advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
drilling hole into steel rod -what to use?
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: May 10, 2007 01:10PM
I need to drill into the end of a 1/2" steel rod, just deep enough to attach a screw into it. Hole will need to be maybe 1/8" diam, and let's say ~ 3/8" deep. What to use, a dremel? Will I need a special bit?
This is not a precision job, it needs to support just an ounce or so; If hole is not perfect, I will secure the screw in it w/glue. May have to anyway, as I won't be tapping threads for it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: drilling hole into steel rod -what to use?
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: May 10, 2007 01:23PM
You need a vise or some how to clamp the rod, maybe a C-clamp to a large board. Then make the spot for the hole with a center punch or drywall screw (hit it with a hammer to make a dimple in the rod you are trying to drill). This will prevent your drill from wondering off.

Next put a metal bit in a drill motor (handheld electric drill) or Drimmel and start drilling. You should be able to drill a 1/8" hole in one pass, as deep as you need.

Good luck and don't forget to wear something on your eyes (safety glasses, sun glasses, reading glasses).

Fred Also
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 10, 2007 01:23PM
Is this hole to be in the end of the rod, parallel to the rod, or at the end of the rod perpendicular to the rod?

In any event, I'd use a spring loaded center punch to me a decent starting point and then just use a hand-held power drill.

A drill press would probably be better, but the real problem would be supporting the rod.

Not tapping the hole will make that a little tough, because self-tapping screws may not have much purchase in the rod.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: May 10, 2007 01:28PM
You can get a metal-drilling (cobalt) bit and a tap (why wouldn't you tap it?) from any decent hardware store.

Dimple and drill as above, but stop and put a drop of mineral oil in the hole every once in awhile until you're done drilling. It will help keep the bit from overheating and dulling before you're done.

Drill it slowly. Heat is the enemy. You'll quickly kill your bit and find yourself leaning into it -- 'might even snap the bit from the pressure -- if you don't drill slowly.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 10, 2007 01:37PM
and getting a broken cobalt drill bit out is not one of life's more entertaining afternoons.
Posted by: Pat
Date: May 10, 2007 01:39PM
Tek screw? #10 x 1/2, 5/8 whatever. Go slow and use a couple so they don't bind up and snap the head off.
Date: May 10, 2007 01:50PM
the type of steel the rod is will make a huge difference. Any idea what it is? I or Paul could toss out a few common types, but unless you know, the names would be meaningless.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 10, 2007 02:08PM
Where did the rod come from? If it's from a hardware store, it's probably cold rolled, nice and soft, easy to drill (as steel goes, anyway).
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 10, 2007 02:46PM
Take a file..
Try to file the rod a bit.

If the file cuts the steel, no problem... drill it with whatever you have handy for a drill. If you're buying a drill anyway, I'd suggest a cobalt bit, or high speed steel at the least. The cheaper carbon steel drills will WORK.. but not as nicely.

As others have mentioned, center punch where you're going to drill the hole. Otherwise the drill will wander everywhere EXCEPT where you want the hole.

Clamp the rod to something... do NOT hold it in one hand and try to drill a hole in it with the other... unless you enjoy bleeding (you're going to slip... and drill a hole in your meaty self..).

Proper cutting oil is best.. but in a pinch, WD40 makes an OK lube to use on the drill as you're drilling.

You can drill a hole the correct size, then use a tap to cut threads...
Or you can drill a hole about the correct size and use a self tapping screw..maybe...
Or you can drill a larger sized hole, smear the screw with grease, smear some JB Weld in the hold, and screw the screw into the wet JB weld, and hold it until it's dry.. then (because you coated the screw with grease) you can unscrew it again...
Don't expect much strength from threads made of JB weld, however.

Don't forget safety glasses.
Having steel chips extracted from your eyeball with a magnet is not my idea of fun.

Oh, if that file skates across the rod without cutting...forget the whole thing and find another way to accomplish your goal (drilling and tapping hardened steel is possible, but not in any way easy or entertaining...).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 10, 2007 03:26PM
To hold an ounce of load- just glue the sucker. Drilling it too much effort.

Now me- i'd weld it on ! (and prolly burn something down in the process). But I have a nice flux-cored wirefeed welder and I like to play with it. (My wife knows to bring out the fire extinguisher when she sees me putting on my gloves and speedGlass helmet)
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: May 10, 2007 06:12PM
Ah, a welder would be nice! But I believe (hope) the rod is fairly soft steel- I'll try the file test, and if it passes, proceed to center punch and drill away as instructed. Thanks.

I didn't plan on tapping the hole, because I don't have the tool for it, and assumed I'd have to buy a whole tap set for more than this task is worth. I'll see what's available at HD or Lowe's...

Btw the hole is to be into the center of the end face of the rod, drilled parallel to into it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2007 06:14PM by Psurfer.
Date: May 10, 2007 06:35PM
You can purchase single taps for just a few bucks. Go slow, and use some oil. WD-40 is fine in a pinch for something like this. Just use something.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 10, 2007 08:49PM
I've drilled into the end of a 1/2" all thread bolt using a regular bit. I think the ends were hardened, but I could be wrong. Seemed like once I got the bit in a fraction of an inch it was easy going, but very slow.
Posted by: h'
Date: May 10, 2007 09:17PM
MacMagus
You can get a metal-drilling (cobalt) bit and a tap (why wouldn't you tap it?) from any decent hardware store.

Dimple and drill as above, but stop and put a drop of mineral oil in the hole every once in awhile until you're done drilling. It will help keep the bit from overheating and dulling before you're done.

Drill it slowly. Heat is the enemy. You'll quickly kill your bit and find yourself leaning into it -- 'might even snap the bit from the pressure -- if you don't drill slowly.

This is what I would have written.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020