 2005 06:34PM
Would it be possible to just do away with sigs?

Sigs are annoyingly repetitive and usually only humorous to the poster after—ohhh i don't know—the umpteenth time. ESPECIALLY sigs with images in them. Cats, babies, animated geckos, etc.

I mean really... the poster's name is right there on the top of the post. We all know who is saying what. Do we really need to include a sig with pithy sayings at the end of each and every post that has nothing to do with the topic?

Date: December 17, 2005 09:10PM
Well, aren't you the cat's meow??????????

drinking smiley cheers

Have another sig . . .

grinning smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

— David Rains Wallace
Date: December 17, 2005 10:20PM
Can't those people who dislike sigs so much just turn off images, or does that not work? It might not block smilies, which by the way I like, but it could keep people from seeing all our kitties, geckos, babies, and anything else that is linked to an image.

I'm not exactly sure how they should proceed to get their panties out of the giant wad they appear to be in. But I hope they can figure that one out on their own.

There is a sig picture to follow, in case anyone needs to scroll really quickly.

Date: December 17, 2005 11:15PM
It's not posted images in general that annoy some people. Personally i like posted images in threads that are on topic. So just checking off a box that blocks all images in the forum would not work for some people.

It's the repetitive nature of sigs and images in sigs that is annoying to some people.

Panties in a giant wad? I'll take the high road and not even go there.

rgG, you seem to be taking it personally. Don't.

Date: December 18, 2005 01:27AM
While I have never taken the time to figure out how to configure one, I really have enjoyed the creativity that I've seen in most of the members "sigs" especially the animated ones smiling smiley

These tiny "works of art" help me know the stranger on the other end of the vast fiber optic network whom I never see. It makes them seem more like a friend who has revealed something personal about themself.

I feel that the forum would lose a lot of its "character" without them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2005 01:32AM by GeneL.
Date: December 18, 2005 01:39AM
Hey, i'm not some stodgy bitter old fart here who can't take an amusing sig here and there. It's the repetitive nature of seeing the same sig over and over again on the same thread. Somtimes the sig takes +4X the amount of space than the actual reply. It's just like an annoying blinking .gif avatar constantly bombarding you while you're reading.

How about being a little considerate to the community and keeping sigs to one line?
And images/avatars in sigs to one inch in height?

Is that too much to ask?

Most of the "in-crowd" here uses sigs. I hope i don't step on too many toes.
Date: December 18, 2005 01:40AM
That's just your opinion, you could be wrong.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
-beerman
Date: December 18, 2005 01:41AM

-beerman
Date: December 18, 2005 01:42AM

-beerman
Posted by: pinion
Date: December 18, 2005 04:05AM
3d Wrote:
> Hey, i'm not some stodgy bitter old fart here who
> can't take an amusing sig here and there. It's the
> repetitive nature of seeing the same sig over and
> over again on the same thread. Somtimes the sig
> takes +4X the amount of space than the actual
> reply. It's just like an annoying blinking .gif
> avatar constantly bombarding you while you're
> reading.
>
> How about being a little considerate to the
> community and keeping sigs to one line?
> And images/avatars in sigs to one inch in height?
>
>
> Is that too much to ask?
>
> Most of the "in-crowd" here uses sigs. I hope i
> don't step on too many toes.

I understand what you mean about the repetitve nature. That is why Most of the time in the same thread I try to remember unticking "Add my signature to this post." then I just sign the post with my name manually. However I do agree with the fact that it gives character to the board and an insight into who that person is and what they like. Obviouslly since there is a picture of myself in my sig I like my self. A lot. A whole lot. I mean I really .... nevermind. Is there a way that we could allow people to turn off the viewing of sigs. I'm sure its not impossible but probably a lot of work. That sounds like what you are asking for 3d.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: Phy
Date: December 18, 2005 10:16AM
Gee, h', you're triply opinionated today!
:-)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 18, 2005 12:37PM
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, admins, can't we have a separate option to turn off viewing of this silly smileys?

Case in point: [forums.macresource.com]

What would be nice is, if when the option to disable it turned on, it just converts graphic smileys back to ASCII ones, rather than making them disappear completely.
Date: December 18, 2005 01:02PM
This debate reminds me of the example used to disparage having too many people involved in decision making.

You know the one: "a camel is a horse designed by a committee."

On the other hand, it points to the desire of the forum members to participate and to make the forum their own. That's a good thing in my mind, even if I don't agree with all the ideas.

The one issue that bothers me is that we've become too bogged down in format since dm changed and we're carrying the nitpicking over in topics like this.

On the "good" side, I am happy to see the large number of posts on the wide variety of topics. This would seem to indicate that this forum has a healthy future.

I feel a bit sad for tempe, since it appears that her? valiant effort to provide a place for us, disenfranchised dealmacers, has been eclipsed by this forum.

She did come up with some good ideas in her format.

All in all, I don't really care whether there are any more changes to the format. I'm pretty satisfied with Larry's response to all the suggestions and I'm glad to see so many familiar names showing up in the threads.

GeneL

(no sig, no smiley)
Date: December 18, 2005 02:35PM
Here, here GeneL.

I'm leaving the sig pic in this post.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 18, 2005 02:39PM
Tempe is a she?

Huh... where have I been? That slipped right by me....

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: December 18, 2005 03:53PM
Paul F. Wrote:
> Tempe is a she?
>
> Huh... where have I been? That slipped right by
> me....

That would be news to me as well, but what do I know???????? Obviously, NOT MUCH!!!

Someone help us, please...

drinking smiley cheers

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

— David Rains Wallace
Date: December 18, 2005 03:53PM
I really don't know, but I seemed to remember something in a post on Macinform that suggested tempe was a "she?"

If I'm wrong, I apologize and will stand corrected :^)

GeneL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020